Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: tube wall thickness, what brazing rod to use and how much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default tube wall thickness, what brazing rod to use and how much

Well, I was wondering what you guys suggest for tubing thickness on 1/4 in tube and 3/16 tube.

Also I was wondering what brazing rod you use and how quick you go through like how many ounces to the frame safty-Silv56 is kinda pricey
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

and safety silv is the best way to go... use the safety silv 56 or 45( I use 45) and the matching white flux.. it is a bit more, but welllllllllllllllllllllllllll worth it.

I buy a 5 troy ounce of the safety silv 45 and it runs me like $40 and the flux is like $5 from my local welding shop.. 1 troy ounce is like $15.

I use it on 1/4" brakeline,3/16" brakeline, same sizes but solid rod, etc.etc. and it all holds. You just have to add different heat ( more or less) depending on what size/thickness your using

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 12-20-2005 at 06:58 PM.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
and safety silv is the best way to go... use the safety silv 56 or 45( I use 45) and the matching white flux.. it is a bit more, but welllllllllllllllllllllllllll worth it.
SUPER ditto Trust him, he knows what he's talking about. Even though I knew he was probably right, I had to find out for myself. Brazing goes SO much easier when you use this stuff. Don't buy any of that crap from HD, Lowe's, etc. Just get the little jar of stay-silv flux (I don't remember how many oz. off hand, but the jar is about 2.5" tall), and ask for 1 troy oz. of #45 brazing rod (actually wire, comes in a long roll inside a box). There are different sizes rod to choose from, but after trying both, I think 1/32" is the easiest to use.

This is probably one of the smallest quantities of rod/flux you can buy, and it will keep you building tubers for months, maybe years.

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

Thanks for the compliment Rich

you can see the flux in this pic ( you can see the rod off to the right also) and you can see the brazing rod in the next pic. That is what you want and need Everyone calls it brazing rod, but it actually isn't like a brazing rod you pick up at home depot. The stuff you get at home depot,lowes,etc. is for bigger stuff. It has a higher melting point before it starts to melt, but by that time, you done melted holes in your project or melted it away.

the rod in the pic is from a 5 troy ounce roll. I have built 2 tubers and axles with the same roll. if you are just starting out, you may use a bit more to get used to it. But once you get the hang of it, it is cake work. again, well worth the extra money

TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote