Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Anyone use this for brazing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone use this for brazing?

I have a traditional Mapp setup, but this thing seems to have some nice features to it.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch.aspx
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

That looks pretty spiffy, Wonder how much it is?

Only thing I see wrong with it is, the tank size. you have to stick with that tank and not every store will carry the tank you need.

-Tom
The Loyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I imagine home depot or lowes will sell it, so there will be replacement tanks there too
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if it's not something brand new, then Lowes doesn't carry the tank. I, literally, picked up a ts8000 kit last night....and didn't see that, or anything other than the regular tanks there.
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Lowe's has the tanks of mapp for the @6.99 I don't see the actual quickfire unit anywhere.
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

wow...they're cheaper where you live! they're $7.49 here, regular price....i get em a little cheaper since my g/f works at Lowes Corporate lol
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Looks like it would be a pain to use. I use the traditional self-igniting Bernzomatic torch head and I guess I'm just comfortable with it, lots of little tricks I've learned with using it.

The one thing I don't like about the new torches is that they burn hotter by putting out a bigger flame. The flames from these torch heads are already too big really for building rc frames. A hotter, smaller flame would be much better.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Hateraide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Looks like it would be a pain to use. I use the traditional self-igniting Bernzomatic torch head and I guess I'm just comfortable with it, lots of little tricks I've learned with using it.

The one thing I don't like about the new torches is that they burn hotter by putting out a bigger flame. The flames from these torch heads are already too big really for building rc frames. A hotter, smaller flame would be much better.

i was about to say that lol, yea thats the big problem is the flame is way to large for making rc stuff, u need a smaller tip
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post

X2

ya i use the same torch as you, i actuily bought one of the older style non self igniteing ones for a smaller flame, prob be ok for brake line but takes to long for solid rod.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

What about the cutting tourch/ welder/ brazing thing a bob that I've seen Home Depot? it has a really small tip on it cost about $60 it looks great for small stuff

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/...3/Default.aspx

Last edited by Waldo76; 12-08-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Waldo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Post above this one is the kit I have, works great, eats up oxygen tho, I just ordered a jewlers torch, even smaller, comes with 6ft hoses hooks up to same bottles, ill let you know how it compares when i recieve it!
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I was at harbor freight the other day and had seen they hade a very smay cutting torch or hobby torch as they called it looked cool but cost was high I thought for $100
Waldo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo76 View Post
I was at harbor freight the other day and had seen they hade a very smay cutting torch or hobby torch as they called it looked cool but cost was high I thought for $100
I originally bought this one, used a 20%off coupon, problem is the pieces you need to hook them up to the disposable/recycle bottles they sell at home depot/lowes are 45$ each and you need 2. I bought this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3687

If you order use coupon code 523-250-643 works till Jan 1st, its a 10$ gift card on purchases over 59.99.

just recieved it yesterday, Personally I love it, doesnt come with 5 tips but the one it does come with will make brake line glow red quickly. 70 bucks and comes with the connections to the lowes and home depot disposable map and oxygen. Typically called a jewlers torch.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote