Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Mounted stock Axial Ripsaws on new Vanquish Method 2.2 (101) wheels. Now narrower wid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mounted stock Axial Ripsaws on new Vanquish Method 2.2 (101) wheels. Now narrower wid

Just purchased some Method 2.2 (101) wheels for the Wraith. Looks like mounted up that the tire is lil' narrower in width and slightly more firm feeling. Is this normal? Actually like the slimmer look of them just wondering if this will hinder or help the performance when crawling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banjoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mounted stock Axial Ripsaws on new Vanquish Method 2.2 (101) wheels. Now narrower

Yes it's too narrow, but it's also "normal". Most after-market 2.2 wheels are too narrow for most of the 2.2 tires they're supposed to fit. I believe you can still get after-market vanquish wheel wideners if you want the tires to look right and perform as Axial intended. If you like the caved-in look they give the tire and it doesn't effect your driving, then you might as well keep the narrow wheels.

The reason they feel more firm is because you're compressing the foam insert a little more than with the wider stock wheels.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mounted stock Axial Ripsaws on new Vanquish Method 2.2 (101) wheels. Now narrower

Do the narrow ones wear out the center of the tire

More than the wider ones

is the wear even between the tires
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I mean is there a tire that fits these wheels without this problem?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

May just use a thin bead of shoe goo on bead. Let set up and apply ring.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Get a set of wideners from BDN.

HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Genius Sem Fronteira fit the narrow wheels just fine. They're about 1.6 - 1.7" wide on the SSD wheels.

RC4WD Genius Sem Fronteira 2.2" Scale Tires

They can be seen here on a set of SSD steel 10-hole wheels (page 29, post #571), they're the same width as the vanquish wheels.

Wheel Pics - No talking
Old 06-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Can you send me a link for these BDN wieners? Can't seam to find them? Puleeeeze!
Old 06-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

WIDENERS. Sorry.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
Can you send me a link for these BDN wieners? Can't seam to find them? Puleeeeze!
Send him a PM or e-mail to the address in the first post in the thread linked below.

New "VP Wheel Widners" for VP Method and KMC Enduro Wheels
Old 06-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

OP, did you see VP sells wider rims now? .75" vs 1.2".
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just purchased some Method 2.2 (101) wheels for the Wraith. Looks like mounted up that the tire is lil' narrower in width and slightly more firm feeling. Is this normal? Actually like the slimmer look of them just wondering if this will hinder or help the performance when crawling?
Yes, most VP wheels are too narrow for proper tire setup and contact patch. They do not perform as well, just look in the 1:1 crawling world, slightly narrower rims can help keep the sidewalls away from sharp rocks and tree roots, but not narrow like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
Yes it's too narrow.... Most after-market 2.2 wheels are too narrow for most of the 2.2 tires they're supposed to fit. I believe you can still get after-market vanquish wheel wideners if you want the tires to look right and perform as Axial intended.
The reason they feel more firm is because you're compressing the foam insert a little more than with the wider stock wheels.

Quote:
I mean is there a tire that fits these wheels without this problem?
Yes, SSD RC Rock Racer Beadlock Wheels
2.2" Rock Racer Beadlock Wheels (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HahnsB2 View Post
Get a set of wideners from BDN.

Or buy BDN wideners. VP is finally starting to make some of their wheels in proper wider widths, but I prefer not to have to buy wideners after buying wheels.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
Genius Sem Fronteira fit the narrow wheels just fine. They're about 1.6 - 1.7" wide on the SSD wheels.

RC4WD Genius Sem Fronteira 2.2" Scale Tires

They can be seen here on a set of SSD steel 10-hole wheels (page 29, post #571), they're the same width as the vanquish wheels.

Wheel Pics - No talking
I measure the inner ring of VP's as 20mm, the SSD inner ring is quoted at 24.5mm?
Old 06-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I measure the inner ring of VP's as 20mm, the SSD inner ring is quoted at 24.5mm?
Yeah, 24.5mm is right on the SSD 10-hole inner rings. I'm getting an actual measurement of 24.46mm on them. Published specs on the new SSD Rock Racer is accurate too.