Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Cheap Wheel Hex Fix...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Cheap Wheel Hex Fix...

Well I took Leeroy out today...Just to get pissed off at the Stupid plastic Hex's that come with the CVD's...Stripped another one. Thats 5 now. I'm going to Do Mnsters 14mm hex mod and make my 2.2 14mm's...How do you ask?

Well I have Cheap 5 dollar wheels.... The hex on the wheels as bowed out and rounded. So that didn't help the axle Hex's either.
I got the idea of RD400's Clod beadlocks. I'll still use the cheap 2.2 Pede wheels but it will be 3pcs design when done. The inner ring will have the new hex and be 1/4in thick. It will also have 3 mounting holes in it. The outer ring won't be as thick. It will have 3 mounting holes and the center cut out for the wheel nut. The two rings will sandwich the Pede wheel. I will have to cut out the old hex off the Pede Wheel, but isn't an issue and dremel can't fix. With this mod I shouldn't have any more issues with the Hex's. The rings should cost that much to get cut out. If it works out like I plan. I might offer these as a new product. But can have them made in 12mm also.

This might not work every wheel. I'm using these.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXJF49&P=K

The out part of the wheel is pretty flat and should make a nice fit.
Attached Images

Last edited by run2jeepn; 04-30-2007 at 03:59 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds interesting....let's see some pics when you're done.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Just dropped off the wheel and Hex today..I'll post some pic's and how much it cost to get done. My 2.2 is down till they get done.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Are you stripping out the hex cuz of play in the hex? I noticed when i mount my nylint wheels with the adapter hex, there's the slightest hint of play in there, very very small but it's there. I'm afraid that looseness will strip the hex. I was thinking of taking out the adapter hex and then tossing in some jb weld around the inside of the hex and then installing the adapter. Once it cures, the adapter hex should be permanently mounted and a little stronger?
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Just got the word these are done. I'm picking them up first thing in the morning. I'm justing getting charged the time to cut and not materials....Sweet....
Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well I got them today...I have to take and have them redo the inner rings. They cut the 14mm hex to big. I have no Clue way he asked to have the Hex if they weren't going to make it fit.... Ohwell...They should fix it for free...My guy I have always gone to left and took a better job offer. So I'm dealing with a new guy. This new guy doesn't know 1/4 of what my old guy knew. Plus is doesn't charge me the same. These came out alot more then I thought. $40 bucks to have these made. So $10 bucks a wheel to upgrade to these. Still not bad. I don't have to cut the tires off and buy new wheels. So all in all still glad I did these. I haven't gotten them up and mounted b/c I'm taking The inner rings and my 14mm hex back to have redone.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

When I get them back I will show whats needed to mount these and see if he can cut me a deal on these so I can sell these. I will also post the weight difference before and after.
Why do these?

*These would be a good choice to someone who doesn't want to remove there tires byt cutting/boiling or what ever.

*This would also be a good choice if you want to change the Hex on your wheels without adaptors.

*Maybe you took alot of time setting up your foam/BB's/ Airsoft or what ever and you don't want to go throught that again.

*You stripped you Hex's and don't want to buy new wheels that might just strip out again.

*You just like BEEFY Parts

*You stripped you Hex's. You don't want to take the chance of messing you tires when taking them off. I know I'd hate to trash a set of Jordans just b/c I stripped a Hex and had to change wheels.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Got them all done. All I can say is BEEFY... Saved me from cutting and maybe ruinning 100 dollar tires. These added about 1oz per tire of weight. I also did Mnster LST2 14mm Mod on my TTR CVD's. Best thing I have done for sometime...I shouldn't have anymore stripped Hex's. I'm guessing the gears are next. Give me a reason to bump up to Alumn gears.

When doing the 14mm Mod. I also gainned back about 1/4in Less Track width. So now the CVD's only widened the track width 1/4in. another bonus....

Now added the Old Rock Rings back and you can't even tell.