Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Harbor Freight welders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
MODERHATER™

Default Harbor Freight welders

I have been looking at a few, the price is real nice, I would like a tig or a mig, hell a stick I could deal with! I know how to weld.

Anyone using anything from them that is worth it or....?

I know that there are much better welders out there I have used them, but I am on a tight budget these days and I really only want to get one for small stuff, like crawlers and little stuff, I have a wicked arc for big stuff.

Input.... NOW!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i had used one of there mig welders and it had only two options for heat control and wire speed and by all means it was pretty cheap and did what i needed it to so i would get one if it suites your needs but i would definitively pay more money for one of the name brand ones much better quality and have you looked at Hobart welders there definitively worth there price
killa b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well harbor freight stuff is cheap and it dose work I've used one it worked great for what I needed for so with that why not if thats all you can afford!

It worked on my front bumper...

Last edited by rockerrc; 12-20-2009 at 08:12 PM.
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Like the saying ... You get what you pay for. However, I have a Lincoln 350mp and a Miller Big 40... I wanted somethin that was 110V just for r/c stuff and other small projects.. HF sent out a sales flyer that had one of their machines for $95... I bought it, So far, it works decent for 1/8"-1/4" material for chassis building..

It doesnt compare to my Lincoln, but i wanted something i could use more places( 110 vs 220v).. I would recommend getting the extended warranty with any HF tool purchase. The one for my machine was $12 for a year and $22 or something for 2 years...

Hope this helps
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

I've used this little 90Amp welder from HF for about a year now. It has been a great little mig unit! For $100 you can't beat it at all! I've used it for RC, the motorcycles, the Bronco, and using it to make a roof rack now. I'd say if your on a tight budget it's worth it daddy-0!
Attached Images

TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I've used this little 90Amp welder from HF for about a year now. It has been a great little mig unit! For $100 you can't beat it at all! I've used it for RC, the motorcycles, the Bronco, and using it to make a roof rack now. I'd say if your on a tight budget it's worth it daddy-0!
Especially when you get thoes nifty 20% off any one item coupon, you can find them all over online if you search, some HF wont accept printed ones, mine does, so give it a try!
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Damn $100 huh, might have to get one of those.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've had mine for a year or so. I think I've used it twice, but it was worth having both times. My welds look like crap, but they still hold.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

x2

its cheap and for rc stuff, will work fine
friscokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i a hobart and a little 90 amp HF machine. i do use the hobart for mostly everything, but the HF welder has come through in a pinch. what you have to look at is the duty cycle. the 90 amp machine does not have an internal fan so it will shut off to keep from over heating. so what i do is, when ever i am done running a bead i shut it off. it keeps it cool and it doesnt shut down so often. for rc stuff it will work good. just keep in mind the overheating issue.

also, get the warranty. you cant beat it. i hope this helps.
85toycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I've also been looking at these. Thanks for all the input!
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Anyone tried the $200 tig??

I have used the migs there fine for small stuff I have a couple buddies that have them and no real issue's other then short duty cycle but that does not matter on stuff this size.. make sure not to kink the whip the liner is kinda crappy.. I have seen the gun and whip retrofit to miller parts..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Jeep whore

Quote:

thats the one i use, it works fine for little rc stuff and things. def. worth the 100.00!
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I am courious if any one has used the TIG welder. If I remember right, it uses 220V. I would like to have a TIG but not able to spend the Coin on a good one. Any input would be great .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Everything I have purchased from Harbor Freight has been a huge pos. As far as there welders go, parts support is severely lacking. Its not going to do you a lot of good if you can't get consumables and replacement parts. The gas-less flux core wire really sucks. It doesn't wet in at all on a tack, it spatters like no other and it smokes a ton. Got to Tractor supply and look at there Hobart stuff, a little more money but it will be a much better purchase. You will be in heaven welding tubers with bare wire and 75/25 gas.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #16

I've had one for about 4ish years, rarely use it-hence why I bought this unit.

Only drawbacks I've had is the fuse blew once and the wire feeders don't feed anymore unless I rig up a pair of vise-grips to hold the wheels together.
Javage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #17
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Everything I have purchased from Harbor Freight has been a huge pos. As far as there welders go, parts support is severely lacking. Its not going to do you a lot of good if you can't get consumables and replacement parts. The gas-less flux core wire really sucks. It doesn't wet in at all on a tack, it spatters like no other and it smokes a ton. Got to Tractor supply and look at there Hobart stuff, a little more money but it will be a much better purchase. You will be in heaven welding tubers with bare wire and 75/25 gas.
I agree for the most part and you are the expert welder here! But if you get the warranty they will replace the whole thing for free and start the new warranty for the new unit! So when your close to your 2 year mark take it back and get a new one! You do get a bit of splatter with it though. Nothing the grinder or Dremel won't clean up though. Mine was $99 when I got it and I've seen them on sale for $79 a month or so ago. I think for someone who is just messing around with small stuff though it's a good buy. For a guy like you Jeff, no way!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I just bought a Hobart Handler 187 today. I went ahead and set it up on 75/25. It is a bad mofo........welds 3/8" fillets with room to spare almost completely spatter free.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...welder-3807126

Well worth the money. You can weld 100% of a 1:1 tube buggy progect with this.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #19

You basically get what you pay for. Like said before getting consumables like liners and drive wheel are going to tough to find, and who knows when the company will go out of business. Spend a few dollars more and buy a better name welder, you will be happier in the long run.
dodge44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #20

Default welder

i have the dual mig 151 i love it i paid 150 brand new it works great for the price i wouldnt weld real thick stuff though i also use gas setup
cklanish88mj is offline   Reply With Quote