Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Advice on these tyres please ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Advice on these tyres please ?

Hello all, looking for a cheapish set of tyres for my 1st crawling/bashing project & just been offered a set of these my LHS took with a part built clod in p/x (iv already had the complete axles, lucky for me thats how i got started on this project). I cant post a pic of my own as i dont have them yet but i do know there the same as these:-

http://www.e-customconnect.com/InetR...ngeClod_08.jpg

I dont even know what make they are (neither do lhs, crawling/clods arn't big over here in UK), i just know from what iv been told they seem fairly hard compound, in good condition & cheap !! someone on another forum suggested they may be discontinued Duratrax V-spikes? I believe there designed for stock clod rims but if anyone is running or has run these tyres and has views good/bad/ugly then id be happy to hear them...

Also does this tread style suit well to narrowed wheels ? from what iv read about wheel narrowing & the reasons for it, it would seem mounting these on narrowed rims should give me more tread on the side of the tyre ? does that sound right to you guys in the know ?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Andy
Andyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Those do appear to be the Duratrax tires, I don't know of anyone that has tried crawling with them but I'm sure somone will sound off if they have.

I would say that if this is a budget build then go ahead and try them. What would it hurt? Especially if they are cheap.

If your budget allows or you dont feel like experimenting with your money, go for new tires like Moabs, Imex JumboMaxx Swamp Dawgs, or LST's and get some adapters.

Welcome to the board.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #3

Cheers

Im not on a really tight budget, im just trying to spend the cash i have right now to get it rolling with best chassis and other bits i can, i'll worry about the "perfect" tyres once iv got it running and i know where it gets the most use ...... i just want to check these arn't useless before i get them, and if i do wether narrowed rims would get even more out of them......

Nice to be onboard
Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
2006 2.2 National Champ

From what I've seen, narrowing the rims is always a good thing.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I ran a set of these on a clod project a few years ago, and HATED them!!! They were rock hard, and offered very little.....Just my opinion, I'd save my money and go with something with a softer compound!!!

Rock On!!
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the input..... i really want to keep BIG tyres on here no matter what, all the pics of crawlers iv seen with "normal" maxx size tyres look a little odd IMO, so im thinking either Moabs on 40's or maybe some Imex jumbomaxx's..... any opinions between those 2 anyone ?

Cheers

Andy
Old 03-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyuk
Thanks for the input..... i really want to keep BIG tyres on here no matter what, all the pics of crawlers iv seen with "normal" maxx size tyres look a little odd IMO, so im thinking either Moabs on 40's or maybe some Imex jumbomaxx's..... any opinions between those 2 anyone ?

Cheers

Andy

Moabs on 40's are the way to go.
a_vdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a set of those Duratrax Spike tires. I haven't run them yet because I am withouy rims for them. But they are really hard. I would suspect they would be better for sand or something similar.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr_tung_devl
I ran a set of these on a clod project a few years ago, and HATED them!!! They were rock hard, and offered very little.....Just my opinion, I'd save my money and go with something with a softer compound!!!

Rock On!!

You can always soften the tires with simple green.... Just my .5-0 cents
PastryLikeDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

I'd just go for the Moab's, you'll be much happier. That's what I run and I have NO complaints.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyuk
so im thinking either Moabs on 40's or maybe some Imex jumbomaxx's..... any opinions between those 2 anyone ?

Cheers

Andy
I still love my JumboMaxx SwampDawgs, they are a great tire.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I like my BFTs, the moabs just aren't aggresive enough it seems?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

What are the dimentions of your truck? (Wheelbase, Belly Clearance, etc...)
I know you said this was for a Clod, but I would say depending on the specs for your truck that might help with your decision.

If you have a very low COG then definately go with the MOAB's on narrowed rims. But the JumboMAXX Swamp Dawgs are a nice heavytire. They would help a lot if your truck sits up a litle bit more. I haven't tried them on my Clod yet. But I will after I get some adapters.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
I like my BFTs, the moabs just aren't aggresive enough it seems?
Moabs tend to be good on flat rock, they don't do as well on jagged stuff, but they're still better than most.

i love my moabs.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #15

Cheers again guys, my Gecko 2 is on order so that should give you some idea of length etc... its going to be set up 80% crawler, 20% basher, im going with MM motors or similar just to give me some turn of speed when i need it, i like the look of Moabs on 40's but i must admit Jumbomaxx claw dawgs would be my 1st choice on looks alone..... my only worry with any jumbomaxx tyres/wheels is how much stress are they putting on the clod axles/drivetrain with all that weight hung on the end of a wheel-widener/maxx adaptor & running through relativly small 14mm maxx hexes ?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1sstang
If you have a very low COG then definately go with the MOAB's on narrowed rims. But the JumboMAXX Swamp Dawgs are a nice heavytire. They would help a lot if your truck sits up a litle bit more. I haven't tried them on my Clod yet. But I will after I get some adapters.
I weighed my JumboMaxx Swamp Dawgs on RPM stableMaxx wheels and Big Joe's (roughly eqivalent to Moabs) on Velocity 6 wheels.
The JSD's weighed 13 oz and the Joe's weighed 14 oz. Considering error in my scale they are essantially the same weight.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
I weighed my JumboMaxx Swamp Dawgs on RPM stableMaxx wheels and Big Joe's (roughly eqivalent to Moabs) on Velocity 6 wheels.
The JSD's weighed 13 oz and the Joe's weighed 14 oz. Considering error in my scale they are essantially the same weight.
I didn't actually weigh my tires, but they feel much heavier than my Big Joes.
But I also have My JSD's on Jumbomaxx rims not regular Maxx Rims. I know the Jumbomaxx rims weigh more than STD maxx rims. And I also have the faoms still in the JSD's (not that foam weighs that much)

I will have to take them to work now and weigh them up.

I know out of the 50+ tires I own, my JSD's are the heaviest !
Old 04-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Go with the Moab's. They have yet to let me down against my brother's cut BFT's .
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

haha bring it on camel my tlt is gettin a bulu 2 muhahahaha
VMGcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote