Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Diffaculty of building a chassis based off a 1:1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Diffaculty of building a chassis based off a 1:1

Just how hard is it to build a tube chassis based off a 1:1?
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

You can make an RC replica as accurate as you want, and it isn't incredibly hard.
The things to consider:
- Budget
- Off the shelf parts available - what can you borrow from other trucks?
- Custom fabrication required - what do you have to make?
- Design work required - how do you put together the parts you have and make the scale look convincing?

I'd make a first build as simple as possible. A track bar looks cool as heck and simple to do, until you build it and realize the stupid thing just won't flex if it isn't done right. I've found many similar cases in my first replica build, and you will end up burnt out long before the truck rolls. Make sure you pick a 1:1 that is adaptable to standard transmissions, axles, steering, and batteries. Once there, you can use the truck as a platform to try more exotic ideas and work into better replicas. Expect problems with your first build, there will be plenty more opportunities to improve.

The actual tube work is extremely easy once you get used to it. Jigs make a big difference if you find a way to build them.

Hrm.. I hope I haven't missed the actual question here..

Last edited by vw_thing; 02-15-2010 at 03:18 PM.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can get it close, but there are a few factors that you'll need to work around.

Steering Servo - is far bigger than a steering box on a crawler and can be a challenge to incorporate into the design.

Shocks - are often larger than scale, so will also need to be worked around.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

This is the buggy I plan on building. Its Adam Woodlee's creation from Wide Open Design. Its there King of the Hammers buggy.
I gotta get permission from the owner to build it!

Last edited by country_crawler; 02-15-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Looks like a good design to start from. 4 link is not hard, there are plenty of set formulas to follow there. The overhangs on that frame will make battery mounting pretty simple, and they give enough clearance for axle-mounted servos. The flowing curves can be tricky, but you really just have to take your time

All you would need for that one is some pictures without the skins. .

Go for it, and post some pictures.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you dont need permission to make a replica r/c truck of that... IF anything they should be honored...
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
you dont need permission to make a replica r/c truck of that... IF anything they should be honored...
Yes I know, but its always good to get permission to do that.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
No, it's a waste of time, and giving them the option to say no- then where does that leave you?

If anything, I would ask them for more detailed pictures of the rig. Some build up shots, shots with the body off, etc. The more the better, these are good for getting general dimensions and scale. When building a replica, all you really need to shoot for is getting the major look and feel of the rig- don't stress out about the shocks and steering servo. Also, make sure in the end, you have a usable rig- I cannot tell you how many scale builds I have done that looked awesome and replicated the 1:1 very well, but performed like a turd... crushed and rebuild.

Don't burn your house down.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
Some drivers will even help out with additional photos and measurments. Power Giant helped out shierkahn on his Pirate M38A-1 build.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
No, it's a waste of time, and giving them the option to say no- then where does that leave you?

If anything, I would ask them for more detailed pictures of the rig. Some build up shots, shots with the body off, etc. The more the better, these are good for getting general dimensions and scale. When building a replica, all you really need to shoot for is getting the major look and feel of the rig- don't stress out about the shocks and steering servo. Also, make sure in the end, you have a usable rig- I cannot tell you how many scale builds I have done that looked awesome and replicated the 1:1 very well, but performed like a turd... crushed and rebuild.

Don't burn your house down.

p!nK
My comment about shocks & servo wasn't so much for him to stress about them as just to keep in mind that he'd have to build around them. I would have them on hand while building, just so he doesn't build it and find out that there is no way to mount the parts necessary for it to run.

You often have to sacrifice a bit of scale look in order to mount larger than scale items. Don't stress about keeping an exact scale.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
RCC Addict

it is easier to build a chassis around a servo than to build a servo around a chassis.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Some drivers will even help out with additional photos and measurments. Power Giant helped out shierkahn on his Pirate M38A-1 build.
Well on his website theres plenty of pictures, and when me and my dad go 1:1 crawling, sometimes hes at the same parks that we go to, and he knows some of the people we go with pretty good, so I'll ask him in person.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Thanks Juan....Still a work in progress though. Funny how ya run outta time when ya get called back to work.

The guy probably won't say no... and it's great if they say yes. PG got me all the info and requested pics of his rig.

One of these days I'll be able to get'r done. Good luck with your build
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote