Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Proline 1.9 TSL XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

Default Proline 1.9 TSL XL

I purchased a set of 1.9 TSL XL tires and would like to ask for advice on which CI foams I should buy. The tires are going on a newly built stock SCX10 2 that I will use primarily for crawling on rock courses.

I noticed CI has a single stage closed cell foam specifically for the 1.9 TSL XL but i would think this is to stiff for rock crawling. Would a 2 stage foam like the little nova be better for this purpose? If so what size and firmness would suit these tires best.

Thanks for the help!
tandum4056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proline 1.9 TSL XL

CI has a single stage closed cell foam specifically for the 1.9 TSL XL, fits great and works great, I love em!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm using the two stage and think they work very well. Can't say anything about the single stage as I have never used them.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
I'm using the two stage and think they work very well. Can't say anything about the single stage as I have never used them.
Thanks. What size are the 2-stage CI foams you are using? 4.75?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I don't remember, I think so but I would e-mail C.I. they will be glad to tell you.

I did softs in the front and med in the rear.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
I don't remember, I think so but I would e-mail C.I. they will be glad to tell you.

I did softs in the front and med in the rear.

This is how I set up my Swamper XL's, 4.50 med. in the front and 4.75 firm in the back. I had the single stage in them before and I feel this set up works better.
step child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I did ci lil'nova 4.50 med front, firm rear. Happy with that for a truck not too happy.
I also have a set with tsl xl deuce wild, which I like more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I did ci lil'nova 4.50 med front, firm rear. Happy with that for a truck not too happy.
I also have a set with tsl xl deuce wild, which I like more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. You did not feel that the deuces wild molded foam inserts were to stiff? I am putting these on a SCX10 2 that is fairly light and i am concerned that a stiff foam will not let the tire conform on the rocks.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandum4056 View Post
Thanks for the input. You did not feel that the deuces wild molded foam inserts were to stiff? I am putting these on a SCX10 2 that is fairly light and i am concerned that a stiff foam will not let the tire conform on the rocks.
I was afraid of that at first, but having used them for some time I can say they are my favorites. They seem to get a bit softer after some use, and maybe it's also that I use heavier rims lately. it is also a great advantage that they are water resistant! Personally I would only go for two stage foams if I did mostly very technical crawling. I'm more of an all-rounder, so deuces wild suite me better.

I see your point with the light rig, but I think it's more important to consider what style of driving you like. If mostly hardcore crawling, then go two stage. If any variation at all, then definitely go deuces wild.

Those are my thoughts, just

edit: with the tsl sx xl tires in particular the matching deuces wild work great. These tires have a very aggressive pattern, and the foam gives them some freedom of movement also. That's my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 07-08-2016 at 06:20 PM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandum4056 View Post
You should be good with the DW, all foams and tires need running to break in and get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I was afraid of that at first, but having used them for some time I can say they are my favorites. They seem to get a bit softer after some use, and maybe it's also that I use heavier rims lately. it is also a great advantage that they are water resistant! Personally I would only go for two stage foams if I did mostly very technical crawling. I'm more of an all-rounder, so deuces wild suite me better.

I see your point with the light rig, but I think it's more important to consider what style of driving you like. If mostly hardcore crawling, then go two stage. If any variation at all, then definitely go deuces wild.
Mostly yes, I used to run CI two stage foams, but found that the outer foam gets too soft after awhile and the Deuces Wild just get better as they get used. If you go two-stage, buy one step firmer than you want to end up with and they will break in to that. Personally all I run anymore is single stage Deuces Wild.

And vent the tires as per CI's site recommendations, not the wheels.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
You should be good with the DW, all foams and tires need running to break in and get better.

Mostly yes, I used to run CI two stage foams, but found that the outer foam gets too soft after awhile and the Deuces Wild just get better as they get used. If you go two-stage, buy one step firmer than you want to end up with and they will break in to that. Personally all I run anymore is single stage Deuces Wild.

And vent the tires as per CI's site recommendations, not the wheels.
Thank you. Dueces wild foams it is. I agree on venting the tires. I have always done this on all my cars and the results are much better then venting the wheels.