Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Air compressor owners - Questions for you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Air compressor owners - Questions for you!

I recently acquired my very first Air Compressor. I don't have any tools, hoses or accessories for it yet. The main reason I bought it is for painting (HVLP&other), nailing and general cleaning of items. Its rated at 6.5CFM@40PSI and 5.5CFM@90PSI. Not the most poweful, but best I could find at 110Volt.

I am wondering what tools you guys use the most and what you recommend for a first time user (tools, advice, etc.)

Hyperlinks would be very helpful if you have any tool recommendations. I do mostly online shopping because the information available is far superior than going to retail stores.

Thanks for your advice and your time!
FDAapproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'd have to say my favorite is a right angle die grinder and a sanding/polishing pad. Something similar to this. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7229_200397229

A small blowgun is always handy to have. An impact is handy if you work on cars or any machinery. You do get what you pay for, but I've been known to buy pneumatic tools from harbor freight. You can't beat it for the price and if you go in with the understanding that you'll throw it away when it breaks, you're doing alright.
NeoNeoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Believe it or not, Harbor Freight's pneumatic tools are pretty damn good. Their "earthquake" series is actually excellent, but the cheaper ones are just fine for anyone not using them professionally.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

just dont be afraid of using oil on your air tools. they will last longer. I have a few HF air tools. no huge problems. 3in cut off wheel is my fav for everything
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

if you are using anything pneumatic for longer periods of time, a swivel is worth its weight in gold. My grinders and air guns that i use at work have one of these on them.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_36635_36635

2 or 3 drops of triflow each time you use a pneumatic tool will help them live a loooooong time. Also don't forget to drain the tank once in a while. More often if it is humid where you live. To help reduce compressor noise in your shop, you can plumb the intake outside thru the wall. looks like the filter mount on your compressor has npt threads, so regular black iron pipe will work.

Last edited by rex cars; 12-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I would definatly recommend a water filter, dont need to rust your tools from the inside out. HF does have a great selection of tools for your air compressor along with decent priced hoses/fittings, dont forget the teflon tape :P
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Definately a blow gun. Its amazing how much junk it'll get off of a dirty r/c. Just be sure and get the good ones that don't have the safety holes in the tip.

An angled grinder is a good choice as well. Many many uses there.

Like the others have said, don't be afraid of HF's stuff. You'll pay a third or less vs buying a comperable high-end brand tool and you'll get the same warranty.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Do you keep pressure in your tank when you are not using it? Should I let it out after every time its used?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I always have pressure in mine as it gets used quite often.

x2 on the water filter and blow gun. like others have said Harbor freight stuff is fine for home use.IMHO
waterweezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
RCC Addict

In order of use in my garage.....

Tire chuck.
Impact.
Airbrush, has a separate regulator that uses quick connects so I leave the tank at 125 psi all the time.
Die grinder.

Skip the air ratchet. They suck so much air for the little amount of work they do it's not worth it. And they are annoyingly noisy. I find the die grinder sound less annoying.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

get a automatic drain kit, esp if your going use it alot in 1 day.
Must have items
Tire chuck
Blow gun, I like the vaculla brand,
die grinder
swivel elbow for hose, make sure you get one that has the ends opposite each other, not offset , I think the northen one someone posted is the correct style,I have either bluepoint- older style, newer ones sucks, and the matco - same thing different color
50 ft air hose and reel if you have the room for it
Prevost disconnect couplers, they are the freaking best, I use the 1 push type, others are double push so you dont get that quick release of pressure and watch the air tool go flying acrros the room and hitting somebody.
air filter and dryer if your doing any type of painting, make a drop down setup will help you with moisture removal also.
OIL AIR TOOLS DAILY WHEN IN USE, that does not include spray guns or blow guns, either air tool oil or atf.
Piston pumps breakin per manufacturer, then drain the oil and put mobil 1, run it for a couple hours in use, then drain again and put some good synthetic oil, ams, royal purple etc,makes a world off difference in piston pumps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AIR-COMPRESS...item5884eaa723 dump the plastic hose and run copper

Last edited by Joat; 12-12-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #12

looks like you have a lot of good information here as far as tools go. I just want to say make sure you let all the air out when you are done using it. Mine rusted due to the liquified air in the tank during compression....I left it in the tank too long. :(
olvegrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by olvegrn View Post
make sure you let all the air out when you are done using it. Mine rusted due to the liquified air in the tank during compression....I left it in the tank too long. :(
Thanks, I was worried this would be the case. I don't want my new air compressor rusting out from the inside. They should probably make some sort of automatic moisture evaporator to protect the inside.

I've put together a Compressor wish list/check list. Looks like a good starting point. Most items will probably come from Harbor Freight until I know which items I will be getting the most use out of. I can then upgrade if the Harbor Freight turns out to be total crap.

50" Goodyear Pliovic hose
Hose reel w/ enclosed retract guide, Manual retractable
Hose reel swivel
Stapler, Nailer, brad nailer
HVLP Spray Gun
Spray Gun for Latex Based Paints
Spray Gun Stand for filter/filling
Ratchet/Impact drill Combo Kit
In Line Moisture Filter
Engine Degreaser Cleaner wand
Blow gun assortment
Couplers, thread tape, Lube for non spray gun tools
3" Cutoff wheel
Tire inflator with dial gauge
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by olvegrn View Post
looks like you have a lot of good information here as far as tools go. I just want to say make sure you let all the air out when you are done using it. Mine rusted due to the liquified air in the tank during compression....I left it in the tank too long. :(
Never ever let all the air out, you always want some pressure in it, and you should always drain it at the end of the day after letting it sit for at least an hour, the automatic drain just helps keep the moisture out when the compressor is running.
If you want to take it a step futher, you can tear the compressor down and paint the inside of the tank, before you even use it for the first time, a 30 gal aint too bad, try a 60 or larger by yourself, I use to paint the inside of compressors before, but did not do my 60 gal just do the size and not having anyone to help me roll the sucker around
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
If you want to take it a step futher, you can tear the compressor down and paint the inside of the tank, before you even use it for the first time
What sort of paint?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i went to the plumbing store and bought several t's, 90's and close nipples and built a 6 out manifold for mine,,i can have my tools all connceted and just go from tool to tool instead of changing hoses each time,,or i can leave my die grinder in one location while my impact is somewhere else etc
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDAapproved View Post
What sort of paint?
Rustoleum, but if I where to do it again, they have this really good paint for automotive paint that locks in and out any rust I forget the brand ?
Also if you remove all the pressure,it take longer for the compressor to reach shut off pressure and the motor works that much harder, my compressor has been sitting 6 months + with 120psi in it, no problems, I did open the drain to let out that last bit of moisture after letting it sit for a couple days.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I would also say yes for the harbor freight tools for the as I call myself piddler
tt454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

It's already been stated several times, but I didn't see it on your final list. An angle grinder (to go with those 3" cutoff wheels) and Harbor Freight also has an "Automatic Drain Kit". If you don't want to spend the money on that, I have the drain on my compressor plumbed to a ball valve, then a piece of hose ran through the garage wall. You need to drain it DAILY.

Again, don't be afraid of those Harbor Freight air tools. I did the math once and you can replace a Harbor Freight air tool 3 or 4 times for what one Ingersol Rand, Mac, Snap-On, etc. will cost. As long as you oil them after each use and use a water seperator they will likely last forever.

The swivels are priceless for getting larger tools into confined places. Along those same lines, the Goodyear hose is awesome, but heavy and awkward. Consider also buying a small light hose to use around your work bench and with the HVLP.

The Harbor Freight HVLP spray guns (as with most other tools there) are knock offs of more expensive guns Like DeVilbiss and Graco. They work great, I have 2 of them. Just make sure you clean them well after each use. You might want to buy a metal dog dish to fill with paint thinner so you can dissasemble the guns and clean the parts better. You can also let the parts soak over night. Harbor Freight also has small various shaped brushes for detail cleaning that will help. Make sure they are nylon not stainless or brass.

Sorry for the rant, but I have over $40K invested in tools. Mostly Snap-On and Mac. I wish that Harbor Freight had been around 20 years ago when I spent the majority of my tool money.
Biggons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #20

Recently I've come to really appreciate my Harbor Freight pneumatic screwdriver. I had a set of hex drivers that fit in a drill or screwdriver. I built a venom creeper and was getting a sore arm from all those screws. The screwdriver on the light clutch setting allowed me to run screws in and just tighten them by hand. Saved a lot of time, it's really great for tear downs.
fisherkip is offline   Reply With Quote