Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: A more concentrated flame?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default A more concentrated flame?

I have been building my tubers with the standard mapp gas torch. I find myself always wishing the flame was smaller and more pinpoint. Is there a different nozzle or torch head that I can buy that will give me a more concentrated flame?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
I have been building my tubers with the standard mapp gas torch. I find myself always wishing the flame was smaller and more pinpoint. Is there a different nozzle or torch head that I can buy that will give me a more concentrated flame?
is there a specific reason why you want a smaller flame?

to answer your question... you will be looking at maybe a jewelers torch setup for a more precise flame. nothing that I know of that you can mount directly onto a MAPP or propane bottle.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I think the oxygen/mapp setups come with a smaller tip. I don't think you can get one just for mapp gas.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

acording to bernzomatic there is a self ignighting torch that has a more concentrated flame or "more effeciant" flame. I haven't seen it or tried it. Check their sight for more info.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
acording to bernzomatic there is a self ignighting torch that has a more concentrated flame or "more effeciant" flame. I haven't seen it or tried it. Check their sight for more info.
just looked at it... basically it is a the standard mapp head, with an adjustable flame and a little more efficient nozzle. might be what you are looking for.

if my head ever goes out I will pick one up.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

turbo torch has a system that most plumbers use for soldering copper.it uses inter change able tips.....i thik the smallest is roughly 1/4" only problem is the initial cost for the basic torch is roughly 170 bucks, and the tips are about 170 each.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #7

i was at home depot today getting my mapp gas setup to build my first tuber rig and they had a single inlet jewlers torch type set up similar to the bernzomatic oxy/mapp set up this might be what your looking for it was somewhere around thirty bucks
ricksz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksz71 View Post
i was at home depot today getting my mapp gas setup to build my first tuber rig and they had a single inlet jewlers torch type set up similar to the bernzomatic oxy/mapp set up this might be what your looking for it was somewhere around thirty bucks
For sodering the more pinpoint Bernzomatic works ok for brazing not so good...takes too long to get the parts hot enough. The oxy mapp set up works real well for brazing, except the oxygen runs out real fast. It would take me like five canisters of oxygen to a tuber.
Hope this helped
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

All I can say is if ya go with the Bernzomatic(sp?) mapp/oxy torch....
Go and get you the Oxy bottle at Harbor Frieght, get it filled at your local welding supply. It'll cost about the same as what you'll spend on the little bottles from Home Depot but, you get alot more "GAS" for the money.That's what I'll be doing here real soon.
I hate it when things start to come together then...........No OXY left in the tank and all the stores that carry it are closed. That's what happened to me this weekend. Now I have to wait till this weekend to finish my Tuber.
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote