Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: ABS plastic rod stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default ABS plastic rod stock?

anyone know where i can buy ABS solid rod? somewhere between 3/16" and 1/8" dia.

havent had much luck :(
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Try gettin some delrin.unless you're secifically looking for abs.delrin slides better on rocks.try mcmaster carr.its a tool catalog.I hear they have a good selection of delrin stock.shipping is fairly priced too.
Sicario666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicario666 View Post
Try gettin some delrin.unless you're secifically looking for abs.delrin slides better on rocks.try mcmaster carr.its a tool catalog.I hear they have a good selection of delrin stock.shipping is fairly priced too.
MCmaster has ABS rod, but not in the small diameter that Stang is looking for... and I'm sure there is a reason he's looking for ABS over delrin.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

here's some 1/8" Plastic Welding Rod:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...ookie%5Ftest=1

$12 for 1 170' coil, good for plastic welding, but it's probably not as rigid as you would want...

Plastruct has some of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDL77&P=FR

but they are square...

There are other plastic welding rods:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...283&sa=title#p

Those might work for you?

What are you needing ABS for? I'm sure there's a specific reason, but may another thermoplastic do the job?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

www.smallparts.com has abs rod I do believe.Well the smallest they have is 1/4"..

http://www.smallparts.com/ABS-Natura...AF&pf_rd_t=301
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicario666 View Post
yeah specifically need abs. mcmaster doesnt go small enough. thats the problem im running into.

yeah monkey you hit the nail on the head. plastic welding rod is the closest ive found
http://www.hejet.com/welding_rods.html

is it just pure ABS sticks?

yeah i need abs so that model glue and and bondene will melt/weld it. and its easily bendable (with heat) styrene would also work for my project, but at a much higher cost.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 09-30-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've got a little experience fabbing with ABS:

before:

After:

and

I used ABS for the whole project, just used bondo to fill in very tiny pinholes. I was researching plastic welding, and welding rods so I could do it, but I ended up using Oatey ABS cement. The ABS cement takes a little bit to dry, but it's actually the same material as the ABS, so it will create one bonded piece rather than just two glued together pieces. The bezel was ABS mixed with Polypropylene, but the PP content was low, and everything bonded well.

ABS is a great material to work with. It's easy to mold once it's warm, and bonds to quite a few plastics.

The rods are "pure" ABS, they are used with heat guns to "weld" plastics together, and you have to use the same material that the base is made from.

Are you making a plastic cage or rack? I might use some of these to re-do the brush guard on my big hummer build.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yeah a plastic role cage for looks. easily removable for running.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
yeah a plastic role cage for looks. easily removable for running.
That's what I thought...

You could use plastic clothes hangers, and just heat weld or solvent weld the seams together. I think they are made from PP, some may be made from PS or ABS though. Might be a thicker diameter than you want too...

Oh, I found the ABS welding rods at mcmaster:

1/8" - part number 7889A95, 189' roll for 15 bucks.
3/16" - part number 7889A97, 84' roll for same price (they are both 1 lb of abs...)

There's also polycarbonate, but you'd have to get PC solvent (or Goop) to join seams.

And also Nylon, Nylon 6/6 comes in 1/8" - Part #8541K12. pretty cheap at $0.33 per foot.

If it's just for looks, than almost any plastic will do the trick, you just have to get the right solvent or heat weld the seams for it to work. I might order up some of that ABS welding rod. My big hummer could use a few parts, and it would be easier to fabricate everything, impact resistant, etc. Interior roll cage, brush guard, etc.
It just won't get scale deductions for having metal parts...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Most static kits are made from abs. The sprues (part trees) that hold the parts are the diameter you are looking for. Great for making antennas too. Most kits are filthy cheap, build the kit and use the rod from the sprue for whatever.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote