Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Axial Rockster Beadlock Problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial Rockster Beadlock Problems?

Has anybody else had problems with the hexes spinning inside the wheels? I have new Pede hexes, and two of them have turned inside the wheel. They fit good and tight. Why is this happening? I don't really want to have to glue hexes in. Is there another solution?:-(
DoddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i just tired to do this by hand with no luck, i run the gmade wideners
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Hexes spinning

I just mounted up a new set of Axial beadlocks and have had the same problem. I'm running g-mage wheel wideners and only one wheel has been a problem. It's not stripping out the wheel hex but more of a skipping problem. I solved this by tightening the wheel nuts using a 7mm socket and a nut driver. The forward torque from the axle whren the wheel is bound up causes the nut to loosen. This in turm dis-engages the mesh of the hex and the wheel. I also put a drop of "Blue" Locktite in the g-made barrel nut. If you are running the stock nylon lock nuts, drop on a split waster/flat washer/split washer then the nut. This gives you more tension on the wheel as well.
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i noticed this mounting a set on TTR CVD's and trial fitting them. spinning them by hand seemed to turn on the hex, i didnt try it any further though since i didnt want to strip the hex.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I sent an email to Axial asking about this issue. I'll update this thread when I get a reply.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The issues are being caused by the nut loosening on the axle and not holding the wheel tightly against the hex hub, once the nut loosens the hex will start to turn in the wheel.

I am currently running TLT axles on my crawler with the standard hex hub, I am using HPI MT2 lock nuts that have a flange and act as a washer. I really crank them down making sure that the nylon is on the axle to ensure they do not loosen up. I am not able to use the supplied washer but have not had any spinning of the hubs and have been running them for quite some time.

On Wheely King set ups we recommend running the metal hex hubs from the HPI MT2 as well as the lock nuts.

Thanks,
Axial
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #7

Use some JB weld to hold the hex nut in. Its just something I saw in a thread a while back. It will keep the wheel from spinning on ya! If this is not a cure let me know so when my Rocksters/ scorpion tire set up gets here.
tommyjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Another standard practice when using aluminum hexes on ANY plastic wheel is to add a small drop of CA to keep the hex in. When and IF you ever need to remove the hex from the wheel, you can almost always pop the hex back out without damaging the wheel, or the hex.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Its funny I've never had this problem with any other wheels. And by the way the nuts were tight! I guess its back to my RC4WD wheels.
DoddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial wheels

Torqued the wheel nuts down nice and tight, tortured the truck for 2 hours. No more problems
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoddS View Post
Its funny I've never had this problem with any other wheels. And by the way the nuts were tight! I guess its back to my RC4WD wheels.
Hey uh I'll take those Rocksters off your hands!
tommyjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've been having the same problem! I can only drive 10 ft and then I have to tighten them again! It seems to me that the hub on the wheel is too thick so the nylon on the lock nut can't lock because it can't bite enough threads
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Curious to see if people were still experiencing any problems with the hexes on the Axial 2.2 beadlocks?

I didn't think much about it until I had the same problem on rear of my WK comp truck. Not actually to the point of slipping, but the hexes were rotated past the flats, and jammed in the wheels. This was with the stock HPI hexes, using the metal washers, and the wheels nuts were still tight. The fronts were ok, so I swapped them to the rear, and installed some new TLT hexes I had on hand. Next time out, same thing happend again. Never had a problem with stripping hexes before (unless you count the wimpy Traxxas wheels) I really don't want to glue the hexes in, but maybe I don't have a choice until I can afford some Ericson beadlocks.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1803 View Post
Curious to see if people were still experiencing any problems with the hexes on the Axial 2.2 beadlocks?

I didn't think much about it until I had the same problem on rear of my WK comp truck. Not actually to the point of slipping, but the hexes were rotated past the flats, and jammed in the wheels. This was with the stock HPI hexes, using the metal washers, and the wheels nuts were still tight. The fronts were ok, so I swapped them to the rear, and installed some new TLT hexes I had on hand. Next time out, same thing happend again. Never had a problem with stripping hexes before (unless you count the wimpy Traxxas wheels) I really don't want to glue the hexes in, but maybe I don't have a choice until I can afford some Ericson beadlocks.
Since you are driving a Wheely King I recommend using the cast aluminum hexes from the MT2ss kits. They bite into the material and hold the wheel super tight and you should not have any issues.

Here is the link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJYM5&P=7

Thanks,
Axial
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have the same problem and am using the same hexes and aluminum washers as you recomended. I have also tightened the wheels pretty tight, any tighter and they'll most likely break. I have called you guys too and they replied that it was the first they have heard of this.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Those hexes are cheap enough, I'll give them a shot.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
R.I.P. Chip

Like Brian said a little CA will solve the problem.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The aluminum hexes help, but the root of the problem appears to be, honestly, that there just isn't enough beef around the hex area of the wheels. I was checking this out when I got the rocksters for my wk, and determined that my first upgrade for my AX-10 will be some bomb proof beadlocks - so I ordered two sets when I picked up the new ones for my WK - result - I'll be selling the rocksters that come in the AX-10 kit most likely, unless I decide to use them on something that isn't a crawler. They'll likely do fine there, they just aren't going to stand up to crawler abuse.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
R.I.P. Chip

And what did you get for "Bulletproof" beadlocks?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #20

i had to glue the hexes onto the axial wheels in order for me to enjoy crawling..i have another set of the axial beadlock wheels,i'm gonna try adding the washer and making the wheel nuts really tight.
TrailMaster671 is offline   Reply With Quote