Notices

Thread: dremel workstation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default dremel workstation

do any of you guys have the dremel work station:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachme...=69679&I=69727

i was looking into maybe getting one, but i was wondering from the people that already have one, do i HAVE to use an actual Dremel brand rotary tool in it? or can i use one of the generic rotary tools that you get from like harbor freight or sam's club in the big 250 piece sets?

or, are the 400 series dremels that good that they are worth paying the extra bit of cash for one?
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #2

I was looking at the newest dremels to compare them to my older (like, 1992 or something) dremel. There was a 400XPR and then a smaller, maybe 300 series one that was 20-30 bucks cheaper. From what I could tell the main difference is the 400 has a fraction more power (.25 - .5 amps) and can take the special accessories that screw onto the end. I wouldn't say the 400 series is all that special.

Both costco and home depot are pretty lenient about returns, why not give it a try
tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well...I just love Dremels. I have two...a really old corded one and a cordless Lithium model 800. The Lithium model is awesome. Just as powerful as the older one -- if not more powerful and it's cordless. Definitely worth it if you use it a lot -- or get it as a gift! I also have the workstation. It's pretty nice and both fit. I think so long as the threads on the non-Dremel brand models is the same you'll be fine.

- Chris
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I bought the Dremel WorkStation about 2 weeks ago.

I would say the limit for it is wood or plastic. It simply isn't sturdy enough for metal.

I have made a few nice skid plates using a Tungsten Carbide Cutter and a Dremel 300 clamped into the WorkStation. Also added a straight edge on the platform of mine so it will cut perfect lines.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

My workstation is pretty darn sturdy considering all the plastic used in its construction. I actually use it as a makeshift arbor press for securing eyelets to kydex sheaths. Maybe I just got a good one...or you a bad one...or their QC is spotty...

- Chris
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Is it just a tiny drill press or does it have other function?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Is it just a tiny drill press or does it have other function?
I thought the purpose was to act as a drill press. Although it sounds like others are using it as a mill too, except they move the work piece rather than the table?

It seems like the dremel router table would work better for that sort of work (slot cutting, grooving, etc) than this thing. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do thin metal on the router table with the proper bit.
tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yes I use mine as a mini-"mill" for chunks of plastic.

Its certainly not Top line perfection, but it will do pretty good cuts just working the piece by hand....running it down a straight edge in my case. Can't work it too fast though or you will get bit 'hop'.
The shorter the bit, the better it is for cutting as it allows less wobble.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I might have to get one of those.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #10

check with Lowe's, my local store has clearanced them or at least cut the price $10. I like mine a lot for what it is. Also, the lithium Dremel, be VERY careful on how much pressure you apply. If you load it too much, it will kill the board. I have toasted 2 of them, and believe it or not, the last one was done drilling out the post on a "Tech Deck" mini skateboard trucks for my son...Yeah, those tiny tech decks, not some large board hardware...I was floored! I was even using good bits...
imagesinvinyl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagesinvinyl1 View Post
check with Lowe's, my local store has clearanced them or at least cut the price $10. I like mine a lot for what it is. Also, the lithium Dremel, be VERY careful on how much pressure you apply. If you load it too much, it will kill the board. I have toasted 2 of them, and believe it or not, the last one was done drilling out the post on a "Tech Deck" mini skateboard trucks for my son...Yeah, those tiny tech decks, not some large board hardware...I was floored! I was even using good bits...

Really? Mine stalls it when there is too much load and always works just fine afterwards.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #12

I have a dremel drill press aswell and its good for small stuff but for any heavy work I still use my 10" drill press. WHen I built my maxx frame most of it was constructed witht he big press as the dremel just didnt have the grunt or the quick change bit ease.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote