Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: sand/media blasting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default sand/media blasting

what is the best media or sand for blasting aluminum? Im getting a cheap harbor freight blaster tomorrow and I have some stuff I need to blast for a build so that it all matches:?
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You can use Walnut shell, aluminum oxide, Black beauty( some call it black diamond), sand. #1 would be good for small stuff, gives a smoother finish than using #2 sand..

Have a Tractor Supply close? You can buy 50lb bags of Black diamond there for like $8.99 is what I think I paid for the last bag i got..
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

What are you getting it ready for? Paint....powder-coat....bare finish? Walnut shells will work, but if you want to paint or powder-coat, I'd go with something a bit more abrasive. You want to give the finish some tooth for your coating to adhere to. Black Beauty is great for this.....you can get it at welding supply stores......actually it's coal slag. Cheap and works well.

Whatever you get, WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!! You only have one set of lungs

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 02-26-2010 at 07:13 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
What are you getting it ready for? Paint....powder-coat....bare finish? Walnut shells will work, but if you want to paint or powder-coat, I'd go with something a bit more abrasive. You want to give the finish some tooth for your coating to adhere to. Black Beauty is great for this.....you can get it at welding supply stores......actually it's coal slag. Cheap and works well.

Whatever you get, WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!! You only have one set of lungs
bare finish, already have a respirator for welding, I have to weld some nasty steel that is coated for my real job
Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Their is no real bad way to strip something. Sand blasting, media blasting and soda blasting all get the job done.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

what will give the best looking finish?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
gas
Rock Stacker

i just use fine sand the cement guys use its 4 bucks for 50# at home depot works great
gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have bead blasted a lot of various types of aluminum, polymer, SS, steel, etc.

Sand blasting is really a removal media. Wanna remove rust, paint, etc., go for it.

Sand blasting is inappropriate for doing a matte finish, which sounds like what you want. Sand blasting will pit, and damage your material. You want to glass bead blast it. Glass dulls, and gives a matte finish, without pits, damage, and leaves aluminum nice and smooth.

Glass, definitely glass!
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
I have bead blasted a lot of various types of aluminum, polymer, SS, steel, etc.

Sand blasting is really a removal media. Wanna remove rust, paint, etc., go for it.

Sand blasting is inappropriate for doing a matte finish, which sounds like what you want. Sand blasting will pit, and damage your material. You want to glass bead blast it. Glass dulls, and gives a matte finish, without pits, damage, and leaves aluminum nice and smooth.

Glass, definitely glass!
well actually I want both, I need to remove ano. and powdercoat then finish it
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I hate removing powder coat, takes a bit, but the bead will do it, just have to use larger beads.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I used to blast intake mainfolds. Glass beads gave a nice brite finish. The others left a dark dull mate finish.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have always gotten matte. Does the brighter finish come from a certain size media, and using it on aluminum/iron manifolds? Would the specific alloy of aluminum, impact whether the finish was matte or shiny?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I use silicon carbide 120 grit on glass that works pretty well on alum. It won't pit as much because of the fine grit. Whatever you do don't use sand that chit will kill you
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
I have always gotten matte. Does the brighter finish come from a certain size media, and using it on aluminum/iron manifolds? Would the specific alloy of aluminum, impact whether the finish was matte or shiny?
I guess its somewhat like sanding something with 120 vs 600 grit sandpaper. I used it on aluminum manifolds. I got it from Northern Tool. It was super fine and super slick. It said right on the bag that it would leave a nice finish. I forget the exact words it said, but something about a brite finish. I do know it made the aluminum look brand new. I does still leave a grainy surface. Not a polished finish at all. If you blast a polished surface it will be gone.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote