Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Input plse: TSL XL vs Rock beast 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Input plse: TSL XL vs Rock beast 2

Im going to buy another set of tires but am hoping to get some input, hopefully some one has had both or at least the original size 2.2 TSL since I know the XL's are new.

I want a tall tire hence the rock beast 2 and the TSL XL. I mostly run the wraith for rock crawling with dirt trails being what I run second most. I dont do much mud so thats not really a factor.

Any input between the two is appreciated. Also I like the looks of the new Ottsix U4....
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Input plse: TSL XL vs Rock beast 2

i have the pits on my wraith, and the proline swampers in various sizes on a few trucks, and all of them are great tires. im on the waiting list for the new 2.2 xl's myself.. the only terrain the pits dont absolutely shine on is powdery snow, everything else from sand to clay to slick rocks they are awesome. judging by the performance of the 1.9 xl's im going to have high expectations for these as well. long and short, they are both excellent tires and i dont think either will disappoint in performance, the cost is probably the biggest factor in this choice.. neither the pits or the ottsix have foams included, where as the prolines do, so they could end up being $15-30 cheaper for the set
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the input.

I plan on getting c.i. double deuce foams for wtvr I get so thats not a huge issue.

My buddies that I crawl with run the Super swamper boggers and they were making lines that my R35 ripsaws wouldnt. I dont want that to happen again. I have a set of weighted rovers that I should have been running but I want some better scale tires anyways.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the wraith has alloy gearhead slots, ci foams, and 4oz per wheel with the pits so even without going crazy on weight, they are awesome in all conditions.. a night/day difference over the ripsaws
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I decided to order both. Lol I was originally gonna order some VP slw wheels but that seems almost impossible as no one has all the items needed in stock. Its very frustrating

So instead I used the money that would have gone towards those and decided to get both tires and two sets axial rocksters.

Although I'm waiting on crawler innovation to get the pit bulls back in stock. I went to order the rb d.d. foam combo and apparently they are out.....

So TSL are on the way from rpp.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The pitbulls and the xls in 1.9 are great tires. I'm sure they will be the same in 2.2. Good thing you are looking at CI foams as those make the tires work the best they can.

1.9 pitbulls have been the standard in 1.9 rigs. However at this last Sundays comp with Mnrcrc my F250 with swamper xls just hooked up compared to a buddies pits that couldn't grab the same lines. My xls are good and broken in and so were his pits. No siping or shaving on either.

If for some reason you don't like the 2.2 xls, PM me and I'll take them off your hands, seriously.

DNA
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Im hoping the new TSLs will come with their memory foam. If so, is their memory foam any good? Will d.d. foam be a noticeable improvement over memory foam?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post
Im hoping the new TSLs will come with their memory foam. If so, is their memory foam any good? Will d.d. foam be a noticeable improvement over memory foam?
Not sure if they come with foams. The stock pl foam is ok. I'm personally a big fan of the double deuce. The key thing is venting the tires too. That allows the foams to work. It has a downside in that they are susceptible to taking on water in the foams, but makes them work so much better on the rocks. Also, don't judge the tires too harshly as most get better with time. A well broken in tire with the right foams and venting will kick butt

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post

No memory foam is good. Period.

CI foams are good if you don't wanna experiment.
Closed cell inners are OK but I threw away the 1 piece closed cells.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This is the best combo I've tried in my rbII. Memory inner CI outer. Work very well like this under my 8lbs rig.

I also have the small tsl. Awesome tire. I wouldn't say eithere the pit or tsl is better
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Got my tires today and holy crap the foams they came with are HUGE. Very firm too.

Unfortunately I can't try em out bc RPP hobby messed up my order and sent me some random exo parts instead of the wheels these TSLs are supposed to go on
Old 09-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Contact RPP, they'll make it right

Only issue with the tsl xl's is that they're sorrca illegal, if that's your thing. Otherwise the tread and compound on the smaller tsl's rock...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Yeah I called them as soon as I saw the issue. They are taking care of it, great customer service.

I plan on getting some rock beast ii also. I probably wont do a lot of competing but I want the option.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Any trail reports on these 2.2 xls?
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have run both the Proline tsl and the RB in both the 1.9 (scx10) and 2.2 (wroncho, wraith) Running the 2.2 RB on my Yeti now. Both tires IMO are two of the best scale performance tires available. The 2.2 TSL XL should be here this week. (Then the proline mounting battle begins)

I am not a band wagon guy. I like to try my own thing and consider myself a tire whore. I have made my foams, used a ton of different combinations. Recently ordered m first foams from CI.

YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH CI FOAMS!!!!! WIN! WIN! WIN! WIN!

Every rig I own will have CI foams on them as soon as the budget allows.
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Ha! I feel the same way brother! I use nothing but CI foams in all my rigs.

I don't even consider using stock foams for anything but packing material, lol.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have both 2.2 rb and swamper xl. After running the swampers I don't use the pitts very much. The swampers bite way better. Don't try to mount them up with the stock foams they are way too big!!! I actually used the pitbull foams in them and works perfect.
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

i own bolth and use neither, i went voodoo U4 and it trashes bolth those tires
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Voodoos for the win.
Dirt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #20

i have ran growlers, rock beasts and mad beasts, i have run proline swampers and the swamper xl's. i ran iroks ans boggers and rover's and a few more... my tire choice up to a few months ago was the swamper xl's untill i got my ottsix u4 tire... i know there is no tire thats good for everything but i love these u4 tires... in the terrain i run here in Canada in either the cold snow, wet leaves or the warm rock i love these tires and as soon as there is a 1.9 option.. i will be all over them as well....ottsix u4 for the win...
ParkerB is offline   Reply With Quote

Input plse: TSL XL vs Rock beast 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HERE! 2.2 Rock Beast 2 RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 11 07-14-2013 09:05 PM
Rock Beast 2.2 bishballs Tires and Wheels 1 05-14-2012 11:26 AM
Pit bull rock beast XORTM or Proline Tsl Swampers on Wraith Psycho-Savvy Tires and Wheels 17 01-21-2012 12:36 AM