Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Baby Hustlers/Terra wheels Mini Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Baby Hustlers/Terra wheels Mini Review

I was looking for a smaller tire for my CFX/CMX rigs with a little more of a performance oriented design. Not a lot of options out there for sure. I saw Boom was coming out with a "Baby" Hustler in 1.55 size with an OD of about 3.74. Perfect!

Ordered a set from Asiatees when they came into stock, along with a set of Terra beadlocks in Gunmetal (I wanted silver, but they are sold out everywhere apparently.) Took 7 days using standard shipping to get to my door - not bad at all.

Got home from vacation in NC and found them waiting for me. Always good to come home to RC parts!! Forgive the sub-par pics, I also came home to a partially flooded basement - 19" of rain in the past 2 months is taking its toll. Had to temporarily move upstairs for RC time. Wife loves when the kitchen table becomes a workbench.

Tires look very good - lots of lettering and some funky slogans on the sides. All crisp and legible, even the tiny print. RC tire molds have come a long way. Had a little rubber flashing here and there, but no worse than my Prolines or other brands. Took the foams out and scrubbed the tires down with some Dawn. Compound feels pretty good - decently soft and sticky.

Comes with single stage foams, about a medium-ish compound. They are not flat, they are tapered in the middle where the wheel sits - nice touch.

The Terra wheels are damn nice. Finish was flawless, and comes with a lot of goodies - wide hexes, extra screws, standard 1.5mm screws (in case you don't want to use the scale hardware I guess) and wheel nuts. All kinds of spacers and other stuff too - not even sure what all it's for.

Not really a fan of all the screws...I think 5 or so would have done the trick here.

The scale hardware needs a 2mm socket. I turned down a screw and it worked like a charm.

Didn't exactly fall together, but not the worst beadlocks I've ever assembled. Used a bit of Windex to help things along, and soon I had them all mounted. I added a wrap of lead weight around each BL ring. It's old school, but there's not a lot of options for mounting weight down low on the CFX/CMX so weight in the wheels it is. Works fine for my driving style. (Beef Tubes now has weights for the MST rigs, but I didn't have $50 for them, so old school lead weights it was.)

Comparison shots with my 1.55 Mudthrashers. Just a slight bit larger OD, width is about the same.

Mounted up on my CMX. I wanted to mount them on my CFX, but the wheels didn't clear the knuckle weights, even with the wider hexes. The CMX is bone stock, and they fit right on. I left the center caps off for now in case I need to made any changes. I'm not a fan of the tire's sidewall design - it's a bit too aggressive looking to me, but overall I like the look.

Running test to follow as soon as it dries out a bit. I'm slowly building a test course in the backyard that's perfect for comparison testing. 3 ramps at different angles (45, 50, 55 degrees) for climbing tests, as well as plenty of rocks, loose gravel and dirt. Bridges to follow as well. Nice to be able to test and tune rigs in a consistent manner without a 30 minute drive to the nearest crawl spot.

Last edited by OSRC; 08-15-2018 at 08:38 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #2

Default Re: Baby Hustlers/Terra wheels Mini Review

Those foams look different than what came in my 1.9 tires. Mine were pathetically soft for my Ascender. There's a whole thread on here somewhere about the tires and the odd sidewalls. It's a funny thread at times.

Those wheels are awesome. They caught my eye when I first saw them, but I never had anything to put them on. It's sad if they have been discontinued. They look great on that truck. Boom Racing wheels are highly underrated IMO.

EDIT: The Terra tires, including silver, are back in stock.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 08-15-2018 at 07:56 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #3

those wheels look fantastic. I also really like those tires, except maybe for the sidewall tread, which as you said, is a bit much. The actual tread section itself looks great though.

I think this would be a nice setup for my Barrage Doomsday.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've been reading the Hustler thread, it is quite amusing!!

Of course they are back in stock. I swear, they waited until I finally pulled the trigger and then restocked. Might pick up a set of silver wheels regardless. Really like the look of them.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I was looking for a smaller tire for my CFX/CMX rigs with a little more of a performance oriented design. Not a lot of options out there for sure. I saw Boom was coming out with a "Baby" Hustler in 1.55 size with an OD of about 3.74. Perfect!

Ordered a set from Asiatees when they came into stock, along with a set of Terra beadlocks in Gunmetal (I wanted silver, but they are sold out everywhere apparently.) Took 7 days using standard shipping to get to my door - not bad at all.

Got home from vacation in NC and found them waiting for me. Always good to come home to RC parts!! Forgive the sub-par pics, I also came home to a partially flooded basement - 19" of rain in the past 2 months is taking its toll. Had to temporarily move upstairs for RC time. Wife loves when the kitchen table becomes a workbench.

Tires look very good - lots of lettering and some funky slogans on the sides. All crisp and legible, even the tiny print. RC tire molds have come a long way. Had a little rubber flashing here and there, but no worse than my Prolines or other brands. Took the foams out and scrubbed the tires down with some Dawn. Compound feels pretty good - decently soft and sticky.

Comes with single stage foams, about a medium-ish compound. They are not flat, they are tapered in the middle where the wheel sits - nice touch.

The Terra wheels are damn nice. Finish was flawless, and comes with a lot of goodies - wide hexes, extra screws, standard 1.5mm screws (in case you don't want to use the scale hardware I guess) and wheel nuts. All kinds of spacers and other stuff too - not even sure what all it's for.

Not really a fan of all the screws...I think 5 or so would have done the trick here.

The scale hardware needs a 2mm socket. I turned down a screw and it worked like a charm.

Didn't exactly fall together, but not the worst beadlocks I've ever assembled. Used a bit of Windex to help things along, and soon I had them all mounted. I added a wrap of lead weight around each BL ring. It's old school, but there's not a lot of options for mounting weight down low on the CFX/CMX so weight in the wheels it is. Works fine for my driving style. (Beef Tubes now has weights for the MST rigs, but I didn't have $50 for them, so old school lead weights it was.)

Comparison shots with my 1.55 Mudthrashers. Just a slight bit larger OD, width is about the same.

Mounted up on my CMX. I wanted to mount them on my CFX, but the wheels didn't clear the knuckle weights, even with the wider hexes. The CMX is bone stock, and they fit right on. I left the center caps off for now in case I need to made any changes. I'm not a fan of the tire's sidewall design - it's a bit too aggressive looking to me, but overall I like the look.

Running test to follow as soon as it dries out a bit. I'm slowly building a test course in the backyard that's perfect for comparison testing. 3 ramps at different angles (45, 50, 55 degrees) for climbing tests, as well as plenty of rocks, loose gravel and dirt. Bridges to follow as well. Nice to be able to test and tune rigs in a consistent manner without a 30 minute drive to the nearest crawl spot.
Really nice looking. Like those wheels

Give this trick a try next time takes the hard parts right out of it. Really like the turning down of the screw

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
bent_hinge_pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Snuck in about 30 minutes of testing. I'm sure they'll need a good trail run to fully break in, but they did great. The wide tread really digs into the loose stuff where the Mudthrashers struggled.

Sidehilling was good, though the foams were a bit soft. Not too bad though, not in any hurry to change them. The CMX is relatively light so the single stage foams worked out fine.

Great grip when climbing. I'd say they are on par with any of my big name tires.

Didn't make it up the 55d ramp though (but neither did the pitbulls) but had no issues on the other two.

The extra heigh comes in handy with those big MST pumpkins, but I did have a lot of tire rub. Think I'll move these over to the CFX as the body will accommodate them better and put the mudthrashers back on here.

All in all, pretty happy with them. Best little tire I've got so far. Now down to loosen up that D-ring - that drives me crazy!!

Last edited by OSRC; 08-15-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
Give this trick a try next time takes the hard parts right out of it. Really like the turning down of the screw
Great tip, but the wheels don't go together that way. That method is perfect for wheels that bolt together in the center. The front and back halves are held together with 12 screws around the outer edge of the wheel.

FYI, please don't quote the entire post with pics. Bad forum etiquette - it makes for a lot of unnecessary scrolling.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Video!!! Way time for a camera upgrade...

Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #9

Nice little video. The tires seem to work well. Maybe I should give my Hustlers another shot on different rims, but they simply wouldn't stay on my Incision MR307 wheels. They pulled off even when Vanquish sent me wider inner rings. It looks like only the steepest (55° IIRC) test ramp needs a little stick 'em so you can get traction.

These are fun little trucks. We need to get them out again as soon as it stops raining.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, though my Canon FS100 is sorely outdated, and I'm not a fan of the GoPro setup. Great shots, but I like a viewfinder.

I moved the tires over to my CFX, just have to paint the body once the basement dries out. Fits the body better. The Bronco has the Mudthrashers back on it.

Agreed, we need to get these back out in the wild.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Picked up another set of 1.55 wheels for my CMX. Since silver seems to be out of stock everywhere, I went with black this time.

I think plain black wheels look a little bland, so I had the idea to add a machined lip to them. Chucked them into a drill using an old rear axle and broke out the sandpaper.

Used various grits of sandpaper and just sanded off the anodising on the lip. Machined on the right, stock on the left.

Had a bit of trouble mounting them to the Hustler tires, but they fell right on the Mud Thrashers. Had them together in under 10 minutes.

Adds a nice visual break between the wheel and tire..left the center caps off for now so I could add the hubs up front.

Compared to my gunmetal set
Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #12

That looks great.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nice touch on the black rims. I too, wanted the silver rims but I could only come up with the gun metal. I was able to grab some 1.55 MTZ's from Asia Tees that are 3.75".

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Kil...d=148304&pid=1

Not a fan of the sidewall on the Hustlers, but the tread looks sweet.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I ran them back to back this weekend - the Hustlers had way more grip then the Mudthrashers. About on par with Jato's MTR's he was running on his CMX. Agree the sidewalls look a git goofy.

Baby Hustlers/Terra wheels Mini Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PL 2.2 Swamper XL (mini review) Crawler++ Tires and Wheels 13 03-18-2015 08:39 AM
Mini summit review twisted Traxxas Crawlers 34 11-08-2011 01:44 AM
Baby Broh!!! Mini GC-2 TEDROCKZ Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 37 02-23-2009 06:21 PM
Losi's mini crawler review Casey Peck Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 24 11-11-2008 12:40 PM
baby stroller wheels 77chevy4x4 Chit Chat 21 07-28-2005 07:41 PM