Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Hobart Handler 187

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Hobart Handler 187

I couldn't find a good review for it when I was looking into a welder for the house. I talked long and hard about it with my local AirGas rep and decided to take the plunge. I figured a review would be helpful for anyone looking for a good 220v wire feed. I posted this on the TSC website.

I am a professional welder by trade, numerous certifications in Mig, FCAW, TIG, and SMAW. I recently purchased one of these machines to use in my garage. I am very impressed by the quality of welds that this machine produces. I use a wide range of machines at work, mostly 460 volt wire feeds and arc welders. This welder is on par with some of the $5000 miller 220 machines. I went ahead and set it up with Hobart .030 bare wire and a 20 cubic foot 75/25 argon/CO2 bottle. Very nice welds, almost completely spatter free. I would be comfortable welding a 3/8" fillet in one pass, and a 1/2" fillet in 3 passes. The only place it lacks is in the duty cycle, but for garage welding I don't think you would ever trip the fuses.

Very good product, I wish I had another one to use at work. I would recommend it to anyone. I was not expecting it to work as well as it does. I am blown away, great job Hobart/Miller.

This will work great for small rc tube chassis. The arc start up is very good, better than some high end welders. With the voltage setting at 1 and 75/25 gas it will provide clean good penetrating spot welds on solid rod and brake line.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...welder-3807126
Attached Images

Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I love my Hobart too!
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Hobart has really stepped up their welder quality in the past couple years. I was one of the 10 or so test sites for the new Ironman 230 and it is one of the best welders I have ever used. We typically use Miller 210/212 machines but the new Hobart machines are way more consistent and much better arc startupwith VERY little splatter like you said. It is way easier to dial in a much better arc than the Miller machines.

Glad you like the 187.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

fantastic welder. my brother has mine, so i will be be buying myself another one. if you buy one pony up and get the cart too.

hobart #770187 Large Cart
buying the bottle outright will save you $ in the long run too.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #5

You do know what you say to a guy with a low IQ?? Nice weld!!
Well I'm a welder buy trade also, I've been around the country welding in pulp/lumber mills. Any ways I have the lincoln verzion of what you have and I'm just as amazed how well these (littler) machine works with the gas I would trust them with a multi pass up to 1/2 inch. I must agree the cart was well woth it!! Just my two cents waiting to open presents.
Chemosh is offline   Reply With Quote