Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Gelande II Turn radius - Rub issues!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Default Gelande II Turn radius - Rub issues!

Hey everyone - long time lurker ready to ask a question.

I run a gelande II cruiser, and I currently run on GMADE SR02 1.9" steel wheels, and the 1.9 rock beast tires with CI comp cut foams with medium outers. Suspension is pro-line 90mm scaler shocks.

I just got done with a shock oil top off last night (leaking... ordered some X-ring style rings to try for the next rebuild). While driving it around a quiet room, I heard something that I had not realized while out on the trail - rubbing!

Not body rubbing though, as the body was off the truck. It turns out that in full turn in either direction, the inside corner treads of the pit bulls start to grab at the front end links! I was able to make adjustments in my radio to limit the travel and avoid this, but now my turn radius is even lower. I was not having issues with body rub.

What are my options? Are there tires that perform like the rock beasts with a narrower profile? Are there front end link alternatives that give me some more space?

Thanks in advance!
jprime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gelande II Turn radius - Rub issues!

The tires are rubbing because of the combination of very narrow offset wheels and tires that are fairly wide and tall for the Gelande platform.

Lots of quality tires that will look and perform good. I have 4.19 KLR ATs, 1.55 Pitbull Growlers, and RC4WD Dick Cepek Extreme Countries that have all been great on a variety of terrain. A few other that I have not yet tried (but look forward to) are the Pitbull ATs, Braven Ironsides, and RC4WD MT-Rs.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

I decided to order a set of the Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcores as they seem nice and scale but still get good reviews for grip.

In other news, I just rebuilt my proline shocks and found that at least 2 leak, so also ordered new o-rings (or X-rings, technically)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

The tires came in. BIG difference.

I chose these because I like how sticky the pit bull alien kompound is, and they are 4.05 inch OD, which gives me a bit more to work with than the stock Dirt Grabbers at 3.75 inch OD, but arent nearly as wide or tall as the rock beasts that I was having issues with. Hopefully this is a good compromise, and they look super scale.

I did get O-rings in from McMaster Carr - https://www2.mcmaster.com/#1200n112/=19gubf3

These are the Buna-N material with the X cross section designed for holding oil in dynamic applications (like a moving shock!). They fit perfectly in my proline scaler shocks 90mm, and seem to seal. I will know in a few days though, since once of the ones I replaced had leaked a LOT of oil just sitting on the shelf since my last post.

Pics tonight... damn firewall blocks flickr at work
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice choice.

I have the PBX ATs and a Cruiser body for another build and the size is pretty much spot on for that body.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #6

Pics! Rebuild with buna n xrings and new tires done. Can't wait to run it, and I hope the new rings hold the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Nice looking rig.

Same as you, running 1.9 RB on my cruiser, currently looking for just a tad bit thinner tire. PBX on my mind, but might wait for the Braven. No rush as winter is setting in soon. But for the comps and points, 4.19 is the tallest at least for class 1.
Attached Images

northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Gelande II Turn radius - Rub issues! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn radius johnson21 Newbie General 6 01-18-2011 09:47 AM
help me decrease my turn radius m0nster Newbie General 5 01-10-2011 11:50 AM
better turn radius ? 76 warlock General Crawlers 5 11-15-2009 08:46 AM
what's your turn radius? wingnutcrawler Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 10-04-2007 10:25 PM
tlt turn radius crawldaddy Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 08-14-2005 07:28 PM