Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Best way to do suspension links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #1

Default Best way to do suspension links?

I have a Nylint 1:18 that i'm foolin' with until I get my 1:1 on its new axles ( that is tying up any spare funds right now). afterwards i'd like to build either a rough scaler of my 1:1 or a tube buggy. anyway, i need to 4 link the rear of the nylint due to excessive play in the current suspension. so i'm wondering what the best method is.

i know i can buy premade links. i'm fine with that, where's the best place to get them and what should i look for?

or would it be cheaper to make some links? what materials should i use and where should i get rod ends?

if theres already a great post on this subject that is applicable to my smaller-than-typical application someone please post a link for me. thanks
cj104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #2

Default Cheep links made easy

What I learned about making links I learned on HPI's site. They have a phase 1 Wheely King build. I found the alum tube and 440 allthread at Lowes or Home Depot. The rod ends at LHS. Good Luck
turner3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rccrawler.com/tech.htm look towards the bottom of the list of tech items
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #4

i'll check to see if any hobby shops in my area carry that small of ends. if so then i think that'll work perfectly. thanks fellas
cj104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If your hobby shop doesn't carry Maxx rod ends, you need a different hobby shop!

I personally use 6-32 allthread, aluminum sleeve, and Maxx rod ends. The 6-32 allthread is a bit stronger and fits well in the rod ends once they've been drilled out slightly.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #6

thats not really difficult to do... get some rod end from traxxas an alluminium tube and you can do something nice for cheap
p2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've used 4-40 allthread with aluminum tube and found that it can be bent pretty easily. So now I will only use stainless steel tubing over my allthread. It's a little more expensive, but it's a lot stronger and IMO it looks better. I get mine at the LHS.
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

get 440 fully threaded rod from home depot or lowes, you could get it at the hobby shop but its more expensive and it comes with less lenght, next get some alluminum tubing as said in above post's to sleeve the rod and get your self some traxxas stampede rod ends and your good thats all youll need for a nylint
luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj104 View Post
I have a Nylint 1:18 that i'm foolin' with until I get my 1:1 on its new axles ( that is tying up any spare funds right now). afterwards i'd like to build either a rough scaler of my 1:1 or a tube buggy. anyway, i need to 4 link the rear of the nylint due to excessive play in the current suspension. so i'm wondering what the best method is.

i know i can buy premade links. i'm fine with that, where's the best place to get them and what should i look for?

or would it be cheaper to make some links? what materials should i use and where should i get rod ends?

if theres already a great post on this subject that is applicable to my smaller-than-typical application someone please post a link for me. thanks
i used 4-40 allthread with 3/16 brake line its like 5 bucks for 5 feet at most automotive part stores, and its super tuff, they fit together perfect.
BIGROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ok I see. Wat about length. How long do u need to go. Does it depend on rig.
Need to be concerned with Axle angle etc.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote