Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Small area workstations...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Small area workstations...Need ideas

So I searched and searched and couldn't find the info I am looking for.

I am moving soon into Milwaukee to a smallish apartment with the lady friend due to work. Not a whole lot of floor space/room available.

I am looking for ideas for a small workstation/table to work on the top surface, (general rebuilding, no fabrication) and storage either above or below. And the vehicles will be one or two crawlers, a slash, and one or two touring cars.

So, pictures or drawings would be great.

So, what I want to know is...What are other people with little real estate doing to work on their crap?

Thanks in advance.

I should add that at most I can have a 3x3 footprint or something that folds to a 2x4 footprint, something along those lines. (the lady friend has a lot of sh*t!)

Last edited by ihcj9; 11-28-2009 at 10:03 PM.
ihcj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i have a 3x6 wooden table in my garage and i just put a long shelf above it and thats what i keep everything on so i have as big as work as i can. and my table is tall so i keep my tool chest underneath it so its not taking up more room.
luke-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It's something you'll learn to adjust to, by default! :?

I'm relegated to a toolbox in the garage and a few Rubbermaid containers for the RC crap. My MRC Rockshow sits on my desk for "show" when she's not crawling and everything else is in boxes until it needs to come out. The kitchen table/counter(s) are my work stations. It can be done.

Shelves are a good idea for maximizing space, and can be made/built inexpensively.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihcj9 View Post

I should add that at most I can have a 3x3 footprint or something that folds to a 2x4 footprint, something along those lines. (the lady friend has a lot of sh*t!)
do you get your own room out of this space?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
do you get your own room out of this space?
I get some space. We'll see.

Quote:
It's something you'll learn to adjust to, by default!

I'm relegated to a toolbox in the garage and a few Rubbermaid containers for the RC crap. My MRC Rockshow sits on my desk for "show" when she's not crawling and everything else is in boxes until it needs to come out. The kitchen table/counter(s) are my work stations. It can be done.

Shelves are a good idea for maximizing space, and can be made/built inexpensively.
Thanks for the input. I will have to adjust to it. Right now I have all sort of space to work. it will definitely be a change.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I picked up a 2x4 foot Plastic folding table at costco for $32 bucks, works great. Mounted a desk lamp with the spring loaded arms on the side that can be put in all kinds of positions for $16 bucks at Staples. Makes a pretty good workstation.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

I think if I was to need a small space to build stuff. I'd start out by getting a few totes or a small cabinet to store extra parts in. Then get a small work station from Cow. Be handy cause you could set it on the table and work or even set it in your lap while watching T.V. to build stuff.

I've never tried one,seems like a good idea though.

COW PERFORMANCE WORK MATS
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I like the work mat idea and will have to look into getting one.
I'm in your boat and have made big adjustments. It's something that takes time and you get in with. I use totes for the rigs and parts of each one. The one I'm working on or using the most at the time is put in a kitchen cabinet I found at work. The cabinet is a 36inch base that gives me room to store my crawler and everything else I use on a normal basis (paint, tools, batts, charger, ext.) When working I pull out a trey that I use on the floor to fix or work on then when done I just pick the trey up and put in cabinet..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I play bass guitar and have my workshop set up in the practice room at the back of the house. Since the band I play with will often come over to practice I needed something that was fairly small, had a lot of storage and was easily portable.

I found a bunch of Sterilite 3 drawer "carts" on sale at Walmart so I grabbed them up, stopped at Lowes and got a few lengths of wood and some casters, then came home and bolted everything together. I've got 18 drawers for storage and a 33x28 work surface that can be pushed out of the way and takes up the space of a couple of storage totes.

It wasn't exactly the cheapest option but it serves my purposes better than anything else I could find. It even has plenty of storage for my RC and bass magazines.

silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

What about using one of those chopping islands for the kitchen sold at costco and sams club with drawers under it... Just a thought.
AZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
What about using one of those chopping islands for the kitchen sold at costco and sams club with drawers under it... Just a thought.
That is exactly what I thought. I was looking at them yesterday. Plus they can be rolled around and moved if necessary. I think I will try one of those with a COW Mat on top.