Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Mapp gas only small tip torch.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Mapp gas only small tip torch.

I have been reading will continue to dilligently do so. I am looking at a BernzoMatic TS7000T

lol cut and paste sorry...anyway wanted to use with harris 56 and white flux. My question is I would like a smaller tip torch to work with for detail heating areas, is there not a small good torch that ONLY uses Mapp gas other then these Bernz torches that are so large. I would use the Smiths Little torch but I dont want to use the Oxy mix for cost reasons and all the extras I will need.

Help me out guys. I am going to go buy something tomarrow and want to make the right choice.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
I have been reading will continue to diligently do so. I am looking at a BernzoMatic TS7000T

lol cut and paste sorry...anyway wanted to use with harris 56 and white flux. My question is I would like a smaller tip torch to work with for detail heating areas, is there not a small good torch that ONLY uses Mapp gas other then these Bernz torches that are so large. I would use the Smiths Little torch but I don't want to use the Oxy mix for cost reasons and all the extras I will need.

Help me out guys. I am going to go buy something tomorrow and want to make the right choice.
That's what Ive been using for quite some time now. It has its ups and downs. Trigger on/off and the price is an up side to to them. The down side is the size of the tip and the wide burn area they have. It makes it difficult at times when brazing near an existing joint.

The smaller tip kits like the jewelry ones with the Oxy and Mapp I think are really the better way to go. They help concentrate the heat on a smaller area. This can help when you get into the complex frames with joints close to each other, building tubers on existing frames like the SCX's and when it comes to clean up time you have smaller burn areas and flux.

I haven't seen any small tips that can use just Mapp yet, would love one if there was. The Benzo tips are fluted/designed/what ever the tech term is for just Mapp. The small tips need the Oxy to mix with the Mapp to create that torch burn to them. Ive tried just Mapp and all it did was just look like a lighter and smoke.

Last edited by Robbob; 04-04-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I found the little torch the ideally for the application but after you get the torch Kaeto metioned I would also need

A low preasure regulator from Smith to attache a disposable propane/MAPP gas bottle (about $40.00). These bottles last a tremendous amount of time and are cheap to get. The next item is an Oxy regulator from Smith. These are pricey at $100.00, but totally worth it as the Oxygen goes quickly and a 20-40lb refillable is the only way to go. I would use 3-4 oxy bottles from Home Depot at $7.00 each, so it does add up. Last but not least, you will need the Oxy tank itself. They range in price (depending on size) but your looking at about $100.00 for that. My local shop only charges $10.00 to refill it and my 20lb bottle lasts about 10 builds.

Now with that for a noob at brazing like myself, Im looking at like a $500 just to get the "right" set-up. This is going to be my next obsession for my RC ocd fullfillment, I love building even more then running them, and this seems like a natural progression for me. I also like the best but that kind of money scares the shit out of me just to be a begginer.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I cheat, i have a jewlers torch for my full size oxy/acc set up works well for those times i don't feel like mig or tig.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

oxy/mapp mini torch is the way to go nice and tight heating area very detailed. Still learning how to braze with it but i have been fortunate enough to have been given this set up, but i have priced it out and it is very expensive!
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

there's a mini torch in the Micro-Mark catalog that uses only propane or mapp gas, they claim it's a 'turbo torch' which draws in air around the nozzle, eliminating the need for a separate OXY tank. I haven't purchased one, I'm hoping to see one in person before I decide if I could use it.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote