Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: cad software for mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question cad software for mac

i have a mas osx and would like to find some cheap or free CAD software that will work to design my own parts. im doubting there is anything, but just thought i should try. thanks for your help, max
KILLER KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you get the program parallels it lets you run windows. Not sure if this helps but thought i'd throw it out there. Here's the link http://www.parallels.com/
ncalkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #3

Default Do not get!!

Well, I was looking for a good 3d cad software and ended up looking at paying for one. I eneded up getting punchcad Shark FX. Expensive but I found a %20 off coupon while searching online.

Due to the whole shipping issues overseas (afghanistan) I went with the download version. They said they would email the codes to register it at the same time. Well long story short their customer service SUCKS A$$. I emailed then asking for the codes for two days and then had to call them from afghanistan. When I did I asked for a refund and they said they do not do refunds on that product. NO WHERE IS THEIR REFUND POLICY WRITTEN except on a FAQ forum. Wll I went to the BBB (Better Business Beauro) They offered 15% off the purchase price. That was all I could do.

Now I am telling everyone NOT TO PURCHASE their products!!!!!

Unfortunatly I have no knowledge of good free mac cad software.
rich2871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you've got an Intel Mac (all new models for the past 3 years or so are Intel-based) rather than a PPC Mac, you can load and boot Windows XP SP2 or SP3 using Bootcamp.
Bootcamp is standard with OSX Leopard, an optional download for OSX Tiger.

Intel Macs are basically the same as PCs, they just use EFI rather than BIOS.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

http://sketchup.google.com/download/gsu.html

Available for Mac or Windows - totally free - very powerful (look at the 3D warehouse) - easy to use - plus, you can add free rendering and make some phenomenal stuff.
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'll second Google Sketchup. I have it on my MacBook and have played with it some, but not much because I'm spoiled and have SolidWorks from work. Whenever I actually want to design something I just bust out the work craptop and go to town.

I'll also second Parallels if you have a Windows program you want to use. I have it as well and use it to run my Bootcamp XP installation from inside OSX. Haven't used it with any CAD software, but it works great for everything else I've done with it.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485 View Post
I'll also second Parallels if you have a Windows program you want to use. I have it as well and use it to run my Bootcamp XP installation from inside OSX. Haven't used it with any CAD software, but it works great for everything else I've done with it.
I also run Parallels on my Mac, but I run it side by side w/Leopard. Kinda amazing that Windows runs sooo much smoother on a MAC with a MAC OS running in the background. . Also I can still use my Castle CastleLink via Parallels.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Slightly off topic, but since we're talking about Parallels...is anyone running the new version, with Coherence? I have an older version from a couple of years ago and just run Windows as an application inside OS X, but the idea of being able to run Windows applications directly in OS X as if they were Mac applications almost makes me want to shell out the cash to upgrade. Is it as good as it sounds???
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Rhinoceros just released a beta mac oxs version a little bit ago that is free for testing until the final version is released. I have played with it a little bit, and it is pretty good. I believe the full version is around $1000, and $200 for students.
sbarnesvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i'll agree with the guys who suggested sketchup. it's free, pretty easy to learn, and you can do some pretty awesome things with it.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote