Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tool suggestions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tool suggestions...

Hey guys Im going to Lowes in a few hours and Im planning on spending 150.00 dollars... For a while today I've been thinking about getting a band saw they have for sale there for 114.00 and a 4.5 inch vise for around 35.00
For a while now I've been designing a truggy/flatbed with a cage around it and the only tools I have so far are a dremel, brake line bender and a torch....

Do you guys think a band saw is a good use of this money or should I be looking for a chop saw or some other combo of tools around that price mark...

I figured I could cut any angle I need with a band saw and a vise would kinda stand in for a drill press till I can save up another 100 bucks for a true drill press...
Veilside159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #2

IMO chop saws are better and most can be adjusted to cut most angles that you would need.
cptnmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

You need to get a bimetal blade most small bandsaws dont have them aval, so you'll need to go custom - probandsawworks.com
cheapest proce I found with shipping
Bandsaws are less messy and typically quiter then a chop/cut off saw , chop saws only do straight/angle cuts, bandsaws and do everything, including curves with the right blade, not as intricate as scroll and no inside cuts like a scroll,only limited by the throat for length.
If you want a really good small bandsaw get a proxxon, I love mine it also can do wet cutting which keeps the material cool and theres no dust/shavings flying around when cutting wet ,though it is twice your budget ,you wont regret it
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Just my opinion, but I'd get a good quality hacksaw, an assortment of good blades, and a cheap drill press instead of a bandsaw. In my experience, cheap bandsaws are more frustrating than useful.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I vote for the bandsaw vs. the chop saw. Just do some homework for wich one (thats in your budget) will be the best choice for what your going to be doing with it.

As for the vise and or drill press, i say get the drill press thing for your dremel
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-01&lpage=none
and get a small 4" - 6" vise from harbor freight. You can get them on sale for almost half of what their sites says now and they will most likely work just fine.
4" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30999
6" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31001

if you only have a $150 budget, you might want to save about another $20 and you can get a bandsaw, drill press and a vise
friscokidd is offline   Reply With Quote