Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Cheap or Frugal? :))

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Cheap or Frugal? :))

I like to stretch my hobby dollars, no actually I LOVE to get a good bang for my hobby buck. I figure others might be in the same camp, so thought to share a recent purchase.

This "INJORA" branded wheel/tire combo represents extreme value for the money. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tires are Hyrax clones that perform pretty well. They perform about as well as the originals, tho they do seem to wear out faster. There are several YouTube comparos, here's one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyomOcobWWI

Still, you could get a second set of tires (22 bucks a pop) and still come out ahead. Added bonus: the wheels are supper heavy adding extra weight where needed.

Here they are on my PW. One thing tho, the screws that join the two wheel halves are only 2mm, so a light touch is required not to strip them. I used a little blue loctite and it went fine.

JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cheap or Frugal? :))

Well done, they look great and you can’t beat the cost.
Uncle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

looks like they wont last long good video
1FSTLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcQBgjAO23I
1FSTLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
Here's another comparo where they list the weight of the wheels at 125g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahuqx3mVO5Q
Old 11-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I run much the same thought process, that being said I don't mind spending a bit more extra coin in certain areas. For example, on my SCX10.3 I have INJORA wheels @ $50 / set ( id love some vanquish methods but by the time they get here they'd be almost $200 for a set ) but I am running proline Krawlers with proline dual stage foams. Wheels basically have one job, to hold the tire under the rig and turn when power is applied . The injoras work very well at both. Are they 100% true probably not but its a crawler not a 100mph car.

I also don't see a need for spending big bucks on bumpers / scale accessories. Bumpers are gonna catch heck while crawling and I feel better about gouging a rock into a 35-40 dollar bumper than I would a 100 dollar one.

I like spending my cash where it counts, ESC, motors, servos ( I used to run amazon 20kg servos due to price and expected power but am upgrading to REEFS shortly ), tires, foams. If it helps drivability and performance ill spend the extra, if its for looks ill cheap out a bit.

My exception to this rule is only if I can't get a comparable item I'm looking for from a knock off company, example of this would be : I wanted a low profile lightbar for the 10.3, INJORA makes a light bar that would fit, but its almost 3/8" high, I wanted something a bit slimmer, the only one I liked that I could find was the Proline 6" curved. So instead of spending $30 on an amazon special I handed out $70 for the Proline unit and am very glad I did. But this exception only relates to the looks department not so much electronics.
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion10 View Post
For example, on my SCX10.3 I have INJORA wheels @ $50 / set

I also don't see a need for spending big bucks on bumpers / scale accessories. Bumpers are gonna catch heck while crawling and I feel better about gouging a rock into a 35-40 dollar bumper than I would a 100 dollar one.

I like spending my cash where it counts, ESC, motors, servos ( I used to run amazon 20kg servos due to price and expected power but am upgrading to REEFS shortly ), tires, foams. If it helps drivability and performance ill spend the extra, if its for looks ill cheap out a bit.
Got a link to those wheels?

Yeah, I made the mistake and spent a lot of money on looks, and kind of ignored performance. I bought huge bumpers, huge rear spare tire mount, full length metal roof rack, and a bunch of scale accessories. It made my TRX4 preform horrible! But at the time, it was my first crawler and I didn’t know better. Since then, I have ditched all the heavy metal stuff and have became a I guess you could say a minimalist. I completely ditched both bumpers, spare tire mount, and roof rack. It performs a lot better now, and honestly looks better.

Also, I was terrified to cut my body. Well, I have turned from wanting looks to wanting performance, so I opened up my fenders so I don’t rub anymore, I’ve cut about 1/2”ish off the bottom of my body so it doesn’t catch on anything, and I’m soon going to print some rock sliders.

I have made some mistakes and definitely wasted money, but I learned and that’s what matters.

And yeah, I got a $30 servo because I was being cheap, and within 2 weeks it smoked. Spend more, replace once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

Well to answer the question, frugal. I'm also a fan of amazon wheels. The only issue I've seen is sometimes the colors are off from the pics/descriptions. But you can't go too far off with black and silver!
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm not a fan of those wheels but do like the Method knock offs. I am a fan of the stamped steel wheels though. I've got 2 sets at the moment. Easily stripped and painted, can powdercoat if you wanted, hardware is easily found, cheap aluminum or plastic hubs from the old Axial wheels fit with a little trimming, and you can widen or narrow them with some thin wall PVC and a little sanding.

As for tires, the knock offs are never as grippy. I do have a set of those FauxRax on a 2wd Stampede and they look good and do well on it. Especially with some wide wheels and hard foams. I've used the GMade tires to good result and bought them cheap from fleaBay and from here.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I run

I agree but spending cash on a Reefsrc servo isnt exactly frugal...they are rebranded chinese servos sold for a lot more! You would be better off with a PowerHD or Agfrc servo 😉
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I run much the same thought process, that being said I don't mind spending a bit more extra coin in certain areas. For example, on my SCX10.3 I have INJORA wheels @ $50 / set ( id love some vanquish methods but by the time they get here they'd be almost $200 for a set ) but I am running proline Krawlers with proline dual stage foams. Wheels basically have one job, to hold the tire under the rig and turn when power is applied . The injoras work very well at both. Are they 100% true probably not but its a crawler not a 100mph car.

My exception to this rule is only if I can't get a comparable item I'm looking for from a knock off company, example of this would be : I wanted a low profile lightbar for the 10.3, INJORA makes a light bar that would fit, but its almost 3/8" high, I wanted something a bit slimmer, the only one I liked that I could find was the Proline 6" curved. So instead of spending $30 on an amazon special I handed out $70 for the Proline unit and am very glad I did. But this exception only relates to the looks department not so much electronics.
Well expressed, spend money where it counts. Intended use also factors in for me. I'm not comping my rigs. My wife and I enjoy a few hours on the weekend tooling around our local crawler course https://markhampark.com/rc-truck-and-crawler-course/ and for our purposes the Hirax clone tires work just fine.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I like SSD because of their weight and I can see the measurements on their website. I like as much backspacing as possible so I can set the width with extensions. I like to comp so I like to be narrow so it is easier to fit through gates. I have gotten some Injora rims of Amazon and they didn't have as much back spacing BUT if that is not an issue I see no reason not to get Injora rims. I have gotten the cheaper tires and noticed a difference in performance.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
I agree but spending cash on a Reefsrc servo isnt exactly frugal...they are rebranded chinese servos sold for a lot more! You would be better off with a PowerHD or Agfrc servo

Huh? Have fun finding a cheap Chinese servo that has 777oz!

Old 11-13-2020, 05:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Huh? Have fun finding a cheap Chinese servo that has 777oz!
I didnt say that they have to be cheap

here is another --->https://nsdrcscaleparts.com/shop/ols/products/rs800

Last edited by themountain; 11-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I don't think wheels are worth spending a lot of money on. I bought some Injora wheels as well from my crawler for $40 for the set, and they've been great. No stripped screw holes or hardware and no bends. Holds the bead very well. I also got knockoff wheel weights from amazon because weight is weight.

Tires and foams on the other hand, I think are very important. I've got Proline dual stage foams with JConcepts Landmine tires and they're vastly better than anything I've had from ebay/Injora/other knockoffs.
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
I didnt say that they have to be cheap

here is another --->https://nsdrcscaleparts.com/shop/ols/products/rs800

No, actually I’m not a “bit slow” lmao.

Most Chinese stuff is cheap

Why so aggressive? Serious question.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I wont hold it against anyone for being Frugal but personally I chose to vote with my dollars and support companies who're actively designing their own crawler parts instead of ripping off designs from others.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-13-2020 at 02:11 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I wont hold it against anyone for being Frugal but personally I chose to vote with my dollars and support companies who're actively designing their own crawler parts instead of ripping off designs form others.

Yup, same here

Old 11-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yup, same here

thats why you have an eco servo, right ?
Old 11-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I wont hold it against anyone for being Frugal but personally I chose to vote with my dollars and support companies who're actively designing their own crawler parts instead of ripping off designs from others.

Amen! I will spend a bit more to buy genuine VP wheels long before I send my money to China for a wheel that has been ripped off.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheap or Frugal? :)) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MO CLAWS , by the frugal gormet. camobob Tires and Wheels 14 10-11-2010 11:45 PM