Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Mashers foam: how narrow to cut?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Mashers foam: how narrow to cut?

nuf said! got em starred already
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Don't bother cutting them, just buy the Kreepy Squishy Ruby Red inserts. Read the reports on them, you won't be disappointed.

If your are determined to use the proline foam, and you've already star cut them, I wouldn't narrow them at all. The star cut takes away most of the integrity of the foam, so you will probably want to keep it full width to give sidewall support for sidehilling.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ok so I didn't mention it but I already cut em in half. should I just stick both halves in or glue em back together? Yeah I know, woops! oh well live and learn
BTW I wanted to add 1 oz in the fronts (already have 3oz in sticky weights on wheel so no more room there)with shot, but won't the foam get in the way? Maybe glue them to the weights? just brainstormin'. Any ideas? Thanks tons in advance!

Last edited by solomon7; 08-16-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

+1 on the Kreepy Skwishy inserts
landy_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I want the Kreepies. Just can't afford them right now;Jeep issues.What about the foams though. Any thoughts?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm in the same boat. Want new foams but the stock ones are all I have right now. And I star-cut them before I was told not to. I did run them full width for awhile but even with 3oz of weight per tire they were pretty stiff. The pic below is with the foams cut to the width of the wheel. This is a close up of it sitting on a cement slab. The tire rolls but I personally like it better than full width. More pics here: CrawlMaster... Mamba... R2... K2-3L... 2.2 Build
Attached Images

Mr_Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
'08 2.2 National Champ

Trinity race foam, they are short, give just enough added sidewall support, and let bb's or lead weight roll around well. I did narrow mine a bit too.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I actually picked up a paor of trinity med foams on the same trip as you but they seem to be not short enough and too stiff.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

They should be roughly the width of the tire carcass when it is on the wheel. I usually mount a tire on a wheel and cut foams to the outer width of the tire. I wouldn't trip about the star pattern now and put in both sides without gluing.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

If you want to glue the foams back together, get some spray adhesive. It works pretty well.

They may be a little stiff at first, but the proline foam is pretty cheap, and will start to break down with use.

If you want to run a higher quality foam, such as the Trinity foams, you need to get the ones made for 1:10 scale stadium trucks, such as a XXX-T, or the Associated T-4. That will leave a slight air gap between the foam and the tire.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
They should be roughly the width of the tire carcass when it is on the wheel. I usually mount a tire on a wheel and cut foams to the outer width of the tire. I wouldn't trip about the star pattern now and put in both sides without gluing.
do you mean the tread width or very outer edge of tire when viewed from the front of the rig(the sidewall bulge)? It looks like they are already the same width as the tire tread and a hair over. Leave 'em?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

They sound good to me. I say run them as is. The foam will compress and over time will become softer as they wear in. It sounds like we all will be switching to memory foams in the not too distant future anyway.
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote