Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Decent/Inexpensive [LCD] Micrometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Decent/Inexpensive [LCD] Micrometer?

I've gotten to the point where eye-balling on a tape' isn't cutting it for me anymore. lol

...was at OSH the other day and saw they have a decent looking Mic' for about $35 (price seems reasonable, or is this another 'get what you pay for'?). Haven't looked anywhere else; and since I know little about these things I thought I'd ask to see what you guys might be using.

I don't mind ordering online, but would rather buy local if I can. I've access to the typical HD/Lowes stores, as well as Harbor Freight.

Is there such a thing as a decent, inexpensive Micrometer (<$50)?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

I actually prefer calipers to micrometers when working on crawler stuff. Micrometers, although very accurate, are limited to certain ranges, usually in 1" increments. A good set of 8" calipers can do a bit more....I use mine for inside as well as outside measurments, depth measurments, height measurments and even for marking parts accurately. Calipers are more prone to user error, but if you pay attention they should be more than accurate enough for crawler work. Many will say you need to spend a good chunk of money, and yes that will get you more quality, but for under $50 you can get a set that will be far beyond what you can do with a tape and eyeball.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Most common response to all tools.... ready?.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47256

this is the one I use, works great and is pretty darn accurate, its what I use when building my tube chassis, its got ID and OD pins, when everyone was talking about ID of 3/16 brake line I was spot on with my measurements as they were, so its pretty accurate or everyone is using the same messed up pair from harbor freight
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Most common response to all tools.... ready?.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47256
this is the same set that i have, i had a set from lowes and the were not worth a crap so i took them back. got these and love em for the price
only thing is i got the 6" pair
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

1st off what you useing these measurements for?????????????? To use a handrill or a band saw or are you useing a mill lathe ect...
Because my thinking and experience at being a machinist for 20 yrs if you are useing hand tools then you are kinna wasting your money on anything more accurate than your tape measure. A good machinist rule and square and angle finder is an awsome start. Your average tape measure is good to about .015 maybe .010 if you have good eyes...
Now take that fairly accurate measurement and pick up your handrill (accurate to about .030) and see what ya get +- .030 .........

Just food for thought. BTW I have been useing my harbor freight digi calipers for a few yrs now and it is within .001 of my mitotoya(spellcheck) that I use at work. As with any caliper if the jaws are loose they will be inaccurate be it a 20$ cheapy or a 200$ top of the line model... Just some food for thought guys............
Why spend $$$ on something that isnt really doing any good.

Now on the other hand if you are useing a mill or some other accurate form of cutting/drilling ect then by all means spend the $$$ on a good tool!!! Good luck have fun and measure twice cut once.......
Dave
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think a good dial caliper would be a better choice for what you are doing. They are good for measuring and you can do so decent layout work with it if you are careful. My old boss in the machine shop would cover the surface of a work piece with blue dychem and then take the back of the caliper and put one side up to the edge and the other end out to where the mark should be. He would brush the sharp point and scratch throught the dychem to mark the location. If you are drilling holes and mark them this way and then center punch the locations you can be pretty precise with just a dial caliper and layout fluid (or you can color the surface with a black sharpie). This caliper would be a decent choice in that Enco import stuff is usually decent and reasonably priced. This one has an 8" inch capacity and measures down to the .001" I have a 6" and use it all the time....just take care of it and keep the chips out of it and it should work pretty well for a long time.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
billm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If you are using them to measure round stock, drill bits, etc., then a micrometer is the ticket. If you are using them to measure the length of links, checking the width of a new skid plate, etc., then calipers would be your better choice. I have a pair of Starrett dial calipers at work that I paid way over $100 for years ago, and I recently bought a pair of digital calipers from Harbor Freight that I paid $20 for. The cheap ones are just as accurate and I actually like them better because you can measure in inches or metric. I would recommend against the plastic ones though, pay an extra five bucks for the all metal ones.
Biggons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Good Help. Thank You.

Thanks for the great help, guys. Calipers is definitely what I want; my dumb ass was using the wrong word.

I've a Harbor Freight run to do today, anyway, so I'll scope out what they have.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Harbor Freight

Mitutoyo

strikingly similar, huh?

got one of each, 1 for work, 1 for home.
WARNING! going to harbor freight is like going to vegas. Do not under any circumstances take a credit card with you. Only take as much cash as you can afford to spend.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex cars View Post
WARNING! going to harbor freight is like going to vegas. Do not under any circumstances take a credit card with you. Only take as much cash as you can afford to spend.
i remember going in there once to buy some teflon tape and ended up walking out w/ a 5 gallon compressor
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Because my thinking and experience at being a machinist for 20 yrs if you are useing hand tools then you are kinna wasting your money on anything more accurate than your tape measure.
I highly disagree! I own neither a mill or a lathe...hell I don't even own a bandsaw or drill press yet (c'mon Santa!) and my digital calipers are one of the tools that never gets put away. It has seen duty above and beyond what it was intended for and has been indespensible. Probably the best $20 tool I've ever bought.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex cars View Post
...WARNING! going to harbor freight is like going to vegas. Do not under any circumstances take a credit card with you. Only take as much cash as you can afford to spend.

X2. I hate goin' in there. It's like goin' to walmart, even if you only plan to buy 1 five dollar item, I've never left there without spending at least 50 bucks. "Oh, and I need one of these and one of these and hey, this is only $5, and one of these......"
Biggons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I've got one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93293

Shoot for $10 if it sucks, oh well, it's probably way more accurate for my needs than the eyeball-ruler method... It looks very similar to the others but lacking a few things like the resolution (0.01" is just fine for me) and the finger dial, and depth guage, and if everyone else is happy with their Cen-Tech calipers, then I will probably be just fine with these.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Oh, I know about Harbor Freight!
I ended up getting these on sale for $16.99...and they've already proven themselves. Don't know why I waited.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
Oh, I know about Harbor Freight!
I ended up getting these on sale for $16.99...and they've already proven themselves. Don't know why I waited.
Nice score.......They look exactly like my Mitutoyo's
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Nice score.......They look exactly like my Mitutoyo's
They also look exactly like the $40 set that I bought off of the Matco truck.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I would buy a 6 or 8 inch dial caliper.

Here are some of my tools

Jeff

RallyeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the replies.

Nice, RallyeX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
They also look exactly like the $40 set that I bought off of the Matco truck.
Best 16 bucks I've spent there yet. It's already paid for itself.

I went back and got a kick arse heat-gun there, too - $10, on sale from $30.
...now to just slow down the heating so I don't bubble that Lexan (damn newb).
Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

As a machinist in the aeronautic/defense industry for over 20 years, I would suggest investing in a 6" or 8" analog (or digital) caliper. IMHO, micrometers are overkill in this hobby unless your machining parts from scratch.

A good STM caliper will run you $40-$50.

By the way Lonewolf... its spelled Mitutoyo
ASSASSINO is offline   Reply With Quote