Notices

Thread: Propane Brazing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Propane Brazing

Would a propane torch work for brazing?
I now it works for soldering.
Would I use a simular filler as soldering?

Related question, Can aluminum be brazed and is there a special procedure as with tig?
Tortuga275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Use mapp gas. Propane just wont cut it. Don't let Hank Hill fool ya,-PROPANE SUCKS (when it comes to brazing or grillin')

and yes Alum. can be brazed. I personally have not tried yet-but I do have some alum. rods...
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I hear this all the time and I beg to differ, I use propane 80% of the time when building my chassis, bumpers and what not. Bumpers I make from 1/4" solid rod and its brazed with a propane bottle. I am by no means a professional chassis builder, but I've built at least 4 chassis and all kinds of bumpers for my rigs and I've only had a few small failures mainly because of the lack of trianglated support. I will say that mapp gas is a little faster to use, but to say that propane does not work is not a real good answer.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I just got a Mapp gas/Oxy tourch from home depot that works great, and it was cheaper then the straight mapp gas set up. I also talked with the guys at the welding shop, and they all said propane will work fine just takes a bit longer, but on the flip side it is 1/2 the price of mapp gas.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I just got a Mapp gas/Oxy tourch from home depot that works great, and it was cheaper then the straight mapp gas set up. I also talked with the guys at the welding shop, and they all said propane will work fine just takes a bit longer, but on the flip side it is 1/2 the price of mapp gas.
Thats my what I've heared and seeing as this is gonna be my first venture into brazing I don't want to spend much. I'm not worried about it taking long.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

I just invested in to equipment and some brass rod to start my build. I went with Propane due to cost since it will do the same thing just a little slower! I have my plans but to be honest I am worried about weight with the 3/16 solid brass rod. I also got a sheet of aluminum to build some side panels to make it a little more realistic. I haven't started melting anything but looking forward to it. I need a solder/torch mat or a steal plate.
TroyKrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i have a bernzomatic propane, and a mapp fatboy.

The propane works fine on the 3/16 brakeline Ive been using, but when Im brazing on brass sheet I use the mapp
Positronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Propane is hot enough to braze steel.. The only problem is that it will take longer to heat up, so you will go through more gas. You don't really have to worry about melting the steel, which is a big plus when you are learning. Ideally, use the smallest rod possible and melt it with the hot steel rather than the flame. You can use the flux as a temperature indicator. When the flux is molten, the steel is hot enough to melt the rod (assuming the rod and flux match and the rod isn't too big).

It is possible to weld aluminum with propane, since the flame (~2500F) is hotter than the melting point of aluminum (1220F). Aside from TIG, propane would actually be the best choice for small scale work due to the low heat and neutral flame. It is important to hit the aluminum with a scotchbrite pad to clean off the surface layer of aluminum oxide before welding. You should be able to find Harris bare aluminum rod at a local Tractor Supply Co. or welding shop.

Copper alloys like brass and bronze can also be welded with propane, though 3/16in solid will take a long time to melt. You will probably want to consider a silver-based brazing alloy for that purpose. It will result in a fairly heavy chassis, so don't go crazy with bracing. Concentrate on good joints and you won't have any strength issues.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm gonna try to do a trailor before I attempt a chassis or cage. I feel a trailor would be a bit easier to learn on cause I know how to mig a 1:1 trailor together.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

do yourself a favor and get the harris 45 saftey silver. The bras will be a PIA to melt, and i think the silver has a higher strength. I used brass then the silver, and I will never use the brass again.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

For more info Im gonna be using alum. and steel, cause I have sheets of those around the house.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default .

Not today or tomorrow!
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxtonSlaughter View Post
Not today or tomorrow!
Uhhh.. What
Old 03-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Here is all the info on brazing, material, equipment, charts tables ect.
http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...ents.htm#Index
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
Here is all the info on brazing, material, equipment, charts tables ect.
http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...ents.htm#Index
Thanks thats really helpful.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
Use mapp gas. Propane just wont cut it. Don't let Hank Hill fool ya,-PROPANE SUCKS (when it comes to brazing or grillin')

and yes Alum. can be brazed. I personally have not tried yet-but I do have some alum. rods...
Quote:
Originally Posted by allgm1 View Post
I hear this all the time and I beg to differ, I use propane 80% of the time when building my chassis, bumpers and what not. Bumpers I make from 1/4" solid rod and its brazed with a propane bottle. I am by no means a professional chassis builder, but I've built at least 4 chassis and all kinds of bumpers for my rigs and I've only had a few small failures mainly because of the lack of trianglated support. I will say that mapp gas is a little faster to use, but to say that propane does not work is not a real good answer.
I never said it doesn't work. I said it doesn't cut it I use mapp & I am actually thinking of getting a Oxy/Mapp setup. Propane may work but it takes too long to heat up, Mapp takes long enough IMO...
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote