Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: SSD wide wheels/Crawler innovations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SSD wide wheels/Crawler innovations

I have a set of SSD 1.9 rock racer wide wheels, 25.5mm wide. If I fit these with e.g. C.I. Deuce Wild foams, the foam seems to slide side to side on the inner ring, because the ring is wider. What's the best way to keep it in place, I wonder. Glue it on? or use CI tuning rings, cut down the diameter to the minimum just to keep it from sliding? I don't know.. And what tires are good for wider wheels? Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 11-22-2018 at 09:59 AM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: SSD wide wheels/Crawler innovations

There are quite a few options to prevent the inner foam from sliding on the clamp ring. I prefer to use Shoe Goo and glue the inner to the clamp ring. Another option is add a Tuning Disc (Deuce's Wild P/N CWR-3015). The tuning disc adds width to the foams, which also keep the inner foam centered on the clamp ring. Some people use double sided tape, and tape the inner to the clamp ring. I've seen others use 3M spray adhesive too.

In my experience, wider tires work better with wide rims for rc crawling. The Pitbull Rock Beast XOR is a perfect example of a wide tire, whether it's 1.9 or 2.2. The wide tire, coupled with a wide rim, produce a large contact patch.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Another fix would be to manufacture the inner foam without the radius on the ID so it would not slide on the ring. This is not a new problem it is well known that manufacturers are offering wider wheels these days. It would be nice if CI offered a wide wheel option foam. The PB Rock Beast XORs mounted on SSD wheels is a great example. Even wider wheels such as LURC with double wheel wideners are also becoming popular.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-23-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Another fix would be to manufacture the inner foam without the radius on the ID so it would not slide on the ring. This is not a new problem it is well known that manufacturers are offering wider wheels these days. It would be nice if CI offered a wide wheel option foam. The PB Rock Beast XORs mounted on SSD wheels is a great example. Even wider wheels such as LURC with double wheel wideners are also becoming popular.

Crawler Innovations already offers that, they are called Double Deuce Foams. 1.750" width inner foam for Double Deuce, compared to the 1.375" width for Lil Nova.

Crawler Innovations also offer Deuce's Wild Tuning Discs, which are specifically for adding width to your foams to fill your tires, control forward bite, and increase side hill stability; P/N; CWR-3015

Each disc is .0250" thick.

Basically, if your 1.9 rim is the width of a 2.2 size rim, or your 1.9 rim is using a 2.2 sized tire with a 1.9 bead, you obviously need to step up to the larger foam size, and be prepared to trim away the excess not needed in the tire.

The wide 1.9 bead locks are a fairly new offering, and for the most part, custom made. Prior to this, back in 2007, the standard clamp ring width for 1.9 was always .750". Hence the reason for Lil Nova Foams, smaller heights and widths.

Now in 2018, as technology advances manufacturing, and social media connects the customers and trolls to the manufactures, the 1.9 wheel market is changing. How come none of you guys are asking the Wheel Manufacturer to machine grooves or stop ridges in the clamp rings? How come you don't see any innovations in the bead lock designs themselves? DE Racing added ribbing to their 1:8 scale line of wheels in 2017 to help prevent foam slide. People like myself added machined support rings to the rim inside of the tire back in 2008, and wheels similar to that are offered by Y Town Crawlers and Dlux Fab still today.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Crawler Innovations already offers that, they are called Double Deuce Foams. 1.750" width inner foam for Double Deuce, compared to the 1.375" width for Lil Nova.

Crawler Innovations also offer Deuce's Wild Tuning Discs, which are specifically for adding width to your foams to fill your tires, control forward bite, and increase side hill stability; P/N; CWR-3015

Each disc is .0250" thick.

Basically, if your 1.9 rim is the width of a 2.2 size rim, or your 1.9 rim is using a 2.2 sized tire with a 1.9 bead, you obviously need to step up to the larger foam size, and be prepared to trim away the excess not needed in the tire.

The wide 1.9 bead locks are a fairly new offering, and for the most part, custom made. Prior to this, back in 2007, the standard clamp ring width for 1.9 was always .750". Hence the reason for Lil Nova Foams, smaller heights and widths.

Now in 2018, as technology advances manufacturing, and social media connects the customers and trolls to the manufactures, the 1.9 wheel market is changing. How come none of you guys are asking the Wheel Manufacturer to machine grooves or stop ridges in the clamp rings? How come you don't see any innovations in the bead lock designs themselves? DE Racing added ribbing to their 1:8 scale line of wheels in 2017 to help prevent foam slide. People like myself added machined support rings to the rim inside of the tire back in 2008, and wheels similar to that are offered by Y Town Crawlers and Dlux Fab still today.

The Double Deuce is a 2.2 foam, the L'll Nova is a 1.9 foam. How does that help? Rather than making excuses, I would recommend keeping up with the market. BTW, I have recommend cutting groves in the rings of the wheels. In case you didn't remember where you got the idea. And finally, calling your customers trolls does not seem like a very smart business practice.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-24-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Double Deuce is a 2.2 foam, the L'll Nova is a 1.9 foam. How does that help? Rather than making excuses, I would recommend keeping up with the market. BTW, I have recommend cutting groves in the rings of the wheels. In case you didn't remember where you got the idea. And finally, calling your customers trolls does not seem like a very smart business practice.

You are a troll whether you like it or not!! You about 10 others or so on here. Hence the reason this has been suckin big time lately!!

CI offers great products.

If you have issues with product. Be professional and send a PM instead of acting like a douche and calling them out publicly!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I used the tuning rings in my new set of locked up-rc 1.9” OEV (wide) wheels w/ double widening rings. After I was done assembling the wheels they measured out to 1.76”. I used a set of pit bull 1.9” XORs which are 1.9” wide. I used tuning discs on both sides of each wheel/tire, by sandwiching the lil’ Nova foams between 2 tuning discs I was able to fill out the tire perfectly, with no side to side foam movements, also it give you a nice firmer sidewall, without compromising the gripping section of the tire. I was also able to not make the tires look bulging, and tight, by using the Just enough foam till fill a wide tire/wheel properly.

And for anyone that wants to use a 2.2” foam for a 1.9” tire since the foams are indeed wider, I had great success installing to closed cell portion of the double deuce for the 2.2” rock beast IIs into a 1.9” proline super swamper, it gave the tires a sharper edge where the sidewall meets the contact patch...but I never got to use them. The dog ate 2.5 of them before I got home from work.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Problem is you're basically asking CI to fix a wheel issue by adding a completely new product line that only works with newer, wider wheels. Apparently Pro-Line and the chinese didn't come up with this "fix" either when they offered their own closed cell foams either. Now you're claiming that you've come up with cutting rings into the wheel? He's probably thought about changing the foam but since a lot of his customers aren't on the forums, he probably doesn't want to add a completely new problem where users aren't sure what the width of their wheels are and if they need the new "wide" CI foams or the old narrower inners. Then they'll wonder why their tires are so hard to mount because they have a wheel that is slightly narrower than the wide inner foam and can't seat the bead right. He tells them to trim the foam, customer bitches that they want something to work out of the package, etc. etc.

Maybe you guys can strike a deal where you start answering CI's support emails in exchange for some R&D tips.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here we go with this again. There are a couple simple fixes for foams sliding on the wheels, alot simpler than what I've seen in this thread.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the advice, guys I'll try the tuning discs first. Now my next battle will be to get Proline tires onto the wide wheels with normal style beadlock. Sometimes it's no problem, other times it's a nightmare!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD wide wheels/Crawler innovations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD 2.2 Assassin Wide Wheels SSD Tires and Wheels 5 01-02-2017 09:14 AM