Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: what else is good for brazingn next to silver solder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default what else is good for brazingn next to silver solder?

my g/f's getting me a brazing setup for part of my christmas....just so i have something to mess with while being laid off, before school starts back up in January... so, i wanna get some cheap stuff to mess with. so far i've got a harbor freight bender, tube cutter, and 4 90* mini magnets....she's picking up a benzomatic 8000 kit for me next week...and then she'll get me some flux and some brazing metal. I see the harris stuff being recommended..but NO ONE local sells it. So...is there anything else i could use? i'm just gonna be making scale tube beds and chassis's out of 3/16" brake line (not stainless), modeled after the guys in my clubs, and my own, trucks/buggies.
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

When you say silver solder, are you refering to 45% silver or the plumbers 95-5? If it's the plumbers stuff good luck. I do refridgeration for a living and have great luck with 45% silver alloy braze when working with steel, just be sure to flux the crap out of it. Look around for places like Webbs, AIRGAS, or look for places that fill oxygen tanks for old farts, if nothing else they may be able to point in the right direction in your area.
mr.freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the 45% harris stuff.....but, like i said...we have no real welding or oxygen places local that carry anything. I can get the braze rods from lowes for cheap...but wasn't sure if they were worth buying or not.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

the rods from lowes work but there not cheap. You can get them allot cheaper at a welding supply store.. there is more cleanup with the flux covered rods to.

You have the internet there are welding supply stores online to..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

well, yeah....but i don't want to have to make my g/f search around and order stuff for me...since this is a christmas gift.

and lowes stuff is cheaper to me...my g/f works at their corporate office, so she gets a hefty discount.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i might just pick up some of the rods...and then still just order the harris stuff myself.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
dkf
Rock Crawler

Low fuming bronze.(The bronze rod coated with white flux) For tubes get the smallest size (1/16" I think)
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Low fuming bronze.(The bronze rod coated with white flux) For tubes get the smallest size (1/16" I think)

Where can you find the flux coated rods? Those are awsome, but I'm having trouble finding them. Welding supply stores?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Where can you find the flux coated rods? Those are awsome, but I'm having trouble finding them. Welding supply stores?
Flux coated rods will work and make strong joints. The cons are the flux application is not as even and complete as other materials, and the flux tends to spatter and leaves you with a lot more clean-up work to do. For this application get the smallest you can find, 1/16" if possible. 1/8" should be easier to find and works as well.

If you can get it, Harris Safety-Silv is the easiest to work with. It flows at a lower temperature than flux coated rod, and makes a prettier joint with less clean-up to do. It's worth the extra expense.

You can get flux coated rod at any of the big name "hardware" stores, Lowes, Home Depot etc. Any good welding supply should have either rods or Safety-Silv on hand...

Last edited by Big Mike; 12-07-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote