Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Noobie help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Default Noobie help please

So is it ok to use a bernzomatic propane torch head for mapp gas? And say for instance if I did, is the flame supposed to be invisible. Sorry im new to mapp gas but not to welding and oxy acetylene brazing. Thanks in advance.
84xcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm not sure I would advise it. Conventional wisdom would say the torch could handle the extra heat, but I imagine the company only makes them "just good enough". Check the documentation that came with your torch. A quick google turned up a few scattered results that suggest no to MAPP through a propane torch.

Either way, it is a stream of gas lit on fire. You would see a flame.

If you are used to oxy-acetylene, I see no reason not to use it over MAPP.. With a little practice you can make TIG-like tack welds then fill everything over with brazing. Much more versatile.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #3

So i sparked it up to see what would happen, probably not the best idea... But the results were a flame invisible to the eye in the daylight. I wish I still had access to oxy acetylene but unfortunately I dont.

On a brighter note, I was able to find my dads old oxy-mapp setup. I know itll go through oxygen tanks quick, but its better to be sure its safe then to find out its not.
84xcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xcab View Post
So i sparked it up to see what would happen, probably not the best idea... But the results were a flame invisible to the eye in the daylight. I wish I still had access to oxy acetylene but unfortunately I dont.

On a brighter note, I was able to find my dads old oxy-mapp setup. I know itll go through oxygen tanks quick, but its better to be sure its safe then to find out its not.
I've ran MAPP Gas through a Propane Torch Head, It didn't get as hot as MAPP Gas should, so I stopped.
717CRAWLERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

Yeah it will definately work, and wont harm anything. It just wont be as hot as it could be, because it doesnt have the proper air/fuel mix.
scouperacer is offline   Reply With Quote