Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Wheels that matchup with Lockedup rings? SSD Axial??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wheels that matchup with Lockedup rings? SSD Axial??

So I love the look of the Legendary rings that Locked Up RC offers. However, the price of a complete wheel set is a little to much to swallow. Plus, I really want black wheels. So do the locked up rings bolt to possibly the steel 2.2 SSD or black plastic Axial wheels?

I know the axial only has 8 holes so I'm not sure how that would work just yet. Maybe drill the extra 32?
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: Wheels that matchup with Lockedup rings? SSD Axial??

Lockedup rings fit the axial bolt pattern. They use 6 holes to hold them on, the rest of the holes take really short bolts for looks.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
So I love the look of the Legendary rings that Locked Up RC offers. However, the price of a complete wheel set is a little to much to swallow. Plus, I really want black wheels. So do the locked up rings bolt to possibly the steel 2.2 SSD or black plastic Axial wheels?

I know the axial only has 8 holes so I'm not sure how that would work just yet. Maybe drill the extra 32?
The guy above us (Duuuuuuuuuuude) makes some great black wheels that those rings will fit on. I have two sets of his wheels, and they are the best wheels you can buy for the price bar none. Soooooooo easy to mount tires on!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

SSD rings have the same bolt circle as Locked-Up, but SSD runs 24 long screws into the wheel. Locked-Up runs long 6 screws into the wheel, same as Axial beadlocks pattern, the other 18 are short, purely cosmetic and just screw into the ring

you can either drill the 18 threaded holes in the Locked-Up rings to use the 24 SSD screws or leave the rings as they are and use 6 long and 18 short screws as you would with a set of Locked-Up wheels. personally I would drill the rings and use the SSD hardware instead of buying the M2 x 1mm screws for the rings
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I know locked up wheels will work.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the feedback fellas! One last question, I know Axials use the 6 hole design. What about something like JConcepts beadlocks? They seem to have 8 holes going around. Would the locked up rings possibly work with those?
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if the bolt circle is the same you should be able to use 4, 6, 8, 12 and 24 hole beadlock ring. Axial, Locked-Up and SSD appear to have a 52mm bolt circle, but I don't know what the J-Concepts wheels measure
Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

found an issue using Locked-Up rings with wheels that have 8-bolt rings

to make a long story short, stick to 6, 12 and 24 bolt wheels with the 52mm bolt circle for the Locked-Up rings. they're a bolt-on fit because you have threaded holes in the proper locations for the 6 clamping screws and 18 decorative screws. you also have the option of drilling the threads out of the rings if you want to use more than 6 clamping screws

I recently got a set of Integy wheels with 8-bolt rings and have been checking the fit of different ring bolt patterns and Locked-Up wheel wideners

the issue with 8-bolt wheels is the degree of separation between the threaded holes and the 6 pass-through holes in the Locked-Up rings. Locked-up rings will still fit an 8-bolt wheel due to the 24 hole simulated bolt pattern, but you'll have to drill the threads out of six of the ring holes that are intended for the short decorative screws to use the clamp screws on the 8-bolt wheel. the problem is you'll have four of the 6-bolt pattern pass-through holes with no threads in the rings for the short screws and no holes in the wheel for the longer clamp screws

the fix for this is to drill and tap four new M2 x .4 holes in the wheels for the 6-bolt screws to clamp to the wheel. not really a big problem, but may be more work than some are willing to do

Wheels that matchup with Lockedup rings? SSD Axial?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Steelies & Vanquish OMF rings. Compatible? turbodan13 Tires and Wheels 6 08-17-2015 03:04 PM