Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Anyone Used This Plasma?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone Used This Plasma?

I usually dont skimp on tools but I want to buy a plasma cutter and the price the selling point.. If it works decent then I think it would be worth a try. Ive read some positive stuff about it on Pirate and the 5 year warranty is good... I dunno... The Hypertherm 45 is 1600.00

http://www.longevity-inc.com/product...Cut-LP-40D.php
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i have one, it does fine for what i use it for. i don't really ever cut anything over 1/4" so it works good for that. the only thing i have to complain about it is the torch is kinda cheap. i broke the switch and the air hose pulled out of the crimp that holds it in. switch was only 8 bucks to get a replacement and i just hose clamped the airline back on. i don't have an air dryer so i usually run mine on co2. you can get about 45min of cutting out of a 20lb bottle
snowshoebrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoebrue View Post
i don't have an air dryer so i usually run mine on co2.
Go to your local automotive paint supply and get one of those dryers that take a roll of toilet paper. I think I paid like 40 bucks and have been using it on my Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50 for a few years without any problems.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

What will you be using it for the most? Heavy plate, light stuff or a mix? I have an older Thermal Dynamics 35 110 and then a Hypertherm on my plasma table. If your not going to use it much then it shouldn't be too bad, but if used frequently, get a better quality machine. Just from my past experience with the ones that I have. I've had the 35 for....like 15 plus years and the plas table for 12. I've only had to have the 35 repaired twice and the other never. Just tips and electrodes.

Last edited by R2j; 12-01-2009 at 09:05 PM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
What will you be using it the most for? Heavy plate, light stuff or a mix? I have an older Thermal Dynamics 35 110 and a Hypertherm on my plasma table. If your not going to use it much then it shouldn't be too bad, but if use frequently, get a better quality machine. Just from my past experience with the ones that I have.
Just once in a while for my Jeep, right now I need to cut and fab some motor mounts. I guess the heaviest would be about 3/8 for brackets and such..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Hell for that price and the amount of use, buy it. Sounds like it works alright. I just priced a demo model Miller with dual voltage and it was still $1500......so I just fixed the 35 for $120 and called it good. Also sounds like you can get parts for it pretty easy and cheap.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Cant vouch for that one but this is the one I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95136

a little more expensive, but HF sells the new tips for it redily available.

Ive cut up to 1/2" steel with it, takes some time getting used to cutting clean that deep but on smaller stuff 1/4" and less, its like hot knife through butter.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I ended up with the Thermodynamics 52 (220v) when it came out. It works great on everything I've thrown at it (up to 3/8" so far). The toilet paper filter mentioned earlier is likely the motorguard M-26 filter. They work great and really save your tips.

As for buying the plasma, be sure to shop online. My local welding shop wanted $1950 + tax, I got it online for $1480 free shipping/no tax.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote