Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Can you bend Delrin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Can you bend Delrin?

I was thinking maybe with a heat gun? Will it work? I have some 5/16 rod and I'd like to curve my links. Sorta like high clearance links.
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

seen it done, not sure how. heat gun sounds good.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I use a HEAT GUN......in a pinch I will use a butane mini torch.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Use a heat gun if possible.. ive melted delrin using a torch.. but can be done if careful.
adale4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used to run 5/16 bent links and they flex way to much. In some cases it worked in my favor but mostly unpredictable.
ncalkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

try boiling them then put them in a jig
AlphaQup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be going up to the shop tonight to do some experimenting. I have a adjustable heat gun, it can melt pvc no problem if you aren't careful. It should do the trick I think. I will try to make a jig so they all come out the same. ncalkrawler, when you found the 5/16 flexing, did you go to 3/8? That just seem'd too big for 1/10 scale.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be going up to the shop tonight to do some experimenting. I have a adjustable heat gun, it can melt pvc no problem if you aren't careful. It should do the trick I think. I will try to make a jig so they all come out the same. ncalkrawler, when you found the 5/16 flexing, did you go to 3/8? That just seem'd too big for 1/10 scale.

I make/sell a mixed material type of link. 1/4 Delrin sleeved over 4mm threaded steel rod. I then heat & bend it in a jig. It is VERY strong...no bending. Some guys like a little bend in their links...some like a VERY rigid link. I cater to that design choice.

One small word of advice....if you are heating delrin, use good ventilation.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I formerly worked at a plastics shop and we did not bend delrin. I was told it was because it was a thermoset and not a thermoplastic. So i wanted to chime in on this discussion I typed up this long reply stating you cannot bend delrin. After the post I did a little research and found out that Delrin is in fact a thermoplastic. Direct from Dupont's own website. Its melting point is 347F. Next i deleted my post and replaced it with this more informative one, enjoy. So yes you can and good luck. I would make sure to test on a few scraps first.

Last edited by King of Beers; 11-24-2009 at 07:41 AM.
King of Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
One small word of advice....if you are heating delrin, use good ventilation.
x2 on that. that smell stayed around for hours, even with the windows open and a fan running
low_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was thinking maybe with a heat gun? Will it work? I have some 5/16 rod and I'd like to curve my links. Sorta like high clearance links.
send a pm to Shon aka R2j on here. He really know his stuff when it comes to bending Delrin
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Gettin’ back on the horse

I bent some 3/16 delrin with a lighter, worked really well. sanded it and you could never tell I did it by hand.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I bent
we know! lol,,

i think Shon said he leaves his in the bender and heats it with a heat gun and leaves it in the bender til it cools,,i think he also said he only bends about half way at first then after it cools he finishes it
Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Since I put metal thru the middle of mine, I only have to heat it moderately...then bend....the steel holds the position while it cools.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Since I put metal thru the middle of mine, I only have to heat it moderately...then bend....the steel holds the position while it cools.
You are bending it with threaded rod all the way through, correct? Of course, thats what you said. So what are you actually bending the threaded rod/delrin with? Maybe a jig setup? Are they curved or angle bend?

I'm not going to my shop tonight, so I have some extra time to think about this. I was thinking just curved links this time without rod all the way through. Save that for the next set. I like to experiment. I was going to heat up short lengths with the heat gun, on a curved piece of metal. If they're side by side, when they cool, they should all have the same arch. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Thanks for the props Tom.

My links are made with 3/8" solid rod. The method that I use is a heat gun and a composite tubing bender. I only heat the rod where I want the bend and never overheat. Rotating the rod while applying heat. Remove the heat when you just start to see the rod getting shiny. Again don't overheat. Next I quickly insert it in the bender and bend well past desired degree, example, for a 30* bend I'll bend the rod to almost 90* and then apply a little more heat. Once again do not overheat. Remove heat and let cool for a few seconds, still holding the bend, then release and adjust to desired degree. I use a aluminum 30* link to get it close, it stays pliable for a little while so it can be adjusted, then install my rod ends and check for the correct length. Once I'm happy with the first one, I use it as a guide for the rest. That's what works best for me, I've made hundreds of links now and have no complaints or failure to date. What ever method that you decide to use, just take your time and don't overheat, it should never be a wet noodle.

Quote:
x2 on that. that smell stayed around for hours, even with the windows open and a fan running
Did you get it too hot? I've never had a problem with that at all. I barely get any smell when I bend mine. That would only occur when too much heat is applied and it starts to melt.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hey Shon,,you set the mark i just pass on what i know
Old 11-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
You are bending it with threaded rod all the way through, correct? Of course, thats what you said. So what are you actually bending the threaded rod/delrin with? Maybe a jig setup? Are they curved or angle bend?

I'm not going to my shop tonight, so I have some extra time to think about this. I was thinking just curved links this time without rod all the way through. Save that for the next set. I like to experiment. I was going to heat up short lengths with the heat gun, on a curved piece of metal. If they're side by side, when they cool, they should all have the same arch. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.
Yes....all the way thru the center of the delrin. I was just out in the garage making a set for a RCC Member running a shorter variant on a SCX10. I have a jig that I use....and like R2J, I only apply limited heat to the area being bent....when it just turns shiney...time to bend. The link is bolted into the jig before it is heated. The bends are consistant due to the jig. The bend is around a small metal cylinder that is bolted to the jig. Bend severity can be adjusted by swapping cylinders if that was a desired effect.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Thanks for the props Tom.

My links are made with 3/8" solid rod. The method that I use is a heat gun and a composite tubing bender. I only heat the rod where I want the bend and never overheat. Rotating the rod while applying heat. Remove the heat when you just start to see the rod getting shiny. Again don't overheat. Next I quickly insert it in the bender and bend well past desired degree, example, for a 30* bend I'll bend the rod to almost 90* and then apply a little more heat. Once again do not overheat. Remove heat and let cool for a few seconds, still holding the bend, then release and adjust to desired degree. I use a aluminum 30* link to get it close, it stays pliable for a little while so it can be adjusted, then install my rod ends and check for the correct length. Once I'm happy with the first one, I use it as a guide for the rest. That's what works best for me, I've made hundreds of links now and have no complaints or failure to date. What ever method that you decide to use, just take your time and don't overheat, it should never be a wet noodle.

Did you get it too hot? I've never had a problem with that at all. I barely get any smell when I bend mine. That would only occur when too much heat is applied and it starts to melt.

i dont think so, i used that same method that you described. it wasnt bad while i was in the room but i left the house and came back and thats when i noticed it
low_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Hence why I do the cutting/heating in the garage...with the door open. But if you really limit the heat, the smell is dramatically less. My wife is super sensitive to smells....and she does not complain about the delrin.