Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Stretch or trim foams for bigger wheel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Stretch or trim foams for bigger wheel?

I’ve got a set of old 2.2 Mud Slingers I’m wanting to bring into the modern times with some new dual foams. The carcass measures about 4.375x1.625”. Tire itself measures 4.75x2.875”. So there’s a lot of lug on these.

The 4.25” CI Lil Nova seems to be the best fit on paper aside from the 1.9 ID. Would stretching this on a 2.2 wheel or dremeling it to fit be best?

Due to the shear amount of lug, would a Deuce’s Wild 1.9 XL use the tire lugs better? These are 4.25x1.5” closed cell. Stretched on these would be nearly perfect. Or the 3211 closed cell 2.2 that’s 4.125x1.5”?

This’ll be going on my Capra. Too many choices out there.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Stretch or trim foams for bigger wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I’ve got a set of old 2.2 Mud Slingers I’m wanting to bring into the modern times with some new dual foams. The carcass measures about 4.375x1.625”. Tire itself measures 4.75x2.875”. So there’s a lot of lug on these.

The 4.25” CI Lil Nova seems to be the best fit on paper aside from the 1.9 ID. Would stretching this on a 2.2 wheel or dremeling it to fit be best?

Due to the shear amount of lug, would a Deuce’s Wild 1.9 XL use the tire lugs better? These are 4.25x1.5” closed cell. Stretched on these would be nearly perfect. Or the 3211 closed cell 2.2 that’s 4.125x1.5”?

This’ll be going on my Capra. Too many choices out there.
I would contact eddy from Crawler Innovation and he will get you rolling in no time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
I would contact eddy from Crawler Innovation and he will get you rolling in no time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Too easy and no speculation.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

What does the RC weigh RTR?
How wide is the rim and what size is it?
What is the intended usage?
How much voltage will be run?

In general the mud slinger is a poor performer and not a tire CI receives a lot of interest in.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Thread, PM, and Email for this question, and I suspect that IMO, it's not going to work. The tire is too short, somewhat rigid, and has huge lugs that RC's do not benefit from. I would not use the tire and would recommend something better quality.

No, a Lil Nova will be too Narrow in width, its for a 1.9 tire.

Yes, a Double Deuce will fit it width wise.

The only Double Deuce that will fit in that short tire is a 5.0 Double Deuce Comp Cut version with either a soft or medium outer depending on weight and intended usage. A 5.25 Double Deuce could possibly be stuffed into it as well depending on the outer density. The tire will be over stuffed and require some foam tuning and possibly trimming.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
What does the RC weigh RTR?
How wide is the rim and what size is it?
What is the intended usage?
How much voltage will be run?

In general the mud slinger is a poor performer and not a tire CI receives a lot of interest in.

It’s pretty much a stock Capra. Weight is a stocker. No added weight. I’d weight it but can’t find my luggage scales ATM.

Wheels are 2.2s and 1.6” wide.

Intended usage is more dirt and loose stuff than actual rocks. Not much rocks in my area.

2s and 3s brushed power.

I can see how it’d be a poor performer with the massive lugs that can fold over and in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Thread, PM, and Email for this question, and I suspect that IMO, it's not going to work. The tire is too short, somewhat rigid, and has huge lugs that RC's do not benefit from. I would not use the tire and would recommend something better quality.

No, a Lil Nova will be too Narrow in width, its for a 1.9 tire.

Yes, a Double Deuce will fit it width wise.

The only Double Deuce that will fit in that short tire is a 5.0 Double Deuce Comp Cut version with either a soft or medium outer depending on weight and intended usage. A 5.25 Double Deuce could possibly be stuffed into it as well depending on the outer density. The tire will be over stuffed and require some foam tuning and possibly trimming.

I think overstuffing a Double Deuce would work for me. All depends on the OD of the inner foam really.

I pulled a 3002 (5.25” Deuces Wild) out of another set of tires and the width looks to be spot on. Put a 1.9 3001 (4x1.5”) in and they almost filled out the tire. Ima get a set of 3014 (4.25x1.75) and run them.

Thanks for the thoughts and criticism. Especially since it’s an unpopular and outdated tire.

Stretch or trim foams for bigger wheel? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you trim the stock tire foams? maverick67 Axial SCX10 II 3 09-18-2016 05:21 PM
best way to trim down proline tsl foams squeaky3 Tires and Wheels 31 01-24-2016 08:47 PM
Wheel base stretch old man 52 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 01-01-2013 06:58 PM
just ordered hb rovers how to trim foams? dranger962000 Tires and Wheels 12 01-14-2010 12:07 AM
The Best Wheel Base Stretch twisted General Crawlers 5 02-07-2006 06:37 PM