Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Great Air Compressor for Hobby Use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Great Air Compressor for Hobby Use

Recently picked this up, and for only $98 its a great little compressor. It has a built in regulator, and dual outs. Also it's oil lubricated, so it will last for years. Its not all that loud either.

Should be cool to have air at comps.

Here is a link.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...air+compressor

Here is a picture.

It comes with a little 17pc. accessory set with some fittings, and a blow gun.

Figured I would give some people a heads up if they are looking for a small air compressor.

Last edited by Shaun; 03-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

SPEND THE EXTRA $ AND GET THIS ONE

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Air+Tools
MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW View Post
Naw, I looked at that one, and it wasn't near as nice as the 2 gal, if I need more air I can use our 80 gallon in the shop, I got this, because it was small and easy to take to comps. Also, the main reason I purchased this was to run my airbrushes off of, and to run a small detail gun.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You DO NOT want an oil lubricated compressor for painting. Oil lubricated compressors have blow-by that allow oil to get past the rings and into the compressed air. That's not to say that you can't use them, you just need to add the appropriate filters to trap any oil. I have oil-less compressors for painting and lubricated ones for the tools. Live Movin- Slooow said, spend the extra money you will be happier in the end.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
You DO NOT want an oil lubricated compressor for painting. Oil lubricated compressors have blow-by that allow oil to get past the rings and into the compressed air. That's not to say that you can't use them, you just need to add the appropriate filters to trap any oil. I have oil-less compressors for painting and lubricated ones for the tools. Live Movin- Slooow said, spend the extra money you will be happier in the end.

Yup, I run a oil separator. A buddy helped me pick it out, and he has been painting for 20+ years, and owns his own body shop. He knows what he is doing. He said even for painting you don't want a oil-less compressor, its just better to spend the extra money for a oil lubricated compressor, and the $30 for a oil-separator.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

It does not matter what type of compressor you run you should use a water seperator at the compressor and a filter at the airbrush or paint gun. I personally will not use an oilless had a crapsman for 10 years and the sound of the oilless drove me nut's but i also do autobody so it ran alot. You can get the filters at the autobody store for 2-5 bucks and that will catch anything that might be in your hose.

Last edited by CConROCKS!; 03-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConROCKS! View Post
It does not matter what type of compressor you run you should use a water seperator at the compressor and a filter at the airbrush or paint gun. I personally will not use an oilless had a crapsman for 10 years and the sound of the oilless drove me nut's but i also do autobody so it ran alot. You can get the filters at the autobody store for 2-5 bucks and that will catch anything that might be in your hose.

I run the Iwata pistol grip filter on my air brush, and a water trap on my compressor. I haven't picked up a detail gun yet.

When you say you hate the sound of the oil less compressor, do you mean that they are louder? I guess I have never actually heard a oil-less compressor, all that we have had are oil lube compressors, because my dad claims the oil-less is crap.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

oil-less is crap.

ding ding ding
MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

oil less-diaphragm compressor are buzzy, it's a different higher pitched tone. My 60gal craftsman pro is pretty quite compared to other 60 gal,either oil less or oil,except for the snap on's, those are the quietest I know of, not sure who makes it for them?
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW View Post
oil-less is crap.

ding ding ding
They are ?????????? I beg to differ.

I know of oil-less compressors that have had 25+ year service lives. They have been lucky to have had thier intake filters changed once a year, stuffed under cabinets, put in small/hot closed rooms and still providing -25 degree dew point air. There are oil-less compressors out there that you can carry on a normal conservation standing next to one running. I have seen lubricated compressors give out after 10 years even with yearly maintanence provided.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #11

I got the 2 gallon as a damaged package from a 3rd party for 40 bucks, Its good to have friends in liquidation lol.
MCNorris is offline   Reply With Quote