Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Genius Ignorante vs Krypton vs Mudslingers 2 XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Default 1.9 Genius Ignorante vs Krypton vs Mudslingers 2 XL

I am currently deciding between the 1.9" Genius Ignorante, Krypton, and Mudslingers 2 XL tires for my comp crawler, not scale, rig. As these are relatively new tires, there is very little information/review on their performance which is why I am here. As my crawler is abnormally light, I need the tires to be as soft as possible and, because this is almost exclusively for rock crawling, I feel that stickiness and large lugs are very important. Finally, given that my wheelbase is 9.5" long, what size tire do you people think would suit it best?
Which tires do you recommend?
The Genius are 4.09", the Kryptons 4.14", and the Mudsligners 4.21".
Also, if you have any other suggestions for soft 1.9" COMP ROCK crawler tires around this size, please let me know. Thank you all.
punktaconyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1.9 Genius Ignorante vs Krypton vs Mudslingers 2 XL

That's quite an interesting group that you are choosing from. Right off the bat, I'd cross the Mud Slingers off the list for a comp tire because the X3 compound is not a soft and sticky as the X2SS compound. As between the Kryptons and the Genius Ignorantes, both of which come in X2SS, the Kryptons work much better on stock foams (the stock foam in the Ignorante is way too soft) and have more grip on slick surfaces due to the tread pattern. The Ignorantes work fine on loose surfaces, but the lugs are spaced too far apart for slick, smooth surfaces. If you like the look of the Ignorantes, check out the Genius Sem Limites. They are only slightly taller, and I find the tread pattern works a fair bit better in a wider range of conditions (though those also need different foams). There are 2 other tires in that general size range that you should consider. The RC4WD 1.9 Duratracs come in their newest compound -- confusingly called X2S3 -- and are excellent (better than all three on your list). There's also a decent chance they would be okay on stock foams for you with a light rig. The other tire to look at would be the Pit Bull 1.9 PBX A/T Hardcores. Don't let the tiny tread blocks on this one fool you...it is as good a class 1 performance tire as you can get.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck with your decision!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
That's quite an interesting group that you are choosing from. Right off the bat, I'd cross the Mud Slingers off the list for a comp tire because the X3 compound is not a soft and sticky as the X2SS compound. As between the Kryptons and the Genius Ignorantes, both of which come in X2SS, the Kryptons work much better on stock foams (the stock foam in the Ignorante is way too soft) and have more grip on slick surfaces due to the tread pattern. The Ignorantes work fine on loose surfaces, but the lugs are spaced too far apart for slick, smooth surfaces. If you like the look of the Ignorantes, check out the Genius Sem Limites. They are only slightly taller, and I find the tread pattern works a fair bit better in a wider range of conditions (though those also need different foams). There are 2 other tires in that general size range that you should consider. The RC4WD 1.9 Duratracs come in their newest compound -- confusingly called X2S3 -- and are excellent (better than all three on your list). There's also a decent chance they would be okay on stock foams for you with a light rig. The other tire to look at would be the Pit Bull 1.9 PBX A/T Hardcores. Don't let the tiny tread blocks on this one fool you...it is as good a class 1 performance tire as you can get.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck with your decision!
Wow, thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful as, for example, I did not even know that the Mudslingers had the inferior X3 compound. I am taking your two other tire suggestions into serious consideration but I am wondering if you have any suggestions for tires that are slightly larger than those you recommended; like, perhaps, an outer diameter of more around 4.3 inches? It is totally fine if you do not. Also, in my newbie opinion the Genius ignorantes seem to have a tread pattern more similar to, say, the 2.2 Sedonas, rovers, and rock claws in that the lugs are fewer and larger, and these tires perform very well on smooth, rocky surfaces, wouldn't the genius ignorantes as well? I do not know. I would like to know what you think about that.

Last edited by punktaconyc; 07-23-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Glad it was helpful. Here are a few more thoughts:
-- X3 isn't inferior, it's just different. It works very well for trail rigs and moderate crawling, and it's excellent on heavy trucks. It's just not best suited to a comp rig.
-- Regarding tire size, consider what class you plan to run. In the scale world, 4.19" is the limit for class 1 and 4.75" is the limit for class 2. So purely from a performance perspective, most of the top performing tires will be either in the 4"-4.19" range or in the 4.5"-4.75" range. RC4WD has a handful of X2SS tires in the 4.2-4.3" range, but they aren't really comp oriented. If you're set on 4.3", the Pro-Line TSL SX comes in right at 4.3" and performs well.
-- Re the Ignorantes vs the Sem Limites, all I can tell you is that in my experience, the Sem Limites perform better overall. I can rationalize away the reasons (the chunky, wider tread blocks on the Ignorante are good for mud and very loose conditions, but not as good for smooth, slick surfaces). And a tread pattern that works well on a larger 2.2 tire won't necessarily work as well on a smaller tire and vice versa. But in the end, it is what it is. And if I've learned anything in the hobby, it's that not everything translates from 1:1 to RC (pneumatic tires are the best example). :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Glad it was helpful. Here are a few more thoughts:
-- X3 isn't inferior, it's just different. It works very well for trail rigs and moderate crawling, and it's excellent on heavy trucks. It's just not best suited to a comp rig.
-- Regarding tire size, consider what class you plan to run. In the scale world, 4.19" is the limit for class 1 and 4.75" is the limit for class 2. So purely from a performance perspective, most of the top performing tires will be either in the 4"-4.19" range or in the 4.5"-4.75" range. RC4WD has a handful of X2SS tires in the 4.2-4.3" range, but they aren't really comp oriented. If you're set on 4.3", the Pro-Line TSL SX comes in right at 4.3" and performs well.
-- Re the Ignorantes vs the Sem Limites, all I can tell you is that in my experience, the Sem Limites perform better overall. I can rationalize away the reasons (the chunky, wider tread blocks on the Ignorante are good for mud and very loose conditions, but not as good for smooth, slick surfaces). And a tread pattern that works well on a larger 2.2 tire won't necessarily work as well on a smaller tire and vice versa. But in the end, it is what it is. And if I've learned anything in the hobby, it's that not everything translates from 1:1 to RC (pneumatic tires are the best example). :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I see what you are saying about the Ignorantes.

https://youtu.be/9fFihJcSiD8

This youtube video shows the RC Crawler Worlds 2016 competition. All of the crawlers are running wheels at least 2.2" ID and they all look like super juice crawlers with their slim bodies and tall, thin tires. Now all of these crawlers have either pin-type tires, what I really want most of all in a 4.3" OD size but do not exist, as well as some rovers and sedonas. Do any of the options closely resemble these tires in performance? What do you think about the RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.9 Baja MTZ crawler tires?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-m...90880?v=215798
Thank you for your help
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't have any experience with comp crawlers or the 2.2 comp tires you mentioned (Sedonas or Rovers), so I don't have a reference for comparing them to smaller 1.9 tires. The best I can do is help you comparing among 1.9s (I haven't run the Baha MTZs, so I can't help you with that one). My best suggestion to you at this point would be to see what other people are running in the class(es) you plan to enter. That would give you a good starting point. Or just be prepared for some trial and error before finding the tires that fit your needs and your rig.

1.9 Genius Ignorante vs Krypton vs Mudslingers 2 XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD 1.9 XL Mudslingers vs standard Mudslingers Headshot450 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 02-05-2016 12:51 PM
New RC4WD Krypton 1.9 Lentsnh2012 Tires and Wheels 18 06-30-2015 01:57 PM