Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Vermont American Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vermont American Tools

Hey fellow RCers, I wanted to share with you a quick story about Vermont American's excellent customer service and their lifetime warranty.
I bought a Craftsman 4-40 tap knowing you get what you pay for when it comes to tools. I used it on my custom crawler tapping 1/4" aluminum. When the expected happens, it broke off ruining the part I just made. I knew of the craftsman warranty but didn't think it would apply to this type of tool. Turns out I was right, the local sears wouldn't warranty it, didn't matter they didn't have a replacement anyways. They even had the nerve to tell me I was using it wrong when they didn't even know what the broken tool was. So I went across the street to Lowes. They had Vermont American Tap and Drill sets about 25% cheaper than the tap alone at sears. So I bought 2 thinking they wouldn't last half as long. Turns out I was very wrong. I almost finished the truck with the first tap. It broke because I was extremely tired and was trying to finish one last part. Oh well I had a spare. I got to reading about the warranty and decided to email Vermont American about it. They replied in about a day. Said they were sorry it broke and asked for the model number. I replied back and in a day or two they replied and said I should have a replacement in 4-5 business days. No questions asked other than what model number. Didn't tell me I was using it wrong or anything. I went back to Lowes and checked, all of the vermont american tools they had have the lifetime warranty on the package. So if anyone wants a great tool with an even better warranty, I recommend the vermont american line.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Vermont makes great tools.
Now If I could stop losing them under houses.
lol HVAC Plumber by trade
Emaxximuss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i like that fact that the craftsman people are stupid, i csn usually trick them into giving he the nicer version, but it is still a pain.

from experiance, cheeper tool companes who claim a full warentee will sometimes replace the tool for you, but only if you pay shipping.
cvecmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
Ace
Rock Crawler

I've never seen a tap at sears worth having. Good taps are HSS (high speed steel) Carbon steel is almost useless. If the package doesn't say HSS stay away.

I would certianly agree that Vermont is a step up and probably one of the better "locally" available taps.

However, breaking off taps in a piece I've spent 4 hours working on isn't something I enjoy so I've stopped using anything but spiral point taps. They really aren't that expensive and I haven't broken a tap off in my work since I've started using them.

Below are pics of a spiral point and a regular hand tap. The spiral point is typically two flute and the hand taps 3 or 4 flutes. The two flue design makes the tap much stronger.

I've used extremely good quality spiral point taps (OSG) that literally cut threads with less torque than screwing the screw in the hole required...

The main thing when tapping is starting the tap square to the hole. I always tap in a drill press, mill or using an alignment block. I made my alignment block by drilling some holes just bigger than the tap threads. You put the tap in the hold with the block sitting on the work and tap away. Can't get the tap off square if you try.
Attached Images

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
I've never seen a tap at sears worth having. Good taps are HSS (high speed steel) Carbon steel is almost useless. If the package doesn't say HSS stay away.

I would certianly agree that Vermont is a step up and probably one of the better "locally" available taps.

However, breaking off taps in a piece I've spent 4 hours working on isn't something I enjoy so I've stopped using anything but spiral point taps. They really aren't that expensive and I haven't broken a tap off in my work since I've started using them.

Below are pics of a spiral point and a regular hand tap. The spiral point is typically two flute and the hand taps 3 or 4 flutes. The two flue design makes the tap much stronger.

I've used extremely good quality spiral point taps (OSG) that literally cut threads with less torque than screwing the screw in the hole required...

The main thing when tapping is starting the tap square to the hole. I always tap in a drill press, mill or using an alignment block. I made my alignment block by drilling some holes just bigger than the tap threads. You put the tap in the hold with the block sitting on the work and tap away. Can't get the tap off square if you try.
Where'd you pick those up Ace?
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Ace
Rock Crawler

gotta order 'em around here.

www.use-enco.com is where I get 90% of 'em.

They have a "HotDeals" catalog on the website, usually some good deals in there.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Like Ace said, HSS Spiral Taps are the only ones worth buying.

For Aluminum, I use what they call Fast Spiral 2-Flute Taps.
They can really move the long stringy Aluminum chips out of the hole.

To avoid Tap breakage, I replace the drill bit (assuming this is in a lathe or mill/drill press) immediately after drilling the hole & replace it with a Tap Guide. The guide comes with both a pointed & concaved point to keep the Tap centered. This keeps my Tap exactly in line with the hole. For tapping holes that I have hand drilled, I also use alignment blocks to keep the Tap vertical like Ace mentioned above.

Happy Tapping.
Attached Images

BultacoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

MSC inustrial supply is also a good source. www.mscdirect.com
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
MWRCA'er

I used some cheap Harbor Freight taps. I then stopped by my local Fastenal store and picked up one of the HSS 2 flute taps it was $6 for a single 3mm tap. But man what a difference :-P it cuts just awesome threads, easier to turn, much smoother.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote