Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: PSA: Vanquish SLW hubs use different screws than Axial SLW hubs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default PSA: Vanquish SLW hubs use different screws than Axial SLW hubs

I'm probably the last person to realize this, but I thought I'd make an announcement anyway.

For the past several months I've been using the screws that came with my Axial SLW-compatible wheels. They seemed to fit fine, providing enough grip that I was more likely to damage the Axial plastic wheels than the Vanquish hubs, and since the Vanquish hubs didn't come with their own screws I assumed they were designed to use Axial screws. (even the cheap Chinese aluminum parts I get from AsiaTees come with their own screws if they can't use the stock screws, but Vanquish can't include 10 cents worth of screws with my $40 set of 4 hubs???)

Amazingly, it seems like I haven't actually damaged my Vanquish hubs enough that the correct-size screws will no longer hold tightly. This is because, even though the Vanquish screw-holes use a different thread-pitch, they *also* use a wider screw *diameter*, so my Axial screws were only cross-threading the inner edges of the female screw-threads in the hubs.

Even more amazingly, despite having such a tenuous grip on the hubs, the screws haven't been ripped out on any of the 3 vehicles I'm using Vanquish hubs on -- even my Wraith, which over the past year has suffered many "flying dismounts" off rocks that lacked convenient ways to climb down properly.

So, since my $120 investment in Vanquish SLW hubs is still usable, I went on eBay and found the correct screws (because Vanquish is out-of-stock), in black (which Vanquish doesn't even offer), for $6.75 per 100 screws. (convenient, because I have 72 screws I need to replace.) Here's where I found them, in case anyone else wants to stock up:

1/4" length: 4 40 x 1 4" Screw Hex Socket Head Black 100 Pcs | eBay
3/8" length: 4 40 x 3 8" Screw Hex Socket Head Black Oxide Alloy Steel 100 Pcs | eBay
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: PSA: Vanquish SLW hubs use different screws than Axial SLW hubs

I bought mine at MCMasters-Carr and it was fast shipping
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: PSA: Vanquish SLW hubs use different screws than Axial SLW hubs

The eBay listings I linked to offer free shipping with an ETA of 4 days. However, I'm not trying to drive business to that seller specifically, so if you have a different seller you prefer, by all means use them instead. I just provided links for the convenience of people who haven't figured out where they can get the appropriate screws from.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote

PSA: Vanquish SLW hubs use different screws than Axial SLW hubs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
screws and nuts for vp slw hubs ? brandon288012 Tires and Wheels 12 02-18-2013 01:03 PM