Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pro-line swampers xl 2.2s...trimming these gigantic foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Pro-line swampers xl 2.2s...trimming these gigantic foams

Hey guys. Just picked up some pro line 2.2 swampers xl g8 tires. I'm going to trim them to 2.2/3.0 to work on my telly.

The first thing I notice is 10lbs of foam in a 5 lb tire...so to speak.

For those of you who have run these tires, do you recall what you trimmed your foams to? Width and height? They seem too wide also. I've never trimmed foams much, so do I do it with scissors? Seems like that might not work but so well.

Thanks for any advice on this matter!
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pro-line swampers xl 2.2s...trimming these gigantic foams

My advice is pick up some Crawler Innovations foams, but if you are going to trim the stock foams an electric carving/filleting knife works awesome.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had good luck with mine, they were huge but I got them to fit my Gearhead CAC EZ-Loc wheels, and they mounted up just fine. I now have the CI DW 6.0 foams in mediums. However, my daughters wraith with the same tire and foam, I had to trim 1" off the width and taper cut the inner diameter foam just to get it to bead up against the rim, and these are mounted on the RC4WD Hitman wheels. Those were a PITA, but I got them to work. Hope this information helps you mount those tire/ foam easier.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! Did the crawler innovation foams not require trimming?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you want that tire height, you'll probably have to chop up ci foams also. As I don't think anyone makes SCT foams with 5.75 height. You know that pro line has SCT size tsls and pit bull makes SCT sized tires as well? No modding necessary
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't care about buying sct foams. I'll use 2.2 foams and cut them to work on the rim. That I've done several times and have no problem achieving successfully.

The sct tires available are both not tall enough, and not available in a crawler compound. The sct tires don't perform as well as normal 2.2 tires, because there is almost no sidewall on the 3.0 side to conform to stuff.

I combat that by buying a giant tire so I have a little more sidewall. Lol. The sct swampers are only like 4.75" tall. I have some 2.2 ripsaws I've done the same thing to, but the swampers xls are a hair taller, and I hope I'll like the tread and compound better.

I also run unmodified 1.9 ripsaws on this truck, which perform much better than the 2.2 ripsaws on the sc rim. My theory is that this is due to the 3.0 side of the tire not having sidewall.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 05-29-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So do the crawler innovations foams also gargantuan and need trimming? Are they a better compound? Just curious why they get the nod over stock foams.

If the CI foams aren't what I go with, is the consensus to remove about an inch overall in height to the stock foams?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't dream of running anything but a Crawler Innovations foam... hell i haven't run a stock tire foam in probably 5 years. Right now im running CI Deuces Wilds in both my Wraiths, they are nothing short of amazing ....and they're waterproof!

Last edited by Trugg; 06-06-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
I wouldn't dream of running anything but a Crawler Innovations foam... hell i haven't run a stock tire foam in probably 5 years. Right now im running CI Deuces Wilds in both my Wraiths, they are nothing short of amazing ....and they're waterproof!
yeah, what he said!
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would highly recommend doing some research before you chop up a good set of skins,I take it your a new guy seeing your not familiar with crawler innovations.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

There are a lot of us trimming 2.2s to fit onto short course rims on the traxxas website. It's pretty straightforward. I've done it with 2.8 tires to fit 3.2 beadlocks several times, and I've trimmed 2.2 ripsaws to fit pro line short course beadlocks.

They just don't make a short course tire that is the right height and the right compound, and I don't want the extra width that the wide rpm revolvers will give me. Though I have used them. I have installed slash arms, and need to use lesser offset pro trac rims to suck my width in-which will hopefully result in better steering than stock arms and stock offset rims.

Trimming the tires isn't the issue. It's pretty easy, and works great! I'm just curious what to do about these foams. My ripsaw foams were just the right size for the tire already.

The 1.9 ripsaws work just fine completely unmodified, but they are toooo short.

Besides, these tires were bought specifically for this purpose. I have some 2.2 swampers that are mounted on 2.2 beadlocks that will not get trimmed.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 06-07-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Got these on my wraith. Trimmed stock foams 1/2" in width only and mounted up. They seem to work good, till I get my CI fomes mounted.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Pro-line swampers xl 2.2s...trimming these gigantic foams - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reduced Pro-Line TSL Swampers Tommy R Tires and Wheels 15 10-17-2010 12:26 PM