Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: tuber/roll cage q

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Exclamation tuber/roll cage q

hey so when making a bumper, roll cage or tuber chassis i want to use brass so do i use rod or tube as tube will crush on rolls? or solid is more rigid or is it ok as tube?

thanks!
stampedecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Solid is heavy, my first tuber im making now is 3/16 brake line, make sure you clean it and remove the galv before you weld. I use a torch and lincoln electric welding rods, brass rods flux coated.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

he is talking about brass not brake line. brass is strong in a solid rod but i would think the tube would be too soft. it is cheaper to use stainless brake line.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

^ ok thanks, i like your sig ;)
how do you braze aliminum 1/4 tube? or will that be too weak also?
what size brakeline do i et and should i order it from repco and other auto shops we have (btw, my dads a mechanic so i get trade price hehehe)
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Sorry I mis read you were talking about using brass to make the bumper... Id probably still go with the steel brake line, 3/16 is a good size, depending on scale ive seen some guys use 1/8th" rod, even 1/4" brake line. On a nasty fall you can bend anything reguardless of the material. Brakeline is just pretty cheap and they sell it at pretty much any auto part store.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

yeah i will use 1/4 brake line, i also just tried bending a little tube i found on a prado fuel tank left out for srcap, with pliers and and vice, pipe kinks flat but get a spring and slide it over do the same and u get a real nice, round bend for those who dont know haha
Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

u can also get brake line benders from the auto parts store they dont make super tight bends but they get the job done.
smallblock500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i use 1/8 " rod or 3/16ths rod it is cheap and strong and easy to braze brakeline is about 7 bucks for 5 feet and it kinks if you don't use a bender with the rod i can bend it by hand or stick it in the vise and bend it by hand and get really tight bends i can do a 90 degree bend with no problem a 20 foot section will cost me about 4 bucks.1/4 inch rod or tube looks too big.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

does anyone know where someone can buy it in a bulk the local store here sells it 1 m for 9 dollers and can you tell me where u can get plans on different custom tube frames that can be copyed thanks
mysterygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

the problem is, that i was told in our country steel brake line is not saled at all. only brass. so my question was the same - is the brass frame strong enough for truggy cage, sliders, bumpers..? my idea was that structure makes it solid..
as i understand - its also easier to braze brass than steel. as i can have only small micro butane torch setup doing it inside small room.

Last edited by matador88; 03-31-2010 at 11:45 PM.
matador88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matador88 View Post
the problem is, that i was told in pur country steel brake line is not saled at all. only brass. so my question was the same - is the brass frame strong enough for truggy cage, sliders, bumpers..? my ide was that structure makes it solid..
as i understand - its also easier to braze brass than steel. as i can have only small micro butane torch setup soind it inside small room.
Brass rod will be strong enough, just a little heavy. Brass tube needs a little extra bracing. 1/8in (~3mm) solid rod will do well for bracing ~5mm tube.

For brazing brass, make sure the rod has a low melting point (well below ~920*C, preferably closer to 500-600*C). Your butane torch should do fine.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote