Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: dumb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #1

Default dumb question

i'm new to the rc crawler world but i did full size jeep crawling. my dumb question is do bead locks on a rc really do anything besides give it that cool look? i haven't researched them much but i thought i'd ask here amongst fellow rc crawlers first.
Tonyrcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

bead locks in the rc world actually lock the bead of the tire with a ring allowing tire and foam changes where glued on tires make changes more difficult.
The Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

nothings ever a dumb question, beadlocks are like....a substitute to glueing..so u dont have glue tires...i think
jrdk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I work in a LHS and answer this question all the time. Maximizer, Proline, RC4WD and now Axial all make "real" beadlocks, but alot of guys on here use rock rings on regular rims just for the look.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muscle
bead locks in the rc world actually lock the bead of the tire with a ring allowing tire and foam changes where glued on tires make changes more difficult.
i understand how the outside bead is held on but what about the inside bead? do you glue it?
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

inside and outside beads are held on by a ring screwed to the rim. pinching the tire bead against the rim.
No glue required.
The Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have a fullsize jeep crawler on 42" IROCS and I HAVE to have the beadlocks or I can peel a tire off the wheel,beadlocks on the rc's don't serve the same purpose as they do on our full size crawlers.I gotten cuz I got a great deal on mine.
FiremanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles
I work in a LHS and answer this question all the time. Maximizer, Proline, RC4WD and now Axial all make "real" beadlocks, but alot of guys on here use rock rings on regular rims just for the look.
Yes, and the added weight of the 'look' alike beadlocks.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

beadlocks are nice, i can switch from my masher2ks to moabs in 20 minutes on my rc4wd beadlocks
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanJim
I have a fullsize jeep crawler on 42" IROCS and I HAVE to have the beadlocks or I can peel a tire off the wheel,beadlocks on the rc's don't serve the same purpose as they do on our full size crawlers.I gotten cuz I got a great deal on mine.
You are wrong, they serve the same purpose. If you could glue your 1:1 tires on, you wouldn't need beadlocks. Its just that in the R/C world we have 2 options for holding the tire to the wheel.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #11

so beadlocks from the rc world have about the same purpose as beadlocks in the full size world. to keep the tire on when you "air down" to get the most grip. thanks everybody you've all been a great help.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrcc
"air down" to get the most grip
in RC.. it is "foam down" unless you are one of the weirdos actually running air in your crawler.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Air and Airsoft bb's in undrilled RC4WD beadlocks. Call me weird, but it works good.
Some guys on here will go to great lengths to make a regular set of wheels look like beadlocks. Then have to glue the tires on anyway. A waste of time IMO.
Real rc beadlocks do the same thing as real 1:1 ones - they pinch the bead of the tire so it won't get pulled off the rim.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink
in RC.. it is "foam down" unless you are one of the weirdos actually running air in your crawler.
ha ha ha. ya i guess i just get used to sayin air down in the rock crawling world. gotta get used to the rc terms. thanks again.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink
It's really heavy
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i wish i could glue the tires on my 1:1. beadlocks+daily driver+ road crap= pain in the nuts.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy
i wish i could glue the tires on my 1:1. beadlocks+daily driver+ road crap= pain in the nuts.
No you don't, imagine glueing youself to a 150 pound tire/wheel combo and not having the uncure there. You would look really stupid walking into AutoZone glued to a tire.

When I read your post it reminded me of working at the LHS. About once a week someone would role in with a tire and wheel glued to his hand. It was hard not to fall over laughing...
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
No you don't, imagine glueing youself to a 150 pound tire/wheel combo and not having the uncure there. You would look really stupid walking into AutoZone glued to a tire.

When I read your post it reminded me of working at the LHS. About once a week someone would role in with a tire and wheel glued to his hand. It was hard not to fall over laughing...
in 20 years of rcing hasnt happened yet. hell the worse ive done is two fingers.thinking about it i could glue the tires to the rims on my 1:1.would take tire changing in the woods from a 30 minute job to god knows how long.

Last edited by thatguy; 01-23-2007 at 01:08 AM.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote