Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Socket cap grub screw?...Is there such a thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Socket cap grub screw?...Is there such a thing?

Im looking for a metric socket head cap screw with knurls at the end of the screw. Does anyone make one? I know setscrews have the serations at the screw ends but ive never seen a regular cap screw have them. Im looking for this for my hot racing dig. Its gonna be holding the collar that attaches the shifter arm to the servo horn. Right now a regular cap screw holds a ball end to the collar which grabs onto the dig engagement shaft but its got no knurls so even if i tighten it down it can still be moved (with some force). I want it to "grab" on the shaft. Any other ideas out there in case they dont make this kind of screw?

Last edited by ser3100; 12-17-2009 at 08:03 AM.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Might want to post some picks... I dont think Ive ever seen anything like what you are talking about in a small RC screw. Maybe check and see what everyone else is using for this setup, you may find a easy-er way to do it.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Will do when i get home. I think i might have a way. Ill try it out and go from there.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Either file the end of the screw with a fine Swiss file (make a few shallow cuts across the diameter) or file a flat on the shaft so that the screw has something to bite on.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Im looking for a metric socket head cap screw with knurls at the end of the screw. Does anyone make one? I know setscrews have the serations at the screw ends but ive never seen a regular cap screw have them. Im looking for this for my hot racing dig. Its gonna be holding the collar that attaches the shifter arm to the servo horn. Right now a regular cap screw holds a ball end to the collar which grabs onto the dig engagement shaft but its got no knurls so even if i tighten it down it can still be moved (with some force). I want it to "grab" on the shaft. Any other ideas out there in case they dont make this kind of screw?
I filed a flat spot on the my hr dig shaft and also chamfered the end of the screw I used to do mine. so far so good with some blue locktite and an extra locking nut

mr.freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Cool. I got mine done. The tricky part was I'm running MIP ds and they are bigger than stock DS so I had to dremel some of the link off. Now I need to brace the bottom of the servoe cause it moves a little when the dig arm moves back and forth.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Any other ideas out there in case they dont make this kind of screw?
I think I know what you are talking about, but I have never seen anything like it.

What if you used a longer set screw with the knurls that you need, to tighten onto the shaft, and then use a nut on the exposed end to tighten the set screw in place?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote