Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: rc4wd mickey thompson new compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rc4wd mickey thompson new compound

I bought the new compound which are great. My question is I cut the foams in star pattern and now they are folding over. I need help deciding on foams but do not know which ones to get. They are 2.2 on a spawn weighted heavily in the front. I do mostly rock and hill climb but rarely do just trail. Any suggestions would be appreciated
98sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: rc4wd mickey thompson new compound

deuces wild foams in front and double deuce medium in the rear
from here http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...KkdnyCxDc5XLOw
afrofroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

There is all kinds of different sizes. That was my question what actually needed to get. Do you have a link to both sets
Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Single Stage Closed Cell for 2.2 Tall Tires

so these for front
Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yes they will help with steering and I found them excellent
afrofroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

What about the rear though. I'm new with the foam setup stuff.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

rear foams i believe those new mickeys are quite big, is it the radial or the claw cause for the radial youll want : 6.0T Double Deuce Standard Pair (2)

and if its the standard claw youll want:
5.5T Double Deuce Standard Pair (2)

as for the front youll probably want: i did DUCEWILD on all 4 corners with my treps and i love it though so id say whatever you get get two of each so you can play so youll end up with one full set of extra foams but thats just me. Single Stage Closed Cell for 2.2 Tall Tires
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

also i forgot to add when using CI foams VENT THE TIRE or your wasting your time vent the tire in three or four spots between the trad with a small hole so air can exchnge since the foams DONT breathe. it will help the tires conform to surfaces better.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My wheels are already vented. They are not the radial these measure 5.70. I'm gonna do what I posted in the front but I'm still trying to decide on the rear. The stock foams I cut in star pattern being close distance in front and a big gap in back and we'll they did good the first run but second since I guess they got wet just sucked by folding in on the rock
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Vented wheels do you no good with a closed cell foam like the CI ones. You'll have to drill holes in the foam too and line it up to the holes in the wheel. Point being, closed cell foams don't breath.

I'd disagree with afrofroggy from my personal experience with CI foams in many different tires. Not saying his idea doesn't work on his terrain, just not at all where I run. On a scaler I always run stiffer foams in the rear. The front softer for better forward bite.

If your spawn is basically stock, I'd recommend 1 of these 2 setups

Setup 1: Great for crawling
CI Double Duece 6.0 with soft outer for front. CI Double Duece 6.0 with Medium outer for rear.

Setup2: More for hills and bashing around (actually I'm going to break this into 2 lol)
2a: CI Double Duece 6.0 with medium outer up front. CI Dueces Wild Tall for the rear.
2b: CI Dueces Wild Tall for front and Rear. Cut 1 row of ribs out of the front foams.

You absolutely need to vent the tires if you run Dueces Wild. The stock axial wheels with the vent in the wheel will not allow air to leave/enter with a closed cell foam wrapped around it.

You can possibly get by without venting tires if you Double Duece (if you plan to run in water a lot) if the rig is heavy enough. I've found that since the outer foam is still open cell it will conform well on a really heavy rig (+10lbs). Even though the inner is closed cell, the 5.75" tire gives just enough room to let air move through the open cell outer and do work.

D
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Vented wheels do you no good with a closed cell foam like the CI ones. You'll have to drill holes in the foam too and line it up to the holes in the wheel. Point being, closed cell foams don't breath.

I'd disagree with afrofroggy from my personal experience with CI foams in many different tires. Not saying his idea doesn't work on his terrain, just not at all where I run. On a scaler I always run stiffer foams in the rear. The front softer for better forward bite.

If your spawn is basically stock, I'd recommend 1 of these 2 setups

Setup 1: Great for crawling
CI Double Duece 6.0 with soft outer for front. CI Double Duece 6.0 with Medium outer for rear.

Setup2: More for hills and bashing around (actually I'm going to break this into 2 lol)
2a: CI Double Duece 6.0 with medium outer up front. CI Dueces Wild Tall for the rear.
2b: CI Dueces Wild Tall for front and Rear. Cut 1 row of ribs out of the front foams.

You absolutely need to vent the tires if you run Dueces Wild. The stock axial wheels with the vent in the wheel will not allow air to leave/enter with a closed cell foam wrapped around it.

You can possibly get by without venting tires if you Double Duece (if you plan to run in water a lot) if the rig is heavy enough. I've found that since the outer foam is still open cell it will conform well on a really heavy rig (+10lbs). Even though the inner is closed cell, the 5.75" tire gives just enough room to let air move through the open cell outer and do work.

D
2b setup works great all around! I cut centers in f/r & notched outer fronts for more forward bite.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I mean I don't bash my rig that much. I do some trails and often like to show people up. It's not really stock it's got 2 sticks of weights per wheel, battery in front, and running droop with 110 kings. I'm still trying to decide on which route to take.

rc4wd mickey thompson new compound - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Mickey Thompson Wheels w/ non RC4WD tire NewbieRC361 Axial Wraith 2 08-12-2013 11:19 PM