Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Can a VFD damage electronics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Can a VFD damage electronics?

I'm going to look at a bridgeport knockoff along with a metal lathe that operates on 220 3 phase. I only have 220 single phase. So the cheapest route is a VFD, which for those that don't know, can give me 3 phase power from single phase. Question is, can it damage the electronics of the mill & lathe?
sierradmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

not the motor. but if it is CNC I would separate those controls and go to a separate power source to run them..

The VFD gives a simulated power source out some control circuit stuff does not like that..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post
I'm going to look at a bridgeport knockoff along with a metal lathe that operates on 220 3 phase. I only have 220 single phase. So the cheapest route is a VFD, which for those that don't know, can give me 3 phase power from single phase. Question is, can it damage the electronics of the mill & lathe?

220 3 phase??? heard of 480/277V 3 phase...and 120/208V 3 phase....but never heard of 220 3 phase...a VFD (variable frequency drive) controls the speed of a high voltage motor, through low voltage controls..has nothing to do with changing the voltage from single phase to 3 phase, for that you need to go to the electrical company and they have to bring in 3 phase....or you pick up a transformer...we have two of them at the electrical shop I work for.

but I would also run the controls from a different power source..the lathe was made to run on three phase (or so you say) and hard telling what the controls run on..could be 12V or even 24V..they just go down to a contactor and tell the motor what to do.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post

It might work for you, but it's probably not the best idea. And I'm not sure it's the cheapest route, unless you already have one. It can damage some electronics, because it does not output a true sine wave. A rotary phase converter would probably work better:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3EDX3?Pid=search

Best bet would be to buy a machine that works with the power you have available. Second best bet, have an electrician/power company install the service required for the machine you want to buy. Just consider it part of the cost of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
a VFD (variable frequency drive) controls the speed of a high voltage motor, through low voltage controls..has nothing to do with changing the voltage from single phase to 3 phase

Yes it does. Many variable frequency drives can run a three phase high voltage motor from a single phase input. Take this datasheet for an Allen Bradley drive as an example:

http://www.ab.com/support/abdrives/160/datasheet.html

Last edited by toybuilder; 11-26-2009 at 12:51 AM.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

there is several different ways to make the 3phase setup work. heck there is a local hillbilly by me that has a another single phase motor hooked up to the 3phase motor it spin starts the 3 phase motor once its spinning it will run off single phase just fine.. there are the converter things mentioned.

I would just google running 3 phase motor from single phase and sort threw the bullshit and figure it out.. I would make it work if you dont have tech experience then you better walk away and buy the right tool for the job..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote