Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: PL Tsl Sx Super Swampers vs Rc4wd Super swampers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

Default PL Tsl Sx Super Swampers vs Rc4wd Super swampers

Hi guys,

Excuse me if this has been asked before but i checked many threads and haven't seen it.

I was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare these two. I have the PL 1.9 xl on myc scx10. I have used it on various terrains but never on steep hills with only rocks; rather big rocks with mainly smooth surfaces and many edges.

I have watched some youtube videos and the tsl xl tends to slip a lot on pure rock terrain. How is the rc4wd super swampers. Being a mud tire with deep teeth, would it perform better?

What do you guys think?
BurakG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: PL Tsl Sx Super Swampers vs Rc4wd Super swampers

How old are your tsl's?
The boggers (from rc4wd) same tread pattern as the mud slinger will need to be cut to compare to your tsl's
In the real world the boggers have no lateral traction, guys usually will split the lugs with 1-2 grooves per lug.
And or cut the smallest lugs right out.
You can try cutting your tsl's or adding a groove to them for added traction. But I think most people will say the
Tsl is a better tire.
tnt-salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #3

Tsl s are only 2-3 months old. Still minimal wear on them.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

have you tired cutting the lugs on the swampers? I cut out the lugs to mimic the 1:1 rock bouncer tsl cuts and it brings the tires to life and theres a cut tire thread on rcc you should look at some of the ideas on there
tremorclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

The ProLine TSL Super Swamper is the best overall tire on the market. It works well in dirt, mud, and rocks either wet or dry. You will find tires that do one of those things better, but you won't find a tire that does all of them better.

Run them before you try cutting them.

The ProLine tires are definitely better than the RC4WD tires.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The ProLine TSL Super Swamper is the best overall tire on the market. It works well in dirt, mud, and rocks either wet or dry. You will find tires that do one of those things better, but you won't find a tire that does all of them better.

Run them before you try cutting them.

The ProLine tires are definitely better than the RC4WD tires.

I agree that the PL is all around the best tire. But if i want a dedicated rock crawling tire; which one would you suggest? Is rc4wd better just for rocks. Do you mean cutting the rc4wd bogger lugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

All I run on is loose sharp rock, can't beat the SS !

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Dedicated rock crawling tire? That's an easy one, I'd use a tire designed for that use not one that looks neat but doesn't perform. Sedonas, boss claws, j concepts ruptures, voodoo pins etc.

I love my swampers in 2.2 and 2.2 xl but they don't compare to a dedicated crawling tire.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Dedicated rock crawling tire? That's an easy one, I'd use a tire designed for that use not one that looks neat but doesn't perform. Sedonas, boss claws, j concepts ruptures, voodoo pins etc.

I love my swampers in 2.2 and 2.2 xl but they don't compare to a dedicated crawling tire.

Hmm. Never heard of the voodoos before. So i researched a little and I am impressed. I am running 1.9s btw. Just love the scale look and challenge. Thus the KLRs would be my choice.

However, i will need help with foam. As far as I understand, double stage is better for rock crawling. So CI Lil nova is my choice. My truck is rather light. A little heavier than stock axial g6. Maybe 3.5kgs. It is a front heavy truck due to battery being in front and a steel bumper and winch. Also have the aluminum knuckles and c hubs. Which foam should i use? 4.5 or 4.75. Hard inner/medium outer? Medium inner/soft outer?

Also what wheels fit this good. I would like plastic to keep rotational mass less.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The RC Gearhead EZ -Loc 1.9 Trail Kings are awesome - also available in 2.2.

Durable Delrin plastic, either with Delrin or Aluminum beadlock rings - same weight.

Will mount any tire, 6 bolts to take 'em apart, lightweight, reversible centers for different offsets, aluminum hubs, good-looking, a bit wider than stock for excellent traction.

Here's a link:

Gear Head RC 1.9 Trail King EZ-Loc Wheels (4)

Edit: funny, I just realized that Mike has the 2.2 versions on that dedicated crawler a couple posts above... D'Oh!

Last edited by durok; 09-20-2016 at 03:22 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Love my GearHeads..... mounted easy and stay together !

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurakG View Post
Hmm. Never heard of the voodoos before. So i researched a little and I am impressed. I am running 1.9s btw. Just love the scale look and challenge. Thus the KLRs would be my choice.

However, i will need help with foam. As far as I understand, double stage is better for rock crawling. So CI Lil nova is my choice. My truck is rather light. A little heavier than stock axial g6. Maybe 3.5kgs. It is a front heavy truck due to battery being in front and a steel bumper and winch. Also have the aluminum knuckles and c hubs. Which foam should i use? 4.5 or 4.75. Hard inner/medium outer? Medium inner/soft outer?

Also what wheels fit this good. I would like plastic to keep rotational mass less.

Voodoo KLR tires were the flavor of the month tire not long ago. Stick around this site long enough and you'll find out the "OMG BEST TIRE EVER" changes from month to month.

I got the KLRs in Silver compound with the under 10 pound foams. I admittedly haven't ran them much yet, but I'm not impressed so far. If I were to do it again I probably would have gotten the Gold compound. Just be aware that they are huge tires.

Voodoo offers foams for KLRs that they claim were specifically design for these tires. Do I would suggest those over CI foams. That's IF you can find them. Voodoo tires and foams always seem to be out of stock.

Plastic wheels allow for more wheel speed by way of less rotational mass, but you want some heft to your wheels in crawling. That keeps the weight low which lowers the center of gravity. You can get heavy wheels (Boom Racing and GMade) or lighter aluminum wheels (I prefer Gear Head).
Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #13

Well, i placed my order for silver compound. For the foam, I asked some help from CI customer service. Eddie helped me choose a foam.

Since voodoo tires are very beefy, I was adviced to get 4.25" tall foams. I was olso suggested to get softer for the front. To be specific, Eddie suggested Lil Nova 4.25" comp cut inner/soft outer (CWR2014) for the front, Lil Nova 4.25" comp cut inner/medium outer (CWR2015) for the rears.

They didn't arrive yet since I am far far away, in Turkey.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurakG View Post
Well, i placed my order for silver compound. For the foam, I asked some help from CI customer service. Eddie helped me choose a foam.

Since voodoo tires are very beefy, I was adviced to get 4.25" tall foams. I was olso suggested to get softer for the front. To be specific, Eddie suggested Lil Nova 4.25" comp cut inner/soft outer (CWR2014) for the front, Lil Nova 4.25" comp cut inner/medium outer (CWR2015) for the rears.

They didn't arrive yet since I am far far away, in Turkey.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm very confused why they told you to go with foams that are shorter than the tires though.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

To be honest it didn't make sense to me too. Eddie from CI said something about Ottsix tires being much thicker and beefier than other tires, thus suggested 4.25s. He also could have suggested 4.5s but for some reason he suggested the smallest. Past experience tought me to listen to the advice of the seller if I dont know any better. So i decided to take his advice.

We shall see how it goes. I'll post updates.

Also I purchased RC4WD raceline minster aluminum beadlock wheels to match these.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Eddie knows his stuff, I wouldn't question his advice.

The KLR's have a very thick sidewall which is why you want a softer foam in them, you don't need the support as much for side hilling and crawling ad the tires won't fold as much as a typical tire.

Sent from my mobile device
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Eddie knows his stuff, I wouldn't question his advice.

Sent from my mobile device

Good to hear that coz thats what I did.

PL Tsl Sx Super Swampers vs Rc4wd Super swampers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd pro10+proline tsl super swampers? mycrors7 Tires and Wheels 9 11-07-2013 09:02 PM