Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: brazing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default brazing

Ok I was at lower the other day and stumbled across Lincoln Electric coated brazing rod. I bought 1 lb. of 1/8 rod in hopes that I could use it to build a tuber it reads

Application: Flux coated bronze is general purpose copper-based brazing alloy rod used extensively for gas brazing steel, other copper alloys, cast iron, nickel alloys, and stainless steel.

I have a bernzomatic propane torche and was wondering if I'll be able to use the propane torche to get it hot enough. Also does it sound like I got the right rod for 3/16 brakeline?

Thanks for your help guy
Justin
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

1/8" seems kinda big, I have some brazing rod (coated) that I bought for another project that I tried on brake tubing, It didn't seem to work all that good. I ended up going to a welding supply store and getting the Harris safety silver 56 and flux. Trust me this stuff is worth the $36 I spent on it. When your brazing a couple pieces together that are just sitting there, you don't want to have to mess are waiting for stuff to happen, with the harris stuff just heat it up, touch the stuff to it and it flows like warm butter and your done. Makes like alot easier.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Brazing

I hope you paid $36.00 for 3 troy ounces and not one. Safety silve 45 is a great product. The flow rate and molten point is low and will not warp your metal. safety silv 45T is even better cause it's molten point is around 1100 deg. where every other is around 1400-1500 deg. 1/8 is way to big, and your going to have to get it so hot that your metal will fatigue. If you need pricing or anything just email me and I will help you out.

Thanks, Nick Garner
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I also recommend the white paste flux, it's for low temp brazing. If you get any hotter you will want the black flux!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Also, ditch the propane torch. You need a lot more heat. Go with MAPP gas instead.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote