Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Am I chasing my tail here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Am I chasing my tail here?

Forgive me but I'm home recovering from surgery so I have lots of time on my hands and few things to occupy it. I've been attempting to mount the Wild Peak M/T tires that came with my Yeti kit to a set of CI DW foams and SSD 2.2 D hole beadlocks and not end up with a wobbly assembly. No matter how hard I try I cannot get the visible bead ledge of the tire married evenly with the rim of the wheel. I have made improvements as I've disassembled and reassembled but I cannot get them together so they rotate smoothly at speed, there is always a side to side wobble.

Am I after the impossible here? I know from experience that balancing 1:1 offroad tired is a frustrating experience, maybe this is a similar issue in scale version?

If you've got tips or tricks to try I'm all ears and would appreciate the advice!
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

Default Re: Am I chasing my tail here?

CI foams make mounting much more difficult especially if they're too large.

Are you tightening the screws in a star pattern? You can't tighten one screw all the way at a time. You have to tighten one a few turns and then move to one on the opposite side of the wheel and continue like this in a start pattern until they're fully tightened.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There is actually a bit of space around the foams, the tires aren't tight on them. I went around the gently squeezed the foams to make sure they were centered on the ring before trying to put the inner or outer wheels on. I was careful to put the fronts and backs on straight so I wouldn't need to try to twist them within the bead and I do tighten in a star pattern. I've taken the time to only turn each screw one turn as I go around the star pattern but still no joy.

Thanks for the recommendation though!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pics help some of us. I tighten in a triangle pattern then rotate to the next triangle. The first three I'll do maybe a thread to 1.5 threads to ensure it's even going in. Also make sure it's even all around by looking at the outside of the beadlock and is even there, too. You can pull the tire out some if it's still loose. But you can't push it back in.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

These SSD's are a five hole design so I can really only tighten in one star pattern. I've tried to visually check that the bead is set evenly all the way around but by the time I get the front and back seated and tighten all of the screws it seems there is always a small area that has moved on me. What pictures would be helpful? I'd be glad to take a few and post them up.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Don't tighten them all at once. It's like putting a head on an engine because the rubber will want to squish out the high side.

I was wrong.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Pics help some of us. I tighten in a triangle pattern then rotate to the next triangle. The first three I'll do maybe a thread to 1.5 threads to ensure it's even going in. Also make sure it's even all around by looking at the outside of the beadlock and is even there, too. You can pull the tire out some if it's still loose. But you can't push it back in.
X2, got a front and back pic of them mounted or close to mounted?

I do as JatoTheRipper and BrakeWeight stated, but I've also found a bit of soapy water and a Q-Tip to apply it to inside and out of tire beads, then quickly assemble the back half of the wheel and seat the bead all round with the tire and inner ring. Then squeeze tire and foam around little to ensure it's all lined up, then install front half of wheel and tighten in star pattern using longer screws to get started. Constantly checking and gently adjusting the tire bead's position in the wheel, don't pull out too much as stated you almost never can push it back in and will have to start over if you pull it out too much. Good luck and keep us posted. Get well quick too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few pics of the issue I'm having. You can see where the bead lays flat against the wheel then pulls away slightly. This is seemingly unavoidable for me so far. I am incrementally tightening the five screws on the back side but it doesn't seem to prevent it. It's almost as if the bead of the tire is too large for the wheel. I used a velcro strap and squeezed the tire down the center of the tread but that didn't work either.

Here's a video of the wobble I'm hoping to eliminate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KryZCk43yPg

Last edited by Phylodog; 02-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yes you're chasing your tail. That tiny gap can be worked out but not how you're going about it. Loosen all 5 screws slightly and push the bead area in with a small flat tip screwdriver or something of the like and work your way around snugging the screws as you go.

Or just run them. Once they're dirty you'll never notice the jssue.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Am I chasing my tail here? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My dog chasing my brushless Emaxx jrowles91 Videos! 3 10-23-2014 07:23 PM
Knight Rider Chasing Strobe Light jray Newbie General 5 08-12-2011 11:20 PM