RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Compromise Wood & Rock 1.9 Tire??? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/592932-compromise-wood-rock-1-9-tire.html)

JatoTheRipper 12-21-2017 07:39 AM

Re: Compromise Wood & Rock 1.9 Tire???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchrat (Post 5778352)
Smooth rock like slate, and rocks like sandstones. I crawl a couple places where PBX a/t have some serious gripping power, where the rb xl's just don't have as much.

But that's why we have multiple rigs and tires"thumbsup"

True. The Growlers are bad ass on dry rock. Everywhere else they are held back by the tight lug spacing.

binaryterror 12-21-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGunn (Post 5778348)
I wonder why the MTR didn't come as a directional tire with a pair having a 'left' & 'right' side?

Perhaps the associated cost of a second mold is the answer??? I use to machine molds for plastic injection molding.

Because Goodyear designed them that way. They are not directional specific.

RGunn 12-21-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryterror (Post 5778364)
Because Goodyear designed them that way. They are not directional specific.

Ahhh, I see, thank you for that info.

Nonetheless, I wish they were directional. My OCD for symmetry is pretty strong!:ror:

AWraith build 12-21-2017 09:25 AM

I do like my growlers on my u4 when I'm crawling it. They don't hop and hold a line when I'm hammering down.

AWraith build 12-21-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGunn (Post 5778395)
Ahhh, I see, thank you for that info.

Nonetheless, I wish they were directional. My OCD for symmetry is pretty strong!:ror:

I was the same way with the bfg kr2 side lugs! Lol

DukeMinnix 12-22-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWraith build (Post 5778073)
So you must have never held or seen the mtr. The voids are bigger than anything else iv ran on the outside and inner tread. I won't argue with you bc that's why I think these tires work so well.

If youre familiar with the physics of a tire, when running 1:1 beadlocks or even our RC, you run with little to no air pressure. When you get some wheel speed going, the tire deforms and only the very center of the tread really touches, that is where the MTR has tight lug spacing and others have a more open design. So, for a wet area where wheel speed is important, the outside lugs dont do AS MUCH, now they will still use side bite when you're stuck, but your main area of grip is the dead center of the tread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchrat (Post 5778352)
Smooth rock like slate, and rocks like sandstones. I crawl a couple places where PBX a/t have some serious gripping power, where the rb xl's just don't have as much.

But that's why we have multiple rigs and tires"thumbsup"

hence why I said I'd try it inside or where its arid and dry.

This isn't experience from 10th scale RCs talking. This is real world. If you'll see my avatar, I am an avid jeeper. I currently run 40 inch TSL SXIIs. Prior to that, I ran 40 inch MTRs. I can tell you first had during similar circumstances, on the same vehicle, the real world TSLs far out perform the MTRs in EVERY circumstance, with the exception of dry smooth rock, and ice... and of course on road... my jeep beats me to death, I won't lie about it :lmao:

ferp420 12-22-2017 09:37 AM

The more surface area the tires have the better they will do on smooth dry rock and wood think slicks for dragracing siping spacing and cleaning out realy dosent mean anything in rocks and wood if there wet or any loose stuff thats differant a street tire works realy well on rocks also dry wood so a all terrain or a big street tread is what i would look for personaly

The swampers dont do that well were i live most people i see out on the trail have all terains they say the swampers pull to hard in the ruts and dont bit on the rocks i run wranglers they seem to do well for my little dune runner with light rock duty

JatoTheRipper 12-22-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5778855)
The more surface area the tires have the better they will do on smooth dry rock and wood think slicks for dragracing siping spacing and cleaning out realy dosent mean anything in rocks and wood if there wet or any loose stuff thats differant a street tire works realy well on rocks also dry wood so a all terrain or a big street tread is what i would look for personaly

The swampers dont do that well were i live most people i see out on the trail have all terains they say the swampers pull to hard in the ruts and dont bit on the rocks i run wranglers they seem to do well for my little dune runner with light rock duty

A perfectly smooth, dry, and dirt free surface rarely exists in nature at least her on the East Coast.

AWraith build 12-22-2017 12:01 PM

This isn't experience from 10th scale RCs talking. This is real world. If you'll see my avatar, I am an avid jeeper. I currently run 40 inch TSL SXIIs. Prior to that, I ran 40 inch MTRs. I can tell you first had during similar circumstances, on the same vehicle, the real world TSLs far out perform the MTRs in EVERY circumstance, with the exception of dry smooth rock, and ice... and of course on road... my jeep beats me to death, I won't lie about it :lmao:[/QUOTE]
I have wheeled for 30 year. I run 40in nitto mud grapplers on my yj with tons at 4psi on the trail. Before that I ran 42in red label mtrs. And I agree with you, But the scaled mtr is really space out even in the center. I think we agree on everything except I have the mtr's and run them and they are way better than I ever expected. It's wet and snow here now and they are shining above everything else. I'm not trying to push the tire. I'm not a fan boy. Like I said my other tire that's doing awesome is the bfg proline krawler. On my rigs with my style driving those 2 tires are doing the best for me. That's all.

STANG KILLA SS 12-22-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5778240)
I gotta say, while I have no horse in this race, the MTR does have very large voids...

Witness:

1.9" 4.75" height:

http://www.rc4wd.co.uk/product/Z-T0158-10.jpg

like!:shock:"thumbsup"

durok 12-22-2017 11:04 PM

Watched a GCM/SBG YouTube vid where he was seriously gleeking over the 4.19" MTR, loved everything about them, mentioned their stickiness especially.

He'd only tried them out because of multiple recommendations from other scale enthusiasts.

Was showing the serious ribbing inside the tire that stabilizes the tread and sidewall, and also mentioned that the foam was white and of better stiffness than the usual grey RC4WD included foam.

I'm reasonably certain that when I upgrade from stock wheels & tires on the K10 Ascender I'm trying these myself, my terrain is quite dry and rocky.

RGunn 12-23-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5779079)
Watched a GCM/SBG YouTube vid where he was seriously gleeking over the 4.19" MTR, loved everything about them, mentioned their stickiness especially.

He'd only tried them out because of multiple recommendations from other scale enthusiasts.

Was showing the serious ribbing inside the tire that stabilizes the tread and sidewall, and also mentioned that the foam was white and of better stiffness than the usual grey RC4WD included foam.

I'm reasonably certain that when I upgrade from stock wheels & tires on the K10 Ascender I'm trying these myself, my terrain is quite dry and rocky.

Is this the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kaQY2R0tE

ferp420 12-23-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5778861)
A perfectly smooth, dry, and dirt free surface rarely exists in nature at least her on the East Coast.

True but indoors is not in nature

durok 12-23-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGunn (Post 5779157)

Yep, that's the one...

RGunn 01-08-2018 04:06 PM

MTR's 4.19 back in-stock at AMain.