Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers Vs. Mad Beast (1.9)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers Vs. Mad Beast (1.9)

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to RC lately although I did build a Hornet in the 80's it's about it. I was wondering what tires you guys might recommend for a honcho scx10 build with 55t motor, 2c 5000m battery. Mainly be trails, and some rock climbing. Its PA so we got about every thing you can think of with just a little driving around, and you can probably find it. I was wondering best over all runner would be. On one hand I like the clearance of the Growlers, but on the other hand RB's look like they have a nice fat stance that will grab like a spider. I got some Trepedors which are fine tires, but glued on and sort of flatten a lot when I turn on flat ground. I assume these would be great tires too as I like them when' I'm not turning.

As I side note I ordered these to mount which ones I choose seeing how my tires are glued now. Axial Wheels - 1.9'' Beadlock Satin Chrome 8 Hole (2) AX8088. I hope there are no issues mounting either sets as I have never done this.

Last edited by Flim Flam; 06-29-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Flim Flam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers (1.9)

I would recommend a 35T motor and a 3S pack to start.

The Growlers are good tires but I always felt they were lacking in traction on loose surfaces. I would pick the Rock Beasts over the Growlers for all around use due to the increased traction on loose surfaces that will be encountered during trail excursions (dirt, sand, gravel, etc.).

My Growlers were replaced with Proline TSL XLs and the increase in overall traction was noticeable. The TSLs give you the best of both worlds, the all around traction of the Rock Beast with the height of the Growler. Voodoo KLRs are also a great choice for a do-it-all tire.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have run both. For overall trail fun the proline tsl XL are tough to beat, they do everything pretty well. They will also mount up on the axial wheels no problems. The rockbeast are kings on rock but are a bit short. For personal reason I will NOT run anything from Voodoo.
Best thing you can do for yourself is good foams. Cant go wrong with Crawler Innovations!!!!

Last edited by hotrodsoup; 06-29-2016 at 07:09 AM.
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info guys. I heard good things about both other tires recommended as well. I'm sort of used to the trepedors size and tread maybe the Rock Beast would work better for me for now. I think I will still use the treps from time to time they seem like nice tires. Maybe get them off the glued rims and beadlock them at some point with good foams. For now I don't want to risk ruining them till I have another set good to go. At one point I would like to have the Mad beast after some other upgrades are done. Just for a totally different ride.

As for motor would the 35t & 3s battery climb as good or is it a speed thing? I wouldn't mind a little more speed I just don't want to roll it to much. Just enough to do brodys would be nice on loose gravel. Also I got the automatic break thing going on.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Madbeast would fit the bill better IMO. They are the same height and width as the trep's and do a really good job.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Madbeast would fit the bill better IMO. They are the same height and width as the trep's and do a really good job.
Thanks for that bit of info. The Mad beast are a fine looking tire too.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flim Flam View Post
I was wondering what tires you guys might recommend for a honcho scx10 build with 55t motor, 2c 5000m battery. Mainly be trails, and some rock climbing. Its PA so we got about every thing you can think of with just a little driving around, and you can probably find it. I was wondering best over all runner would be. On one hand I like the clearance of the Growlers, but on the other hand RB's look like they have a nice fat stance that will grab like a spider.
I have 1.9" Rock Beasts on a Wraith that runs SCX10 axles and a shorter wheelbase, and 1.55" Growlers on a fairly stock SCX10. They are a similar height, and the Growlers do pretty well, but the Rock Beasts are awesome. They do roll over on the sidewalls in hard corners and get flat spots if the Wraith sits long, but my Wraith may be a little heavy, too.

I have a 55T motor in my SCX10, but it runs 3s. I'm not actually sure what my gearing is, but a 35T and 45T were far too fast in that truck on 3s. That 55T motor was terribly slow in my Sawback on 3s, but is just about perfect in the SCX10.

What part of PA are you from? I grew up a bit north-west of Pittsburgh, but haven't had a chance to run any of my crawlers up there yet.
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aver3 View Post
I have 1.9" Rock Beasts on a Wraith that runs SCX10 axles and a shorter wheelbase, and 1.55" Growlers on a fairly stock SCX10. They are a similar height, and the Growlers do pretty well, but the Rock Beasts are awesome. They do roll over on the sidewalls in hard corners and get flat spots if the Wraith sits long, but my Wraith may be a little heavy, too.

I have a 55T motor in my SCX10, but it runs 3s. I'm not actually sure what my gearing is, but a 35T and 45T were far too fast in that truck on 3s. That 55T motor was terribly slow in my Sawback on 3s, but is just about perfect in the SCX10.

What part of PA are you from? I grew up a bit north-west of Pittsburgh, but haven't had a chance to run any of my crawlers up there yet.
Northwest PA close to the NY border. The 1.9 Growlers must be giants might get body rub on them. I don't want crazy speeds just doing a few brodys would be nice though for extra entertainment. If I get caught up on a branch this engine is a trench digger ( Hard ground). Dirt everywhere then.

What's the 3s add? More speed? Not sure my motor and electronics will allow for it just learning all this stuff.

Last edited by Flim Flam; 06-29-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
What's the 3s add? More speed? Not sure my motor and electronics will allow for it just learning all this stuff.
3s will give you about 50% more speed than a 2s. A 55T motor would be fine on 3s. What ESC are you using?
aver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aver3 View Post
3s will give you about 50% more speed than a 2s. A 55T motor would be fine on 3s. What ESC are you using?
AE-5 ESC ( I believe ). 50 percent more speed is super tempting.

Edited: To add Mad Beast to the list.

Last edited by Flim Flam; 06-29-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As for motor would the 35t & 3s battery climb as good or is it a speed thing? I wouldn't mind a little more speed I just don't want to roll it to much. Just enough to do brodys would be nice on loose gravel. Also I got the automatic break thing going on.
As Mr. Holmes always says, "volt up, gear down". A 35T motor on 3S geared down will give you more torque, more wheelspeed, and more low speed control vs a 55T. If it is too fast, gear down more. If it is still too fast, then work on your throttle control. Sometimes (a lot of the times actually) the answer is just more practice driving.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

Default Re: Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers Vs. Mad Beast (1.9)

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am pretty new to RC lately although I did build a Hornet in the 80's it's about it. I was wondering what tires you guys might recommend for a honcho scx10 build with 55t motor, 2c 5000m battery. Mainly be trails, and some rock climbing. Its PA so we got about every thing you can think of with just a little driving around, and you can probably find it. I was wondering best over all runner would be. On one hand I like the clearance of the Growlers, but on the other hand RB's look like they have a nice fat stance that will grab like a spider. I got some Trepedors which are fine tires, but glued on and sort of flatten a lot when I turn on flat ground. I assume these would be great tires too as I like them when' I'm not turning.

As I side note I ordered these to mount which ones I choose seeing how my tires are glued now. Axial Wheels - 1.9'' Beadlock Satin Chrome 8 Hole (2) AX8088. I hope there are no issues mounting either sets as I have never done this.
I choose Pitbull Rock Beast !!
salompas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #13

Proline TSL or TSL XL's are the best all around trail tires out there IMO.

I wouldn't recommend Growlers or Mad Beasts for PA trail runs. Instead, I'd recommend the Rock Beasts if I had to choose a Pitbull tire. Those are shorter tires though. The Growlers are great tires, but not so good on wet rocks and not so good in loose gravel or mud.

Whatever you do, order from RPP Hobby or Tower Hobbies and use the coupon.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I've got the Proline TSL XL's, Rock Beasts, and Mad Beasts. For overall performance, TSL XL all the way. I love the look of the Mad Beasts, but do lack a bit on looser material. Rock Beasts are great too, but are rather short. Some comparison pics of Mad Beasts and Rock Beasts on my Ascender with SSD D60's.

Rock Beast front, Mad Beasts rear

Last edited by LSXGMC; 06-30-2016 at 10:15 AM.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the info guys nice photos for comparison. I watched so many video wish there were more on the Mad beast. I doubt I will be doing to much mudding just if I have too. I'm still learning maintenance on these. One video I seen the Growlers doing trails pretty well. I noticed most the Rock Beasts are on the smaller body toyotas ( truggys?). Probably more scale for them.

@SVT923 I am not sure what gears I got. I wish I knew. I just bought a "slightly" better servo for steering used.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #16
RCC Addict

If you're anything like me, you'll drive yourself crazy looking for a black/white answer, or a "best tire" recommendation. Just find what you think looks best and roll with it.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #17
RCC Addict

TSL XLs and Rock Beasts are both great tires for everything. Thats why they are the most common tires you see. Just take a look at what tires people in your area run. No sense in wasting your $$ when other people have already done all the experimenting for you. Some other tires may work better in your area than they do in others...I've noticed more people here using Flat Irons than anywhere else I have been (AR, TX, LA, OK) and they seem to do pretty good here.

Also remember foams make or break a tire. Too soft and you will be rolling over all the time and you will lose a good bit of ground clearance. Too firm and they wont contour to the terrain and wont grip as well.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the advice my wheels arrived and some gearhead outer rings. I'll get the foams last because I have no idea what tires I will be getting yet. I'm considering Voodoo's as well but want a set of PB's to try out no matter what at some point.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I really like the madbeasts a lot. Work well in what I run in pa. However the rock beasts have been a go to with a bunch of guys in our club in pa at rausch creek.. depending where you are I have a set of mad beasts with CI foams you could try.
SubaruDriftBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruDriftBoy View Post
I really like the madbeasts a lot. Work well in what I run in pa. However the rock beasts have been a go to with a bunch of guys in our club in pa at rausch creek.. depending where you are I have a set of mad beasts with CI foams you could try.
Wow that's nice of you. Thanks for the offer I think I'm holding out now to see what's up with this #gameover thread. Sort of look like that tire fits my bill to a T if i'm not seeing things. Although those Mad beast are super rad. So they are high on my list.

Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers Vs. Mad Beast (1.9) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 advice: Pitbull Rock Beasts/Growlers, Proline TSL XL and wheel options goldcrow Tires and Wheels 13 02-14-2016 10:29 AM