Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: I want to make a body/chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I want to make a body/chassis

I want to make a tube body with metal panels for my mrc, trying to do an exact copy of the lexan body it comes with. I have a hbz tube chassis but the body part of it is super small compared to the whole truck, and its very hard to tell which is the front and back it looks so alike.

Ive heard of using brake line? I assume this can be brazed. Should I just go with solid tubing. Is this something the local hobby stores stock in there usual tubing area. I dont usually look for that kind of stuff.

I want to start out making the body, and if possible maybe a chassis underneath it, but at least the body first. Any suggestions.

Im thinking it may be easy since the lines are very straight. Is the weight a concern?
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Have you tried using the "search this" button atop most of the forums? Try "brazing" or "how to braze". I cant remember who put there is a tutorial on here some where. Try google or youtube also. hope this helps.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Have you tried using the "search this" button atop most of the forums? Try "brazing" or "how to braze". I cant remember who put there is a tutorial on here some where. Try google or youtube also. hope this helps.

I know how to braze, was just wondering if the brake line could be brazed.

Anyways I found some solid rod at a hobby store and made the cage, up until I ran out of rod. Its an exact copy except for the rear that I added, but the size matches up to the body. I used my mig welder since it was solid. So far its going together very easily, and most of the rod I even cut little fish mouths to join the parts together.

Its going so easy im not sure if I want to continue it into a chassis, im worried about the weight so I may just put body mounts on it and try it as a body first.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I braze rod and brake line. I just machine clean the brake line before i braze it. to get most of the galvinizing off.Actually I machine every thing before i braze it.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Oh ya chassis loks good!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Set it on the truck, I think it looks cool without body panels.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looks good! Body panels would look good on it though.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well I finished, but I failed. Spent all day building it, with a splitting headache. Tried my best to make a chassis, but was to hard to line everything up. Also tried as many ways as I could think of to just mount the body and came up with using the plastic posts. I dont have many spare parts to try a different mounting option. Got it mounted up and the servo hits when moving the suspension. WHen it was in mock up the left side wasnt on so I never saw it would hit. I now see the front bends in about 1/2 inch more then the lexan body. My head is still killing me so im just going to give up. Maybe another day I will look at it more to see if I can salvage it and make a chassis. I may make cardboard templates for the 3 link mount and engine mounts. Thankfully I didnt ruin any stock parts and it can still be driven.